WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are finishing a vacation in Puerto Rico. As most of you, we were shmoozing through some stores and found a Breitling dealer in the Ritz. Nice guys very accomodating and couldn't do enough to show us watches.

My wife spotted a Galactic Steel/Gold on TT bracelet with a solar bronze dial she liked. Until now she had never really cared for Breitling. Her B-Day is at the end of the month and I'm happy to get her one for her B-Day.

b71356LAq580-tt_main.jpg
The price was not bad. they can sell to US citizens duty free and made a big deal of this. They would also ship (for a fee ) to save the sales tax. The $4830 duty free price amounted to a 13% discount off the list price of $5600. Not bad, but I thought I could do better.

I got on the internet do some comparative pricing - not buying. My impression seemed to be correct. Next morning I got on the phone to call a dealer I new back in the States. While waiting for a return call from the States I called the local dealer back and asked for another 10%. The store manager told me he would have to check with higher ups, they're policy at this time was NO - he new I was a collector and had contacts and was checking prices.

Call came back from the States. They could do an additional 10% including shipping, a 24% discount. Went back to the store to make sure I was comparing apples to apples told them of the other offer and they could not or would not match it.

First thing Monday the order will go in for the watch.

This may not work all the time but the lesson to be learned is you have resources at your fingertips, USE THEM. You can check pricing on line. Remember Gray market pricing may not be the value it seems. You have a cell phone use it, there is nothing wrong with calling another dealer to check a price.

This was where I found the Tourbillon , but at $150K it was out of my range.
BforBTourbillon2.jpg

BforBTourbillon.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts