WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, let me tap into your experience and knowledge; I'm looking at adding a Sinn to my collection. I'm keen on the divers, and am asking any owners out there for their experience with Sinn in general for service, and specifically, for their experiences with the U2, the UX (which I understand is oil-filled) and the U1. With the UX, are there service issues or regular maintenance that needs to be done due to the oil design?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hello all, let me tap into your experience and knowledge; I'm looking at adding a Sinn to my collection. I'm keen on the divers, and am asking any owners out there for their experience with Sinn in general for service, and specifically, for their experiences with the U2, the UX (which I understand is oil-filled) and the U1. With the UX, are there service issues or regular maintenance that needs to be done due to the oil design?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris
U1 is a great watch. Very sturdy, automatic movement and none of the maintenence issues associated with oil and argon implant or whatever it is that turns blue signifying and expensive service charge

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hi Chris.

With the argon and copper/sulphate capsule system on the U2 and with the silicon oil filling on the UX, servicing is done in Germany. There was some talk a while ago about Sinn building and setting up an argon filling machine for the North American repair facility so they can do argon filling in the US but nothing has apparently come of this as of yet.

Another interesting and important piece of information regarding the oil and battery replacement for the UX is that Sinn will wait until there are enough watches in for this service before they do the servicing as it is apparently expensive and time consuming. Hopefully others can expand upon this and other info regarding the U2 and UX service and repair issues.

For ownership experiences on the U2 and the UX as well as the U1, please visit the sticky thread "Unofficial U series ownership experience thread" Pages and pages of actual owners who have put up their experiences for others who are interested in these models.

I hope this information was helpful to you

best regards,
Tim

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll check into the associated threads. Good to know the full Monty about the servicing of the Ar-filled and oil filled cases; best to know that sort of thing going in. I'm guessing that the U1 mechanism is a solid workhorse? I guess I'm looking for low-maintenance and durability. Mr2blue makes a great point; the dehimidifying capsules colour change indicates expensive maintenance......

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I had a U1, now I have a UX, either is a solid choice.
U1's have the ubiquitous 2824, mine ran rather fast at +6 to +8 or so per day.
Long term maintenance wise, the U1 should be less expensive.
Unless you're dead set against quartz, I find it totally cool that the UX, with it's thermo comped movement is so completely spot on and now my "reference" watch for setting others.
The oil filled dial gives a really unique look to the UX, especially when viewed at extreme angles. You really have to see it for yourself to appreciate how cool it is.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll check into the associated threads. Good to know the full Monty about the servicing of the Ar-filled and oil filled cases; best to know that sort of thing going in. I'm guessing that the U1 mechanism is a solid workhorse? I guess I'm looking for low-maintenance and durability. Mr2blue makes a great point; the dehimidifying capsules colour change indicates expensive maintenance......
Hi Chris.

When the dehumidifying capsules change colour, that means that the watch becomes like the U1 around the same time....a watch with a whithering water resistancy. The U1 and the U2 both use viton gaskets and will degrade pretty much along the same timetable. When the U2 shows a blue colour, it states the status of the watch's water resistancy so you don't really have to have the watch's argon and c/s capsules changed. The U2 without the argon and c/s capsules now becomes a U1 or any other watch. You paid for the tech but it does not need to have it to run. You can have the gaskets changed and the watch serviced at the nearest designated service center.

The watch needs to be sent to Germany only if you want to retain the argon and c/s capsule dehumidifying tech.

What I do like about the U2 is that it states your watches current ability to handle moisture ingress. You are never really sitting there wondering if it's okay to use diving.

cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so if I understand, as the capsules become more saturated and change colour, this does not affect the efficacy of the water resistance? My key concern here is that I'd have to send the watch to Deutschland from Canada every year or something for Argon re-filling.......

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Chris. The U2 and other Sinns with this technology have gaskets. These gaskets will always let a little amount of moisture vapor into the watch. Always. There is no such thing as a hermetically sealed watch. The gaskets in the U series are viton and they are very efficient at stopping the absolute most amount of water vapor entering in as possible. But....vapor will enter into the watch, like all other watches.

The c/s capsules absorb these molecules of water vapor and eliminate it's presence in the watch so that it can't contact the oil and movement. Moisture will degrade the oil over time.

Sinn also uses special oils which protect the movement better and allow longer servicing. The oil also allows the watch to be worn and used in temperatures of -45 celsius.

Because of the absence of air and moisture and the presence of the special oil, your watch will have an extended period of time before servicing. The dehumidifying technology in the U2 will extend the life of the oil and subsequently servicing. Instead of a service interval of about 3 to 5 years, you most likely will experience a longer period. As long as the viton gaskets hold out..that is.

Once your c/s capsules are full, your U2 will not be capable of absorbing anymore moisture. If your gaskets are still ok, you are still ok. If not, well, they bought you a lot of time.

It is important to note that if your site glass is changing rapidly, that would mean that your gaskets may be compromised and your water resistancy is fading fast.

My U2 is about a year old and the site glass has not changed colour...it's still white.

cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris. The U2 and other Sinns with this technology have gaskets. These gaskets will always let a little amount of moisture vapor into the watch. Always. There is no such thing as a hermetically sealed watch. The gaskets in the U series are viton and they are very efficient at stopping the absolute most amount of water vapor entering in as possible. But....vapor will enter into the watch, like all other watches.

The c/s capsules absorb these molecules of water vapor and eliminate it's presence in the watch so that it can't contact the oil and movement. Moisture will degrade the oil over time.

Sinn also uses special oils which protect the movement better and allow longer servicing. The oil also allows the watch to be worn and used in temperatures of -45 celsius.

Because of the absence of air and moisture and the presence of the special oil, your watch will have an extended period of time before servicing. The dehumidifying technology in the U2 will extend the life of the oil and subsequently servicing. Instead of a service interval of about 3 to 5 years, you most likely will experience a longer period. As long as the viton gaskets hold out..that is.

Once your c/s capsules are full, your U2 will not be capable of absorbing anymore moisture. If your gaskets are still ok, you are still ok. If not, well, they bought you a lot of time.

It is important to note that if your site glass is changing rapidly, that would mean that your gaskets may be compromised and your water resistancy is fading fast.

My U2 is about a year old and the site glass has not changed colour...it's still white.

cheers,
Tim
Tim, thanks for the reply. I'd be interested to hear from any other U2 owners about the service intervals. If it were something simple, I wouldn't be concerned, but since the copper sulphate capsules and the Ar gas need to be done in Germany, I'd be curious to know what the average service intervals for these watches are. I've been reading various posts under this forum and am certain that I'll end up choosing between the U1, UX or U2, depending in part on what I learn here.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Chris,

the copper sulfate capsule is much more important than the Argon filling. The Argon filling just takes up space inside the watch so air, and by extension humidity, can ingress the watch less easily (no seal is completely airtight). But it is the copper sulfate capsule that does the job of mopping up the moisture, preventing its mixture with and degradation of the lubricants.

I am not sure that the watch has to go back to Germany for the copper sulfate capsule change alone, though the technology is mostly used in conjunction with the Argon-filling (except in the 756/856, IIRC).

Service interval will, in my opinion be largely determined by the movement, and not the seals/capsule. Every five years sounds a reasonable time for mechanical ETA movements; I wouldn't stretch it beyond that, but opinions about service cycles vary greatly. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Chris,

the copper sulfate capsule is much more important than the Argon filling. The Argon filling just takes up space inside the watch so air, and by extension humidity, can ingress the watch less easily (no seal is completely airtight). But it is the copper sulfate capsule that does the job of mopping up the moisture, preventing its mixture with and degradation of the lubricants.

I am not sure that the watch has to go back to Germany for the copper sulfate capsule change alone, though the technology is mostly used in conjunction with the Argon-filling (except in the 756/856, IIRC).

Service interval will, in my opinion be largely determined by the movement, and not the seals/capsule. Every five years sounds a reasonable time for mechanical ETA movements; I wouldn't stretch it beyond that, but opinions about service cycles vary greatly. :)

Great points Martin! The U series of watches are now a little over a year old. That is, the first of the U's started coming out in late summer 05 I think. Looks like us guys who have had the chance to purchase our U's in 1995 will be the testing grounds on the durability of the U series of watches. My U2 is almost a year old now, probably is from time of manufacture, and I will be keeping all of you updated on my continued ownership experience in the U series ownership exp. thread.

I would think that the pure internal environment would add to the life cycle of the movement. No air and no moisture = reduced rate of oil degradation and movement corrosion (how very little that would be anyway).

I would like to take this time to reach out to the long time U watch owners for a few minutes of their time to put down their thoughts, good and bad, in the U series ownership experience thread, so we can get some consensus as to how these things are holding out. In particular, the U2 owners. I would like to hear how the movements are running and the colour of the site glass and any change of such. I think this would be great for those who are looking at purchasing one.

cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is of help, thanks Tim. I'll also keep an eye out for other posts concerning ongoing U-series performance.

Best,

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts