WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This will be my first "luxury" buy (grew up on casio, "nice" watch currently is a Zelos Mako v2) and I have been waiting 3 months for this weeks announcement. The blue is not for me, meaning I want the original! That being said, I'm a little unsure of what to do next. I thought buying now would be a good idea as everyone is going crazy of the blues, and maybe I can grab a original at MSRP or under, but part of me is also thinking to wait a few months more and possibly definitely get under MSRP? I want to buy new from an AD if that makes any difference.

Also, if paying cash is asking for a tax discount taboo? I've watched a few videos on "what to and not to ask", but I don't want to come off as a dick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can always try. What's there to loose. But in saying that, not many ADs will give discounts on Tudor nowadays.

I got a leather strap for my tudor chrono and asked for a discount, the sales rep said, there is no discounts for Tudors.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can always try. What's there to loose. But in saying that, not many ADs will give discounts on Tudor nowadays.

I got a leather strap for my tudor chrono and asked for a discount, the sales rep said, there is no discounts for Tudors.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Very true, If there won't be one in a few months, probably won't be one now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Definately no discount on the 58. Very hard to get a discount on any other of the popular models as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just wait. It is a Tudor. As for the pricing, be glad you can pay MSRP for it. Discounts are a long shot at best.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You will not get a discount on a new 58 in any color on steel for a long while. They are just too popular. Maybe on fabric or leather, but I don’t know if that’s even a possibility. Your best off paying retail when your number comes up at an AD. If a discount is a must, buy used on the sales forum from a reputable member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will not get a discount on a new 58 in any color on steel for a long while. They are just too popular. Maybe on fabric or leather, but I don’t know if that’s even a possibility. Your best off paying retail when your number comes up at an AD. If a discount is a must, buy used on the sales forum from a reputable member.

It's not, just a thought haha. I basically was debating if buying now or later was the right move, mine as well buy now!

Now I just need to decide if I care about getting it on bracelet if I plan on switching it out with strapcode anyways.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It's not, just a thought haha. I basically was debating if buying now or later was the right move, mine as well buy now!

Now I just need to decide if I care about getting it on bracelet if I plan on switching it out with strapcode anyways.
Strap code seems to be the popular choice for those not feeling the rivet bracelet. From what I’ve seen, looks like a good option. I’m not a fan of either bb58 leather strap option. I feel like there are a bunch of great leather strap makers out there. I’m considering a Hodinkee or a Molequin leather for my incoming blue dial. For that reason, I’d choose the bracelet or textile single pass. Good luck with your choice. The 58 seems like an epic one-Watch choice.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
While you can always ask, you should expect that there will no zero discounts. It'll be MSRP + sales tax.

In terms of net pricing, there won't be any difference if you pay now or wait. In terms of availability, the BB58 will become increasingly available as time goes on but so will the chances of prices increases down the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strap code seems to be the popular choice for those not feeling the rivet bracelet. From what I’ve seen, looks like a good option. I’m not a fan of either bb58 leather strap option. I feel like there are a bunch of great leather strap makers out there. I’m considering a Hodinkee or a Molequin leather for my incoming blue dial. For that reason, I’d choose the bracelet or textile single pass. Good luck with your choice. The 58 seems like an epic one-Watch choice.

I just got off the phone with my closest AD, who said they have it on the strap. I wonder if I would regret not having the bracelet "just in case" (even with the mindset of going with strapcode)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I just got off the phone with my closest AD, who said they have it on the strap. I wonder if I would regret not having the bracelet "just in case" (even with the mindset of going with strapcode)
I think that bracelet always demands higher resell value over other strap options. But you can always buy one after the fact but will be paying slightly more than you would buying from the start with a bracelet. As far as your original question, I wouldn't expect the pricing to change that much on the OG 58. If you can pick it up now I say go for it, no better time then the present.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Get the bracelet. As much as I don't like the rivet bracelet (the reason I flipped mine) it looks much better than the strap code imho. Goodluck OP

·
Registered
13 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the rivets though, they give the watch so much character. How are the strrapcodes in terms of relative comfort? Also, I think bracelet is always the prudent choice for resale value if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the rivets though, they give the watch so much character. How are the strrapcodes in terms of relative comfort? Also, I think bracelet is always the prudent choice for resale value if nothing else.
Sorry, never owned one. But reviews seem positive. I doubt it’s as good as the Tudor bracelet. From experience, their bracelets are very sturdy. The clasps, while not expanding, are machined quite luxuriously. I went for it on the bracelet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't delay. I delayed a purchase on a JLC in the past and then by the time I decided to pull the trigger only 6 months later, they'd done an 8% (!) price increase on the model I wanted (MUT Moon), and wouldn't honor the previous price. It sucked. If you like it and can afford it, go for it now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the BB58 less than a year ago. The AD I bought it from still has a waiting list. I doubt you'll find it at a discount, but you're certainly able to try. If you can't find one you may want to consider the 2012 41mm Black Bay with the ETA movement instead of the Tudor movement. That watch is far thinner than the Tudor movement Black Bay 41, and it's just a small fraction deeper in height than the BB58. It also has a delightful dial - only three lines of text and they're printed in a "smiley face" - mimicking the curve of the case. They make it with several bezels. It will also likely be much less expensive than the BB58 models. I have the bracelet and the Tudor fabric strap - in summer the strap is a very light weight alternative to the bracelet. It also is a bit easier to get a comfortable fit with the combination of the lighter strap and few micro-adjustments on the bracelet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the BB58 less than a year ago. The AD I bought it from still has a waiting list. I doubt you'll find it at a discount, but you're certainly able to try. If you can't find one you may want to consider the 2012 41mm Black Bay with the ETA movement instead of the Tudor movement. That watch is far thinner than the Tudor movement Black Bay 41, and it's just a small fraction deeper in height than the BB58. It also has a delightful dial - only three lines of text and they're printed in a "smiley face" - mimicking the curve of the case. They make it with several bezels. It will also likely be much less expensive than the BB58 models. I have the bracelet and the Tudor fabric strap - in summer the strap is a very light weight alternative to the bracelet. It also is a bit easier to get a comfortable fit with the combination of the lighter strap and few micro-adjustments on the bracelet.
I would 100% consider the older BB or even the S&G (which I really like) but my wrist is 6.25, so too big.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't delay. I delayed a purchase on a JLC in the past and then by the time I decided to pull the trigger only 6 months later, they'd done an 8% (!) price increase on the model I wanted (MUT Moon), and wouldn't honor the previous price. It sucked. If you like it and can afford it, go for it now!
Hoping to buy this week!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm on a waiting list for this one too. I have no intent of asking for a discount. It's not going to happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts