WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get into vintage watch collecting and after some research I have decided that I’d like the Omega Seamaster 300m 2541.80 (41mm Quartz) to be my first purchase.

I’ve chosen Quartz due to the relatively low upkeep costs and lower risk of potential issues. Whilst I prefer automatic I assume quartz would be an Ideal first purchase for a novice like me.

Price seems to vary drastically between used stores like watchfinder.co.uk and est1887.co.uk versus eBay. Where would you recommend buying from and what is a fair price for a reasonable conditioned model?

Any other thoughts or advice you could impart would be greatly appreciated. From other watch suggestions that may be a better fit to watch pits

e.g would you recommend this -

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Just like buying a car from the guy off the street and buying a car at a dealership, there's a reason why the more professional the place, and the more services they offer, the more expensive the price. I would consider asking for more pictures and viewing it on a monitor so you can assess the condition better.

Reactions: nbardach

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMHO, I think you should try for an automatic, if at all possible. First, they will hold their value and appreciate better than a quartz and second, automatics are just better in general. I would recommend you set up strong alerts on eBay, WatchPatrol and Chrono24 to get the best lay of the land. Happy hunting!! Cheers, N

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
OP. 2541.80 is a beautiful watch. But prices are quite high for a quartz. And batteries can be a pain to replace. And quartz movement actually is not as durable as mechanical.
The price for mechanical 2531.80 is pretty close. And it's powered by very durable and reliable ETA 2892 movement which can be easily serviced by any competent watchmaker, and can run for decades. Indeed 2531.80 I got for my graduation in 2007 is still ticking away happily, keeping COSC time.

As far as pricing and where to buy... avoid eBay. Use watchrecon to find a private seller here on WUS or similar forums (Omega Forums, TZ, etc) with good references. Watchrecon is also great to give you pricing ranges and realistic range
omega_sunset.JPG

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I’ve bought from exelonman(sp?) here on the forum. As advertised, in my experience, and his offerings appear to be snapped up with regularity. This looks to be right up his alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Rolex Explorer 214270 mkII
651 Posts
Quartz is for children
Automatic is for everyone (including novices)

You're making a big mistake buying the quartz

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Ebay is a minefield when it comes to Omega ... especially some of the older models. Soooooo many non-genuine watches and parts.

I would highly recommend another resource for any purchase, quartz or auto.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
That's a ton of money for a quartz, btw.

·
Registered
Panerai PAM26K, Rolex OysterQuartz, Omega SpeedMaster, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin
1,175 Posts
I owned both. Bought a Quartz Seamaster (new) in 1995 the year my oldest daughter was born and wore it until I gave it to her as a graduation (from college) gift. If I recall I was replacing the battery every 3 or 4 years or so. Once I gave her my old watch I bought a pre-owned mechanical reference 2220.80 Seamaster. This model has the aluminum bezel insert, wave dial, applied dial markers, and 2500 co—axial caliber movement. These are selling second hand for not too much more than the quartz models. I don’t think you can go wrong with either selection, but for sure do your research and shop around.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lots of hate on here for quartz. There are positives and negatives to quartz and automatics. If you want the quartz get the quartz, but if you want an automatic, like you say you do, then get an automatic.

Where you buy from depends on what you’re looking for. If you want the best deal then go no box no papers from a fellow watch enthusiast on this forum/Reddit/chrono24 or a Japanese seller on eBay with tons of positive feedback. If you don’t mind paying more and want the box and papers then there are many reputable dealers you can look at (watchfinder, watchbox, swisswatchexpo, etc).

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP. 2541.80 is a beautiful watch. But prices are quite high for a quartz. And batteries can be a pain to replace. And quartz movement actually is not as durable as mechanical.
The price for mechanical 2531.80 is pretty close. And it's powered by very durable and reliable ETA 2892 movement which can be easily serviced by any competent watchmaker, and can run for decades. Indeed 2531.80 I got for my graduation in 2007 is still ticking away happily, keeping COSC time.

As far as pricing and where to buy... avoid eBay. Use watchrecon to find a private seller here on WUS or similar forums (Omega Forums, TZ, etc) with good references. Watchrecon is also great to give you pricing ranges and realistic range View attachment 15647122
Lovely watch and a very appreciated reply. Thank you. A lot of correct love for mechanical watch and I’ll change my search for a 2531.80

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ebay is a minefield when it comes to Omega ... especially some of the older models. Soooooo many non-genuine watches and parts.

I would highly recommend another resource for any purchase, quartz or auto.
Maybe it’s my naivety on the subject or laziness I’m not sure but a reputable dealer is sounding more and more attractive. A minefield indeed.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Lovely watch and a very appreciated reply. Thank you. A lot of correct love for mechanical watch and I’ll change my search for a 2531.80
Great choice. I'm sure you'll find an amazing piece.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I got my 2531.80 through eBay, and I wouldn’t agree about writing it off as a potential way to get a great watch. As with ANY of the other places you could buy from it‘s all down to being thorough, educating yourself as well as you can about what you want and what to look for, and leaving it if there are any alarm bells. I bought mine from the original buyer, knowing it was due for a service but in good original (unpolished) condition, with box and cards etc. The price I got it for allowed me to get the servicing done by Omega and to still be within the budget I had set for myself. All the best with your search.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Maybe it’s my naivety on the subject or laziness I’m not sure but a reputable dealer is sounding more and more attractive. A minefield indeed.
There are many for sale on here and Chrono24 from reputable sellers. Watchrecon is a great resource for your search too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts