WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a question for you guys. I'm buying a vintage omega 1000 series movement only (probably on eBay). My question is: just by looking at the pictures and description, how can you tell if the movement is in good condition? What if there is no more crown coming with it, is there some part that should come with it to secure the crown you will eventually use? Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is difficult to tell from photos, even for a watchmaker, but certainly a missing crown would be a concern as it may mean that water has ingressed into the movement. For a 1000 series movement I'd be looking for a 1011 or 1021 as those had important refinements and are the chronometer versions, so more collectible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply MH434 and KHaskus! I'm putting the caliber 1000 series into an Omega SHOM made out of NOS parts (probably watchco). The cal.1012 is the "correct" spec for this watch I think? however, do you recommend I use a cal.1011 instead?

It is difficult to tell from photos, even for a watchmaker, but certainly a missing crown would be a concern as it may mean that water has ingressed into the movement. For a 1000 series movement I'd be looking for a 1011 or 1021 as those had important refinements and are the chronometer versions, so more collectible.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 1012 and if it is the correct calibre for your watch then I think that is a strong argument to use the 1012.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MH434! The Omega SHOM I got actually came with a cal.1011, so I'm now looking for a cal.1012 to make it have the "correct" spec... I'm wondering what I should do with the cal.1011 after I remove it though... To make things complicated some say I should just stick with the cal.1011...

Nothing wrong with a 1012 and if it is the correct calibre for your watch then I think that is a strong argument to use the 1012.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes right , very hard to get excellent condition. I bought couple of movement from Ebay, and am lucky that have parts in stock to get those movement updated, almost spend the same amount on movement for updating.
Haseeb
(ebay id : rajapaki )

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Yes right , very hard to get excellent condition. I bought couple of movement from Ebay, and am lucky that have parts in stock to get those movement updated, almost spend the same amount on movement for updating.
Haseeb
(ebay id : rajapaki )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts