WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, has been a long time since I was here last time. Sorry :)
Need advice and there no better place than this forum full of watch enthusiast.
My rolex needs a polish after ownership of 3 years a every day wear.
I know I can take it to rolex and get it sent to switzerland but dont really have the budget now for £500+
Is there any other place I can fully trust. Preferably in London. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts

Why does it need a polish? Every scratch is a memory, a late night worked, one too many at the bar, a child caught and the watch was caught between the child and the ground. Not sure why you would polish it other than aesthetics - watches are to be worn and scratches show use. Don't get me wrong - scratched xtal or chipped xtal - different scenario as it interferes with watch utilisation. Worn crown different scenario but.. scratched watch. It's just showing its character - we age, so should your watch - just my thoughts, not saying they are right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a point in what you say but it probably doesnt apply to me. Im a bit perfectionist so things I own have to be perfect, clean etc. I clean my car as often as my house :)
And the one thing that plays with my mind is my watch when I look at it after I have cleaned it with a soft toothbrush :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news but if you strive for everything you own to be perfect, then you will end up in disappointment.

Does it really NEED a polish or do you simply just want one for the sake of it being "perfect?" Once you get it polished you will probably scratch it within a few hours of wearing it anyway. It's a beautiful watch, use it for what it's meant to be. My .02

As for advice, I have no idea where you can take it besides RSC. Goodluck.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm sure there's someone. Rolex finishing isn't very technical.

With that said as you like things clean... I prefer my Rolex in factory finish. Rolex will be the only one polishing my watch when it goes to get serviced.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I sympathise with the OP. Always wished I could be a scratch lover, but they drive me bananas. Working on it though... :)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
No need to send that in. Get yourself a Cape Cod cloth from Amazon and do it yourself. The marks on your watch are minor. A Cape Cod cloth with make short work of that in no time and cost you about $10.00us.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
No need to send that in. Get yourself a Cape Cod cloth from Amazon and do it yourself. The marks on your watch are minor. A Cape Cod cloth with make short work of that in no time and cost you about $10.00us.
I hate scratches and blemishes too. I've also had good results with Cape Cod Cloth for polished surfaces and a fiberglass brushing pen for brushed surfaces, but only for minor scratches.

·
Registered
711 Posts
No need to send a watch in for that simple work. There are a lot of different steel polishes around.
I tried a few of them with good results. For finishing I can also recommend the Cape Cod cloth mentioned above.
Be careful to use them only on plane surfaces and not on edges.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all guys for advice. I have never heard about that cloth, so I will have to google the know how about it.
Another question..do you guys send in your watches every 5 years for service? I remember I was told so by the gentlemen selling me the watch. He said the watch gets sent to Rolex in SUI where they open the watch, clean it , check seals, lubricate etc and finish it with a polish efore they back the watch. It takes appearantly 2-3weeks. Thanks

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Cape Cod cloth (for the polished surfaces) and 400 grit (30 micron) 3m green paper for the brushed surfaces with masking tape applied properly and a little practice. This ain't rocket science....trust me.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I would not recommend taking Cape cod cloth to it. I have done it on my sub and Explorer II. Tends to leave micro scratches on the polished surfaces that can be seen upon close inspection under bright light.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
if you like perfection then you will be disappointed with it even when polished as it wont be factory finish. As for cape cod bear in mind that you are effectively taking metal off with that stuff so say goodbye to your sharp edges etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Im leaning towards the wait for my first service. Now that I have seen some results on tube its not that convincing and it wont be factory finish, nowhere near

·
Registered
239 Posts
For a polish i wouldnt let anyone touch it except Rolex but thats just me. I would also not attempt to try to do any fixes yourself just leave it alone or send to Rolex.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I wouldn't send it in and pay for something you can do yourself. Its easy, just get a Cape Cod Polishing kit, read the instructions, and go for it. Also, a tube of Flitz polish works too. If it doesn't work out, which I doubt, you can always send it in for polishing or wait until servicing. I myself resist polishing my watches because scuffing and scratches are inevitable and it gives them unique character.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts