WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an alternative to G-Shocks, I'm thinking of buying a nice and huge automatic watch next week, but of course I'm on a tight budget. What do you guys think of high-grade replicas? Or should I just stick to Seiko like the SKX007? I don't really like the Black/Orange Monster as it's quite common on ppl's wrists. My options seem to be very limited:think:

·
Registered
166 Posts
As an alternative to G-Shocks, I'm thinking of buying a nice and huge automatic watch next week, but of course I'm on a tight budget. What do you guys think of high-grade replicas? Or should I just stick to Seiko like the SKX007? I don't really like the Black/Orange Monster as it's quite common on ppl's wrists. My options seem to be very limited:think:
I think I know a good watch for you depending on what you like. Hamilton automatics are awesome. They do cost a little but they have so many different sizes and styles you cant go wrong. Here check out there website.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/index_flash.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Seiko SKX007 is a tough, reliable watch. I have had mine for several years. The movement is bulletproof and the auto winding system is one of the most efficient out there.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 007. As far as mechanical watches go, it's the closest thng to a G. Unbeatable value for money, damn near indestructible and with a heritage that goes back thirty years. A classic, and if you're new to autos, a great place to start.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 007. As far as mechanical watches go, it's the closest thng to a G. Unbeatable value for money, damn near indestructible and with a heritage that goes back thirty years. A classic, and if you're new to autos, a great place to start.
Perfectly said...
Realistically, any of the 7S26 0r 36 Movement divers are an EXCELLENT purchase. The SKX 173 was the first nice watch I bought! There are many stories of these watches running perfectly for YEARS and years. I wouldnt hesitate to reccommend a Seiko auto to any collector. You may also want to chek the Seiko 5 line. They have some autos, They are typically a little cheaper and smaller, the quality is not as high IMHO, but they are solid autos as well...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
based on your situation, I think you're leaning in the right direction. go to the Seiko Citizen Watch forum and knock around there for a bit. lots of info and lots of ideas: link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/

my personal impressions after years of owning and handling automatic diver-type watches: Tag-Heuer is not worth the price, Seiko is best value for money, Citizen right up there, Rolex may not keep time much better than Seiko, but they are beautiful watches (I owned a GMT master throughout the 80s so that's my point of reference).

and...skip the replicas, go with Seiko/citizen.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
If the budget it tight you could also try one of the Seiko 5 models. Very nice watches and also reasonably priced as well. Here is a pic of my new one that I picked up for $50 USD.

Also Citizen Eco Drive are great watches as well. I have 5 of them and I like them very much .

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Another vote here for the SKX007. I own both the SKX007 and the Black Monster and both are excellent watches. I prefer the Monster though, it looks great on the bracelet it comes with and you can always switch to a different strap if you want a more casual look. You'd have to spend extra to buy a similar quality bracelet for the SKX007...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go with a Seiko diver. I'm not surprised that people who favor the toughness of the Casio G shock are also impressed with a Seiko diver's indestructibility. One friend of mine at the Citadel has his father's SK? (precursor to the current SKX007) from Desert Storm. If you compare the structure of the case the strength is obvious, I suggest looking at the size of the crown and the case surronding it, and also the cushioned bezel.
I wear the SKZ211. It's a 5 sport model with the 7S36 movement (23 jewels). Mainly I was impressed by having some Arabic numbers on the dial, otherwise I have some trouble telling the hour hand quickly, but the compass ring is superfluous.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Another vote here for the SKX007. I own both the SKX007 and the Black Monster and both are excellent watches. I prefer the Monster though, it looks great on the bracelet it comes with and you can always switch to a different strap if you want a more casual look. You'd have to spend extra to buy a similar quality bracelet for the SKX007.
The SKX007K4 and SKX007J4 versions both come with a solid oyster bracelet, you're right though, you do pay extra. Of course, purists will go for the Z22 rubber strap. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with wearing high-grade replica watches? I visited a watch store just now and saw the SKX007 model, it looks practical and tough, which I like, but are there other models that could be more chunky and heavy-duty than this? sth like the Oris Carlos Coste watch

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Anyone have any experience with wearing high-grade replica watches? I visited a watch store just now and saw the SKX007 model, it looks practical and tough, which I like, but are there other models that could be more chunky and heavy-duty than this? sth like the Oris Carlos Coste watch
Personally for me, I would never wear a replica. In my opinion its a big NO NO. Every time I looked at it I would think to myself... "POSER". I think replicas are kind of sleazy. Again, thats just MY opinion.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have an SKX-173 and SKX-175 and love them both. They are big, tough and absolutely bulletproof. You can't go wrong with a Seiko diver.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Please define what you mean by "High grade replica." I have two MkII Blackwater MMTs and one MkII Quad 10. Both are military hommage watches and I defy anyone to describe either as less than excellent timepieces.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice on replicas guys, I would love to own a refined watch like the Seiko Marinemaster or the Oris Carlos Coste but I guess I will terminate my intention to purchase an automatic watch as I find that my vintage Seiko diver keeps losing several seconds every 5 minutes<|

1 - 20 of 37 Posts