WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. I am not a collector, but am looking for a good quality watch that will show two time zones (I travel frequently). I've narrowed it down to two choices--the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Tradition Grande Date GMT, MP6707-SS001-110, and the Oris Artelier World Timer, 69075814051LS. I think the ML will be quite a bit more expensive (although neither are super expensive like Rolex, etc.), and therefore might consider a well-respected grey market dealer. I like the style of the ML a bit better, but the Oris is nice, too, and I like the push button feature to change the time. I would welcome advice regarding quality, etc. I have no intentions of buying a bunch of watches, just looking for a nice, classy every day watch with the dual time function.

Advice and comments welcome! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
429 Posts
If it were me, I'd go ML. Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,625 Posts
Do you want to track time using 24 hours for one time zone and 12 for the other? It can get a bit clumsy switching between the two. Also consider that most GMT watches use a 2892 derived movement. That design only allows the 24 hour hand to be adjusted independently. When travelling it is easier to change local time with an adjustable 12 hour hand as found on Rolex, Omega and Seiko GMT watches.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you want to track time using 24 hours for one time zone and 12 for the other? It can get a bit clumsy switching between the two. Also consider that most GMT watches use a 2892 derived movement. That design only allows the 24 hour hand to be adjusted independently. When travelling it is easier to change local time with an adjustable 12 hour hand as found on Rolex, Omega and Seiko GMT watches.
No, I would just like to have both times (local and home) displayed on separate faces in 12 hour format. Hopefully I won't get so jet lagged that I can't remember whether it's currently am or pm. ;-)

I like the simplicity of both of these watches--I don't need three alarms, a depth gauge or built-in sonar.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it were me, I'd go ML. Good luck and happy hunting!
Could you tell me why? I am a novice, and other than what I've learned through research, I know little about watches. I think the ML would have an in house movement (because it's the Masterpiece series), and I know all the Oris watches use ETA movements. However, my research has led me to believe there's nothing wrong with the ETA's, and they can in fact be easier to repair. I'm buying for my own pleasure, I don't care if other people recognize what I'm wearing or not. But I do like the looks of the ML.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My 2 cents would be none of the above - I would recommend the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time, or a Tissot Heritage Navigator (this one comes out this year, is a remake of a watch from the 50's, and will be truly exclusive - and cheaper than the Tag - maybe than the ML too).

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2 cents would be none of the above - I would recommend the Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time, or a Tissot Heritage Navigator (this one comes out this year, is a remake of a watch from the 50's, and will be truly exclusive - and cheaper than the Tag - maybe than the ML too).
Actually the ML is the most expensive of any of these...thanks for the suggestions. The Tag is a possibility, but aesthetically, it doesn't do much for me. I don't think my aging eyes would have fun with the tiny print on the Tissot, and it strikes me as too fiddly for someone moving from time zone to time zone as I often do. That's why I like the idea of twin faces--nothing to interpret.

·
Premium Member
65,019 Posts
Welcome to the forum Micor. As an Oris fan who wants a world timer you've got no chance of getting an unbiased opinion from me. I know next to nothing about the ML but believe that the Oris still uses an ETA movement rather than a Sellita one though Oris as a brand are making the change to Sellita movements. No prizes for guessing which one I'd get.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
I own an Ebel Classic Hexagon Dual Time, which is often available at greatly reduced prices at Movado Company Stores. They are old stock from 2010 and 2011, but are offered there with full factory warranty.

They use a "Top"-grade ETA 2892-A2 with a TechnoTime tt651 dual-time module. Both dials set from the stem--both move forward together, but only the main hands move backwards during setting. It also has the big-date complication that quick-sets using the center stem position. These are large watches, but their shape makes them very comfortable.

The Maurice Lacroix uses the same movement. Their ML129-equipped Masterpiece and Les Classiques models were introduced before they started making movements in their own shops, though these ETA movements are decorated at the highest level. ML's dials and cases in these watches are made by them, and they are exceptionally nice. I own a ML Masterpiece Phase de Lune Tonneau, and can attest to the finish quality of this line.

These 2892/tt651 models are pretty nice dual-time watches at this price point. I would prefer something with the subdial hour hand operated by a pusher--it's easier to set if you change time zones a lot. But that type of operation isn't common at this price point if you don't want a 24-hour GMT hand (as I didn't). The slickest dual time watch for routine travelers is a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duo, but bring your checkbook.

Rick "who has a true GMT watch and uses it for activities that require knowing GMT" Denney

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Did you look at the Longines Retro Hand ? It too has a 12 hour GMT function.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, can't find the Longines on line--I see their Admiral series, which has some with the extra hour hand like the Tag. Don't like that style as much as the ML or Oris, I don't think...

·
Registered
429 Posts
They use a "Top"-grade ETA 2892-A2 with a TechnoTime tt651 dual-time module.

The Maurice Lacroix uses the same movement. Their ML129-equipped Masterpiece and Les Classiques models were introduced before they started making movements in their own shops, though these ETA movements are decorated at the highest level. ML's dials and cases in these watches are made by them, and they are exceptionally nice. I own a ML Masterpiece Phase de Lune Tonneau, and can attest to the finish quality of this line.
This.

Sorry for my non-informative answer from earlier. I would chose the ML because I like the design better and Oris has always been one of those brands that, save for a few exceptions (their moonphase is gorgeous), has always underwhelmed me. I would imagine you'll be set to spend ~3500 USD for that ML, in which case I concur with the 'look elsewhere' sentiment.

For my quid, I'd go with a Frederique Constant World Timer in Stainless. It is a sharp looking watch, that has a unique feel, while still looking classy. Best of all? The FC-718 movement is a true manufacture. (I love me some in house!) You can probably find it Grey market for under ~2500 USD.

jomashop_2272_166685168.jpg

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, movet22. I still think I'd prefer a two-faced design. Neither jomashop.com nor authenticwatches.com have the ML; dexclusive has it listed at $3099, but they've gotten decidedly mixed reviews on this forum. I assume the AD's will be far more than that. I'd be willing to pay a few hundred more for an AD, but not a thousand...

I appreciate everyone's comments so far!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Hmm, can't find the Longines on line--I see their Admiral series, which has some with the extra hour hand like the Tag. Don't like that style as much as the ML or Oris, I don't think...

001.JPG
GMT is on Left....Date on Right.,Day on Top...Seconds on Bottom.
It's a 24 hr. GMT.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty, but kind of big for me at 44mm. My current is a 40, and I think 42 is as large as I'd want to go.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Pretty, but kind of big for me at 44mm. My current is a 40, and I think 42 is as large as I'd want to go.
The Ebel would exceed that specification at 45mm.

I've seen the ML at prices around $3000. But the Ebel is frequently priced (when the sales are favorable) at those Movado Company Stores for under $2K, and you get full AD benefits. Maybe you could learn to love big watches, heh.

There were several brands that made watches using that same movement, including Louis Erard and several others that require less fuzz in my memory. All good, solid brands and priced in the same range as these (the retail on the Ebel is about $4K as I recall--I paid a bit over a third of that). For your purpose, a modular ETA movement earns no demerits--it will be easier to get serviced than many in-house movements and it will run very well indeed.

(Ebel had a smaller version of the Classic Hexagon with similar styling, but only with a retrograde date display or in a reserve-de-marche complication. The dual-time version only came in the larger size.)

Rick "who thinks the ML dial is better done than the Ebel, and that's saying something" Denney

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Do you ever travel to Newfoundland, India, Iran, or anywhere else with 1/2 or 1/4 hour time zones?

If so, then your options shrink DRAMATICALLY.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Had an ML before - designs are fantastic, and quite unusual, but IMO the quality just isn't there. Maybe I had a lemon, but I'd suggest a different brand. (Previously owned a Masterpiece Jour et Nuit).

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you ever travel to Newfoundland, India, Iran, or anywhere else with 1/2 or 1/4 hour time zones?

If so, then your options shrink DRAMATICALLY.
Yes, I do go to India at least once a year. However, I plan to do with my watch what I do generally in India--ignore all the problems and get back to a normal place as soon as I can. :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts