WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

If this question is in the wrong place or been asked before, I apologise. Admins, feel free to move/delete/do whatever if it's appropriate.

I've been reading these forums a fair bit this week, as I am planning to buy my first "decent" timepiece soon. The advice and pictures on these boards have been an excellent help. My tax return is due soon and I'm planning to use some of that cash to buy a nice watch. After a heap of searching and a fair bit of research, I'm looking at getting a Tissot Le Locle (this one). I figure it's a nice, understated piece, Swiss made, automatic movement, leather band should fit with smart casual or a suit etc.

Firstly, does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about me getting the Le Locle? Any better choices for that price? I gotta admit though, I am kinda set on the Le Locle (a bit of love at first sight :) ), so unless someone says something like "it will make your arm fall off and your hairstyle look funny forever", I can't really see me changing my mind.

Secondly, where should I buy it? I can get it here in Australia from a Tissot AD for $700 AUS (about $640 US) which is RRP. I did say to the guy that only suckers pay RRP, and he said he'd reduce the price a little for me, but I can't see it going down too much.

Or I could get it off Amazon for about $400 AUS (or $349 US) plus about $60 US for postage. Quite a saving.

But is it safe to buy a good watch off Amazon? There are two retailers, Watch Grabber (fulfilled by Amazon) and Luxurywatchstore.com (who also have a stand-alone site, no prizes for guessing what it is). I can't really find any info on either of them other than the feedback on Amazon (which is mostly good).

If I buy from Amazon, do I run much of a risk of finding myself with a fake?

Thanks for any advice you guys and gals can offer. Again, apologies if this is a dud question or in the wrong place.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,339 Posts
Greetings all.

If this question is in the wrong place or been asked before, I apologise. Admins, feel free to move/delete/do whatever if it's appropriate.

I've been reading these forums a fair bit this week, as I am planning to buy my first "decent" timepiece soon. The advice and pictures on these boards have been an excellent help. My tax return is due soon and I'm planning to use some of that cash to buy a nice watch. After a heap of searching and a fair bit of research, I'm looking at getting a Tissot Le Locle (this one). I figure it's a nice, understated piece, Swiss made, automatic movement, leather band should fit with smart casual or a suit etc.

Firstly, does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about me getting the Le Locle? Any better choices for that price? I gotta admit though, I am kinda set on the Le Locle (a bit of love at first sight :) ), so unless someone says something like "it will make your arm fall off and your hairstyle look funny forever", I can't really see me changing my mind.

Secondly, where should I buy it? I can get it here in Australia from a Tissot AD for $700 AUS (about $640 US) which is RRP. I did say to the guy that only suckers pay RRP, and he said he'd reduce the price a little for me, but I can't see it going down too much.

Or I could get it off Amazon for about $400 AUS (or $349 US) plus about $60 US for postage. Quite a saving.

But is it safe to buy a good watch off Amazon? There are two retailers, Watch Grabber (fulfilled by Amazon) and Luxurywatchstore.com (who also have a stand-alone site, no prizes for guessing what it is). I can't really find any info on either of them other than the feedback on Amazon (which is mostly good).

If I buy from Amazon, do I run much of a risk of finding myself with a fake?

Thanks for any advice you guys and gals can offer. Again, apologies if this is a dud question or in the wrong place.
I've not heard of a problem with fakes coming through Amazon dealers. If the dealers have a reasonable amount of good feedback then go with Amazon. Realize that those are likely grey market watches and the warranty may not be valid. I'm not familiar with duties imposed on imports into Australia, but you should determine if that is a significant issue. If you buy locally at an authorized dealer that gives you the luxury of having the watch fitted and if there are any problems during the warranty period then the dealer takes care of it. I would not expect any problems with a nice watch like the Le Locle.

Welcome to Watchuseek and please post a review of your Tissot once it arrives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate.

Customs aren't an issue, no taxes or duties on goods worth under $1000 AUS.

Luxurywatchstore.com list the watch as having a 3 year warranty. Would that be a warranty with Tissot, or with the retailer, or is there no way to tell?

I'd love to buy at a local AD (even if it was only to support Aussie business), but at the end of the day, I can't justify not taking the 35% discount.

I'm thinking of walking into the AD and telling them flatly that I can get it for about $450 elsewhere, and if they'll do it for me for $500, I'll take it. I wonder how I'll go with that. Anyone every haggle a price down that far (~30%) on a new watch at a dealer?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,339 Posts
Ask Amazon or the sellers about the warranty. To be honest, if you can get the dealer to a price anywhere between US$500 and US$600 you should buy locally.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Welcome! I just aquired that exact same watch gently used. Thats the best dicount : P

The watch is beautiful and elegant with fine attention to detail. I especially enjoy the guilloche dial! I put mine on a black croc grain, and its perfect for office wear. In terms of value for a swiss brand with a great name, this is as good as it gets.

When your at the AD, just show him the print-out of the online retailers price, warranty and return policy. You should be able to negotiate a lower price. Best!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Buy it from an Authorized Dealer after you've negotiated your best price.

Buying from a non-AD just isn't worth it. Even if the non-AD offers a warranty, be aware that warranty work will be subcontracted to a repair company that may or may not repair the watch to Tissot standards. Or with genuine Tissot parts, for that matter.

As lots of people around here say: Buy the seller, not the watch. There are way too many cowboys out there.

G

·
I got the same watch you're looking at except with the metal bracelet for 375 euros which is 538 Australian dollars. I just asked the salesman if I could get a cash discount and got 55 off it. I think I could have got more off if I pushed it, but I didn't. Wish I had now.o|

·
Registered
454 Posts
Negotiate with the AD and don't be afraid to walk away. If it is your first nice watch the AD experience does make it feel a little more special though. Tissot I believe is not like some manufacturers that have their ADs on a very short leash regarding discounts, distribution etc.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing pictures of your new watch :-!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts