WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking on ebay and reading this forum, looking for a pre owned Swiss automatic that would fit my low price range (less than $150). So far I have come across 2 watches on eBay, both with an ETA 2836.

1) Titoni Airmaster
2) Sandoz

My fist question is, which of these two watches is higher quality? Also, there are pictures of the actual movement in the listing, which of these two movements is in better shape? And finally, is the ETA 2836 a decent movement (accuracy)? By the way, I won't be able to spend the money required to get them serviced (at least not for a while).

I also looked at the Orient Mako, but decided to spend a few more dollars and get something Swiss made.

Edit: I thought I'd include that this is my first real watch and that I will be wearing it every day. Do I have to worry about water getting on it?

·
11,745 Posts
Since these are vintage watches, I would not take them anywhere near water. Unless a qualified watchmaker says they are waterproof.....

Next these are 35mm and 34.5mm, OK in the 60's and 70's but very small by today's standards. Usually the guilt (gold) colored movements were in the better watches......so if I had to pick one it would be that one. I would add the price of a service to these, $100 min or so, since there is no telling how long since they were last serviced, especially if you want to wear it every day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I think I would prefer a smaller watch actually, considering I am a teenager. What did you mean when you said "guilt colored movement"? Also, do you have any reccomendations for Swiss autos that could be bought without needing a service or that could be bought and serviced for $150 or less?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I think I would prefer a smaller watch actually, considering I am a teenager. What did you mean when you said "guilt colored movement"? Also, do you have any reccomendations for Swiss autos that could be bought without needing a service or that could be bought and serviced for $150 or less?
Guilt color means "gold plated", the Sandoz watch to be specific.

For $150 you may find a used Tissot PR50 automatic, iirc those come with an eta 2824-2 and are swiss made.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
I'm trying not to be the spelling police Kos we all make misthakes but it's Gilt not guilt lol ;-)

coming from Gilding - ie applying a gold layer to a material

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Both of them look to be in really good shape, but I would be a little wary of wearing a 30+ year old watch with an unknown service history and relying upon it to tell time. I personally think that you are overrating the whole "Swiss" thing. I would much rather have the Mako than either of your other options, but that is just me. And I am not too much older than you are ;-).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Both of them look to be in really good shape, but I would be a little wary of wearing a 30+ year old watch with an unknown service history and relying upon it to tell time. I personally think that you are overrating the whole "Swiss" thing. I would much rather have the Mako than either of your other options, but that is just me. And I am not too much older than you are ;-).
Agreed.
Instead of a Mako however I'd go for a used Tissot PR50.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! @AsAnAtheist @mike120I looked on eBay for a Tissot PR50, but couldn't find any autos in my price range (there weren't many at all). Anywhere else to check? Or, anyone on this forum looking to sell one?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Both of them look to be in really good shape, but I would be a little wary of wearing a 30+ year old watch with an unknown service history and relying upon it to tell time. ....
Every New Old Stock (NOS) watch I've bought has either stopped at least once or loses minutes a day. (OK, I have one that hasn't but I've only worn it twice.) I think the gentle suggestions to have old/used watches serviced (I've seen this in multiple threads now) should really be orders screamed in both ears. Being deaf to the advice and wishing it wasn't true hasn't really worked for me. :-(

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I agree that you may be overrating the whole "Swiss" thing. However, my extensive collection has a few Swiss watches that I love. For you, you may want to check for a cushion case design of the octo brand. Swiss made, panerai looks, around 36 mm, and solid end links. Got mine used for $55 used on the bay shipped, and NOS runs around $175 on poor mans watch corner. Good hunting...be patient and keep checking. You'll be rewarded.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you have an specific design you are trying to go for? These two vintage watches have nothing in common with the Mako, that's why Im asking.

If I was in your shoes I would probably go with the Mako. That's a great piece for the price.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! @AsAnAtheist @mike120I looked on eBay for a Tissot PR50, but couldn't find any autos in my price range (there weren't many at all). Anywhere else to check? Or, anyone on this forum looking to sell one?
Keep your eyes out for it here on the forum or on ebay, I tend to see one every few months.
Last time I caught one it was selling for $120 on ebay.

I don't really find the whole swiss made to be a hype, or at least with Tissot, Hamilton, Omega, Tag Heuer (In-house movements are excquisite) it doesn't seem to be hype.
I started with affordable watches but quickly turned to slightly more expensive but still low end pieces (tissot for example).

I've bought then returned 2x $200 seikos (Seiko SKX007/Orange monster) also bought: an Orient Ray, Orient Chicane (sister's husband, turned out to be utter crap), King Seiko 36000 bph (didn't do the deal, store was likely selling a franken seiko), Beijing Zungu, Several Parnis Portuguese (5?),sterile submariner (2x), alphas submariner, Invicta 8926C (NH35A), a couple citizens, Kenneth cole/fossil (automatics). I am sure I am missing some...

All my watches are taken under a loupe, then microscope (up to 100x, anything higher is not doable with the crystals, and case backs). What I find is rather puzzling to be perfectly honest. This will be a bit of a long post.
All of them, without exception have or had QC issues, and the "Swiss made" Tissots however have been the best, by far:
Orient Ray: Lume uneven and bulged out on one of the hands visible with the naked eye, specks of dirt on hands/indices. Other than that, good stuff. Very nice watch tbh, some things bugged me about it thus it got flipped.
Orient Chicane: Crooked hour markers, specks of dirt on some hands, possible scratch marks or maybe finger oils on indices.
Beijing Zungu: Dirt in dial (thought it was a scratch on logo, turned out to be a flake of something), scratch makes on hands, and indices, movement has burr left and a little dirt left, wasn't much dirt at all. Indices are left very rough on the sides, almost as if someone took a file to it.
Alpha Submariner: Probably one of the worst ones. Dirt/lume in dial. Some scratches on indices. Movement was dirty, and mechanically challenged. Minutes and hour hands would get stuck, or jump. (1-2 hours off, or 20-40 minutes off). Very poor assembly.
Parnis ranged: 2 were flawless on the dials. Others had dirt, one had excess glue (noticeable by loupe only). All movements had dirt in them, 2 were oiled, 2 were not. One was trashed. Great little movements though, incredibly accurate. All of them except the trashed one ended around 5 s/ day.

Out of all them: The Tissot Le Locle, and Tissot Visodate had the least flaws... by far.
Tissot Le Locle: Face is flawless. The date wheel had about maybe .0001mm paint chip on the number 19 or 29 iirc. Barely visible with the loupe impossible to see with the eye. Caseback, flawless, movement looked clean/oiled/well finished.
Tissot Visodate: 2 specks of dirt in the dial after checking every mm of the dial with a microscope, the fine line in the middle of the minute hand is crooked, hardly noticeable. Movement is fairly clean, microscopic specks here and there. Many times better than any other non tissot watch I've seen.

Anyways that's my short experience in watches.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
@AsAnAtheist: How much are those 2 Tissots, pre owned?
A used Tissot Le Locle goes as low as $300, depending if it's leather or bracelet.
The Visodate goes as low as $330 for black, silver seems to be a bit more expensive. Maybe $350-$380 for the silver? Depending on condition and age, probably more than that.

I paid $380 from my AD for my Le Locle on Bracelet, and $460 for my Visodate silver from the same AD. In fact I amm in for my 2nd Le Locle from them for $400.
I've been to about 5 other AD's, none have come close. Closest was $489 for the Le Locle the rest remained well above $550.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
400 Posts
$150 does not give you much to play with if you are looking for a swiss auto. I cannot say enough good things about Orient watches and their in-house movements. There are many models to chose from that have automatic movements and are *brand new* (these being the operative words). Also, Orient always has active coupon codes to apply to a purchase, which will most likely put you under-budget. Seiko and Citizen are also great brands to consider.

I just finished graduate school and am now saving up for a nice swiss auto. Maybe you (as a teenager) could buy something good and save up for something great...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Those are vintage and pose the same problems as the other two you listed.

I recommend going for something new, or no more than 3-4 years old.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Ebay and vintage mechanical usually means 'service ASAP'. So take it into consideration when hunting for older watches.
If you are so keen on swiss I would go for quartz. I got my Tissot PRC200 (non chrono) used for 80$ on auction. It was dirty as hell + scratched all over but a little clean and polish took care of that (still too lazy to take care of deeper scratches ;-)). For the rest you can go for some nice older Seiko auto depending on your taste.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How much would I need for a decent Swiss auto? I am currently doing some work and making some money... If I wait a little bit I might be able to get $200... possibly $250...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts