WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking for advice on my first Speedmaster. I have always wanted one of these as a classic piece in my collection. I'm leaning towards the 311.30.42.30.01.005 which is the manual winding piece with a 48 hour power reserve.

Is this the correct watch and the classic moon watch? Should I be concerned that the hesalite crystal will scratch? Or should I be looking at a different model altogether? Whilst not the objective will this model hold its value?

Your help and thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I don't think any watch really holds value well. And this is one of the more popular models. That means lots and lots of them in the wild. Also could translate into a good negotiating position for you. With that said, if it appeals to you go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If holding the value is important, you might also want to look for a vintage Speedmaster with an 861 movement and tritium dial/hands. They can be found in good condition for about the same price of a new one, and will probably hold value better. I personally like the patina of tritium dials better than SL dials. There is a good Speedmaster buying guide to be found at Fratellowatches.

·
Premium Member
14,567 Posts
Dont be too worried about the hesalite that can easily be fixed with some polywatch, as for value i bought Speedy Auto (Reduced) for 600 Quid now i know they go for more than that now, so that has done me a great favour if i was to ever sell it on which i wont be, as for my Moonwatch i Paid 2 Grand for a Moon to Mars watch and i also know that they go for more than that now (Last time i checked),

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The one you are looking at is the correct one if you want a correct flight qualified by NASA one. The plastic crystal may scratch but it is way better looking than the sapphire crystal due to the milk ring IMO. As others said its easy to polish out little scratches and worst case they are cheap to replace. The Speedy Pro holds its value better than most new Omega's but it will still lose value over time. Don't buy one new from an Omega Boutique is my suggestion...you will lose way to much if you get rid of it compared to MSRP.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Don't forget to consider the cost of a service on older Omegas. Figure $600 for any Omega over 10 years old without a recent service. I found that buying recent, slightly used or LNIB with warranty from the folks on the for sale forum was not much more than the cost of a very nice used moonwatch plus service.

Now, if you shop carefully and are quick to pull the trigger when the right deal surfaces, you can knock enough off the price that the watch will only appreciate going forward, but you need to be aware of things like if the watch is on a strap instead of a bracelet.

If you want the authentic Moonwatch, you need the hesalite crystal and a tube of Polywatch.

I went for a new sapphire sandwich for a variety of reasons that were more important to me than authenticity. YMMV, as always!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep, that is definitely the most "authentic" one, short of getting a vintage from the 70s. The steel caseback with the NASA inscription is a nice touch also. If considering how it'll hold value, perhaps consider a nice pre-owned piece.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If holding the value is important, you might also want to look for a vintage Speedmaster with an 861 movement and tritium dial/hands. They can be found in good condition for about the same price of a new one, and will probably hold value better. I personally like the patina of tritium dials better than SL dials. There is a good Speedmaster buying guide to be found at Fratellowatches.
I agree. The fact that this watch has largely remained unchanged throughout its lifetime means that's it's the perfect watch to pickup as a "birth year" watch. I was able to find a mint condition 145.022-76ST with original crystal (with logo), dial, hands and intact lume for less than a new one, with box papers and manual. Can't get better than that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts