WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to the site and the forum. top notch so far.
i'm "browsing" for a military style watch. here's what i'm after

steel bracelet.
black or white dial.
not too fussy a design (not going for a breitling look).
night visiblity
non chronograph
quartz or automatic (never had an automatic and leery of making a mistake)
$750 budget

i appreciate any help/input

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
How about a TSAR or a GSAR. Seems to fit in all your categories quite nicely. Is case you are not familiar, they are made by Marathon, great watches and amazing nighttime visibility. TSAR is a quartz and the GSAR is a auto...... good luck....:-!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I also recommend a TSAR if you want to stay quartz. Some say it's a little small but YMMV.

If you are after a more traditional look and are willing to go automatic you might want to try an Archimede or Stowa. The Archimede comes with two different crowns if the onion is not your taste.

I think TSAR sounds like it's more up your ally though. Best of luck. :-!

V

·
0 Posts
If you want something unique, head down to RLT or timefactors for some very unique and quality pieces from these 2 British firms.

Many people will recommend a Marathon. Good, solid watch that's actual military/uniformed service issued. They're too similar in design though.

CWC makes/made watches for the British forces too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
delayed thanks. i'm a minister and xmas is ahhhhhh busy for me. what of the debraufe nav-b? i'm a little hesitant because i've never had an auto and it seems i need to send it overseas to have it serviced while its under warranty.
thanks again. no disrespect in the late reply.

revkb

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love my Nav-B, I have a Steinhart but they just changed their name to Debraufe so it's the same watch. I warn you that it is a BIG watch. Much larger than most other watches out there. If you want that style but less size, the Archimedes is awsome. If you want to spend more go Stowa.

I don't want it to sound like I'm not recommending the Nav-B, I LOVE mine. It's just that it is a very large watch and not for everyone. I would hate to have you order one and then not be pleased due to the size.

Best of luck with what you choose. Ohh, one more thing. I had some of the same concerns as you about ordering overseas and what not. I finally just said to myself "well, if that's where they are made, I guess I either have to go there or order from there to get them" and so far I've had great experiences. My dealings with both Steinhart and Archimedes went very smoothly with no fuss. I did have to pay a $14 import fee to FedEx on my Steinhart but that's not really anything to moan about. ;-)

V

·
0 Posts
delayed thanks. i'm a minister and xmas is ahhhhhh busy for me. what of the debraufe nav-b? i'm a little hesitant because i've never had an auto and it seems i need to send it overseas to have it serviced while its under warranty.
thanks again. no disrespect in the late reply.

revkb
Well it won't be as accurate as a quartz, but the Debaufre uses stock ETA movements which can be serviced by any competent watchmaker. Parts are widely available. Unless you're talking about the hands, bezel or bracelet but these can be ordered from the manufacturer and installed locally.

As to warranty, I agree its inconvenient but it's rare to get a dud (or lemon) from a reputable brand nowadays. Minor repairs (e.g. resetting the hands, regulation) can be done locally.

However, if you're leery of purchasing overseas, I'm sure there're many options available right where you live.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Since you mention 'night' visibility, I'd like to know what you expect exactly.
If you need to be able to read the watch after many hours in the dark, and without too much light exposure to the watch the day before and/or your eyes don't have great night vision, I'd certainly go with a tritium vial watch. Within your budget the Marathons will be perfect IMHO. If you only require it to be readable for a few hours, and you expose it to sufficient light each day, a watch with Luminova (most others) will do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input. i know the debaufre is an automatic and to be honest i'm not certain/sold yet on the advantage of the movement. as for night visibility i just want the convenience if my children call out DADDDDDYY at some forsaken hour. thanks again.

revkb

·
Registered
24 Posts
One more to look at...

http://www.westcoastime.com/e2fielmecwat.html

Has the tritium vial and 24 hour markings. It is a lower priced watch, so not sure of the movement - others with experience will have to chime in on that. Could be a nice daily wearer with little worry about the wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Been said, but I'll throw whatever weight I have in with them...

Marathon
I have the GSAR. Great watch.
CWC
I am looking at their Royal Navy Automatic Diver. I hear good things about it.
Sinn
Love them. Real tool watches!
Mk II Watches
Don't know much about them, but they look like they'd meet your needs. Neat thing is they are customizable (see example photo below).
WestCoastime & Gnomon
They sell watches that might also meet your needs such as Ollech & Wajs.

DJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts