WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my new vintage Dirskie for several days now wearing and initially when getting it face up it gained approx 40-45 SPD so after searching here and looking at some vids on YouTube I took to doing a poor mans regulation and now it seems crown up it gains maybe 1-2 SPD and crown down it loses 2-3 SPD but wearing it loses about 8 SPD so over a weeks time it may be off by a minute or so.

I don’t have a Timegrapher so it would be back to giving the regulation arm a tiny nudge and then wait and see and then do over and over but not sure it’s worth messing with so what say you seasoned guys out there, is it worth it or should I just leave and enjoy until it gets worst.

F1DAEB3B-5DB3-4F02-B732-BFB382AB5AE6.jpeg

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
For sure leave it as is for now. If I am not mistaken, Vostoks speed up a few secs after a few months of use. Wait for a month and see if you are closer to 0.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure leave it as is for now. If I am not mistaken, Vostoks speed up a few secs after a few months of use. Wait for a month and see if you are closer to 0.
It’s not a new piece so hoping the same applies to vintage and if it does speed up 2-3 secs that would be outstanding.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If the watch was not running for a while, new or not, it will go via a break in period. The remaining of the oil will redistribute. Whatever dried up will crumble and shift till it funds its new place in the movement. The dust that got inside from your opening of the watch will be grind. etc. Who knows what happens inside that small box? Lol.

Personally I think catching 8 secs/day w/o a timegrapher is super hard. If you can do that, go a get a bunch of lottery tickets cause it is your lucky day!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Personally I think catching 8 secs/day w/o a timegrapher is super hard. If you can do that, go a get a bunch of lottery tickets cause it is your lucky day!
Also, surely it can't be the same accuracy in all positions. At least in my limited experience vintage watches are all over the place depending on position.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That's about as good as it gets for a Vostok. I'm not sure you could do better even if you had a timegrapher.
Hehe.....I know, not a fair comparison... I had recently acquired this Dirskie. Serviced it. As you can see it tracks 0.3 secs a day on average. And I am not done. I will attempt to get it to 0.1 ! Just waiting a bit for the oil change o spread. I agree that the movement is steady in 1 position on the wall and is hermetically sealed.... but still I am quite happy with my job given the fact that when I got it the movement was rattling loose and was banging against the walls inside the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, surely it can't be the same accuracy in all positions. At least in my limited experience vintage watches are all over the place depending on position.
I have tried it in several resting positions and it does not vary much, I’m sure if I had a Timegrapher I could get a much better idea on the resting variance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As good as it gets.
Just wear it and enjoy it. Life is short!
I’m thinking so, I’m sure if i had the tools I could possibly tweak it a tad more but without a timegrapher as Odesa200 commented it will be tough chasing that 8-10 sec loss per day

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You can get it there "homebrew", all three of my Amphibias are fairly nailed up to a mere couple seconds, it took a week of setting, wearing, noting time lost or gained at the 24 hour period, the tiniest of nudges one way or other but not enough to see it visually move but rather you feel it gain some pressure and I must have been lucky but did the trick on all my amphibia's.

I've been less OBD on my Komandirskies, mainly because none of them are more than 5-10 secs a day anyway, my Zakas submariner is under 5 secs a day which surprised me but I guess the watch due to a broken mainspring just sat disregarded for years. If all my watches lost their "quirk" they wouldn't be so fun, if I wanted a low seconds loss a month I would wear my Slava quartz which is phenomenally accurate for such an old watch.

My Poljot signal is very low loss of timekeeping in a day, surprised me a lot that did, my Poljot tank however has started gaining a couple mins over a few days so thinking that's been magged up somewhere, my Luch has also become a little swift on the day with both heavy duty solid steel bracelets I am guessing they are both magnet weak.

My Chaika Stadium is kinda odd, its obv very used and sometimes it gains a bit in a day, sometimes its a touch slow in a day but saying that, by the end of the week it evens out on the average and it is such an effective auto I have no doubts as to its ability for long term wear.

Same with my three working 2234 Commanders, that just keep roughly good time, those are coming up to the big 50 mark and still running well, I don't expect too much from 'em hehe

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've just spotted these on ebay at £42 which is a lot better than £130 avg for the Weishi...

Anyone have any experience with these? Says in the blurb you just hook a line into your PC or fone and it does the business and may well be the device so many of us waiting for who can't afford the posh Weishi machine (I do all of mine on my disability money so super expensive solutions etc are out and repairs are by necessity done by me not able to afford a professional)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timegrapher-Watch-Timing-Machine-Multifunction-Tester-TGBC-TGBP-Repair-Tools-ET/372994692775?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=136175f3d5124132b515b92e0edf97e3&pid=100010&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=363017351443&itm=372994692775&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've just spotted these on ebay at £42 which is a lot better than £130 avg for the Weishi...

Anyone have any experience with these? Says in the blurb you just hook a line into your PC or fone and it does the business and may well be the device so many of us waiting for who can't afford the posh Weishi machine (I do all of mine on my disability money so super expensive solutions etc are out and repairs are by necessity done by me not able to afford a professional)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timegrapher-Watch-Timing-Machine-Multifunction-Tester-TGBC-TGBP-Repair-Tools-ET/372994692775?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=136175f3d5124132b515b92e0edf97e3&pid=100010&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=363017351443&itm=372994692775&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109
Looks like they sell just the mike and the watch holder only. I’ve seen similar price for the Weishi mike. Personally I would buy Weishi for a little more.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I can’t be fagged about one of these.

Whatever watch I have runs to it’s own time.

If it it is wildly out I’ll take the back of and adjust it.

It’s not important.
When I started collecting, I was happy if the watch would run for a full day. Then I was happy with less than 5 mins of error. Then with 1 min.... lol. These days I am quite paranoid: i want better than 30 secs of error on really old watches (from the 30s-50s) and just a few secs on 60s and younger. Given that I change watches every day I am not that bothered with a prolonged precision: 1 day is all I care about.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This Dirskie is the first watch I have that is more than 1-3 SPD off so my OCD struggles but at first it gained almost a minute so as I said I cracked open the back after reading here and watching some vids and at first I nudged it pretty good and went from a minute fast to a minute slow so started bumping it back and now it’s right at losing 10 SPD and so far resting positions affect it very little but I’m sure it I were to have a Timegrapher I could see the variance more accurately in different positions, I may wait a few weeks to see if it gets better as Odessa200 stated I need to give this watch some time to settle down after being unwound and then go from there.

I honestly do see myself getting a Timegrapher in the very near future, having it would allow me to at least get an idea on what my pieces are doing even if I don’t open the back up to adjust, I look at it as a information tool.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can’t be fagged about one of these.

Whatever watch I have runs to it’s own time.

If it it is wildly out I’ll take the back of and adjust it.

It’s not important.
I'm inclined to agree with you regarding accuracy. A watch is the last thing I'd use when accuracy is required. I only wear a watch for less than half a day and even a couple of minutes will make no never mind.

I got the timegraph device for other reasons. I just like to know about things and what's going on. I have many measuring devices, and I don't really need any of them to survive. They're all for the purpose of insight into the physical world. I'm probably not a normal watch collector though.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
For me, its only a few that are difficult to determine or get in the zone.

Of course sometimes the piece is in dire need of a service and no amount of tweaking is going to get that healthy beat back without work and the timegrapher is one of those things that make diagnosis super easy as you can hear the "heart" of the watch and see if its ragged then you know its out with the screwdrivers and cleaner, oils etc.

The box I linked above, it seems that its the business end of a timegrapher but you use your pc etc to do the heavy lifting rather than a bespoke device like the Weishi, I am fine with that as I have a very good computer with a very good audio package, I will keep an eye til next month and grab one to test it out, I think I will go for the multipositional one though as having that is useful imho.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Gents I have spent the last few days making tiny and I mean tiny adjustments and I think at this point I need to stop, as I stated when I first got this piece I was gaining 40-50 SPD so I cracked the case and made what I thought was a tiny move but I then was losing a minute a day so I started playing seesaw going back and fourth with gaining and losing 8-10 SPD but each time I got a bit closer and now I am currently at losing 1-2 SPD while wearing so I’m thinking I need to stop.

This has been a very interesting journey of tiny adjustments and I have decided I just for one need to stop as I don’t think I can get better and two I need to place an order for a timegrapher as this would have made it much easier but under the circumstances I managed to get it done with 18-20 tiny adjustments.

After my latest accomplishment I cleaned and lightly lubed the case back seal and tightened the ring back and guessed on how snug it needed to be and then lightly polished the outside of the case and also the crystal with some Flitz polish and soft cloth and I have to say it looks outstanding and hope it provides me many years of service, I was hoping after tightening the case back on with the ring that it might get a tad better as Odessa200 said it may speed up a second or two but if it stays at the 1-2 SPD loss I am perfectly pleased with that and maybe I can control it with different resting positions.

Now it’s time to find another vintage piece, I keep coming back to this style but want a manual daily winder and not an automatic, the one picture was for sale but someone purchased it so guessing it was not meant to be for me but I just love the look but want vintage in mint condition and want it to be a manual daily winder

519C70F5-6053-410F-B2C6-DD0337963928.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts