WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comrades!
Although I mainly wear mechanical watches, I decided that my Soviet collection won't be complete without a LED and/or LCD watch.
Who can advise me on buying an
Elektronica 1
ruwelektronika1a.jpg

And an Elektronika 5
ruwelektronika3b.jpg

Can anyone give me some tips what to look for with vintage examples and what the best suplliers are for buying these new?

Spazibo!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have a number of early Elektronika LCD quartz watches - mostly B6-02s and B6-202s The things to look out for are any signs of bleeding on on the LCD crystal. Also, when buying make sure you see a photo of the movement. Although there is not much to see on the LCD quartz unit and what you are looking for is to check the battery compartment for signs of previous battery leaks and also that the battery connectors are complete and not corroded. Also, if buying a later LCD model, check to see if there are any signs of corrosion on the circuit board.

I think also it is better to avoid the B6-202 as the LCD screens suffer shadow, discolouration and bleeding more than the earlier B6-02.

I have a page of my Elektronikas on my website: https://sekondtime.wordpress.com/watch-brands/elektronika-%d1%8d%d0%bb%d0%b5%d0%ba%d1%82%d1%80%d0%be%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%ba%d0%b0/

With some expanded diagrams of movement units/parts here:

https://sekondtime.wordpress.com/ussr-quartz/ussr-quartz-elektronika/

A good site for photographs and information is Sergei Frolov's website SOVIET DIGITAL ELECTRONICS MUSEUM. By Sergei Frolov

B6-02 Elektronika, also comes under the Sekonda brand with a blue dial.

ekektronika-b6-02.jpg

The B6-202 often shows signs of discoloration, shadow and bleeding in the LCD crystal

sekonda-elektronika-5-202-green-4.jpg

I know others here on the forum are fans of and know more about later LCD examples from Belarus.

Sekondtime

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I think the Soviet LED watch is lots of fun. The whole LED watch era was very short because the LCD digital electronics were much more energy efficient.

LED calculators didn't last long either - my first calculator was a TI with an LED display (I hope I still have it somewhere).

Here's my watch - not practical but great to have.

E1.jpg E2.jpg E3.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts