WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

After lurking in the shadows for a while this is my first post!

I am currently driving my family up the wall being unable to decide between the Hamilton Khaki Quartz 33mm and 38mm watches. I have thin wrists (6.25 inches) and have in the past worn 38/40mm watches and have always thought that they seem a little large. There is something about the 33mm that I like. Probably the vintage military size. I notice it appears on Hamilton's website as a mans watch but it is small. If only they made a 36mm version!

Anyway here are some photos of them on my wrist. I'd be very grateful for any comments or advice.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I like the look of the 38. The 33 would look a bit bigger on a watch with a really thin bezel, like a Nomos, but that bezel is a bit thicker. Having said that, given that you've had the opportunity to try them both on, and you seem to like the 33, I'm not sure you should allow our opinions to sway you.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I think that the 38mm one looks perfectly fine on your wrists.
Having said that, my wrist being at 6.25" as well and with my smallest watch at 36mm (albeit with long lugs), it's probably the smallest I will go.
I'd say the comfort zone for our wrist size lies between 36mm (with long lugs) - 44mm (with short lugs).

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
in that particular style, i like the 38mm... like someone said if it was something like NOMOS design i also would equally like the 33mm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
38mm all the way! But as many have said, buy what you think looks better! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
They both look fine, the 38mm looks more modern and the 33 definitely has a vintage vibe. Go with whatever matches your style more closely. I usually gravitate towards smaller watches but the 38 looks really good

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
Welcome!

It's your wrist, but I think the 33 looks teeny. Part of that is the trend these days to wear larger watches (my favorites are 40-44, and I have a wrist a little larger than yours). I'd say if you want something vintage sized, buy a truly vintage watch (you can get Hamiltons on the Bay for a lot less than this new one), and buy the 38mm new. (Another factor, if you ever decide you want to trade up for a better watch, it'll be way easier to sell the 38 than the 33, based on the current trend.)

Best of luck, and whatever you decide, enjoy!

·
Registered
575 Posts
The 38 for my taste; because it is an easier read on the wrist and it'll stick out nicely from your shirt sleeve. Also, if things go smaller it'll still be "in"...
Once you get use to it, that 33 will look small. I have found with my vintage pieces that it takes me a day or two before they don't look like micro-dots on my wrist. (7.25)
My wife is wearing my vintage 36mm's and she loves them; she also is use to small pieces.
But, I will say that particular one looks good in both sizes, my taste just runs to the bigger piece.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome!

It's your wrist, but I think the 33 looks teeny. Part of that is the trend these days to wear larger watches (my favorites are 40-44, and I have a wrist a little larger than yours). I'd say if you want something vintage sized, buy a truly vintage watch (you can get Hamiltons on the Bay for a lot less than this new one), and buy the 38mm new. (Another factor, if you ever decide you want to trade up for a better watch, it'll be way easier to sell the 38 than the 33, based on the current trend.)

Best of luck, and whatever you decide, enjoy!
+1

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
i actually prefer the more classical small size of the 33, but then again, I'm more of a vintage fan, and there is something elegant about a smaller watch and how it just blends in rather than stand out.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have thin wrists (6.25 inches) and have in the past worn 38/40mm watches and have always thought that they seem a little large. There is something about the 33mm that I like.
They both look good. But if you think 38-40mm is a little large for you and you're leaning towards the 33mm, get the 33mm.

Ultimately, you have to wear it. Be comfortable with it.

I know if I'm wearing a watch I think is too large, I hate it. I'm very self conscious of it's size. I assume you would be, too.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm a small watch fan, but there's a LOT of visible band on the bottom picture. 36 would be ideal, but a 33mm watch on a man is going to stand out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i actually prefer the more classical small size of the 33, but then again, I'm more of a vintage fan, and there is something elegant about a smaller watch and how it just blends in rather than stand out.
I don't think that 33mm blends in at all. I think it stands out in a bad way. It's way too small. Jm2c

36-44mm works on my 6.25" wrist with 44mm pushing on too big.

Here's my 36mm DJ

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357761324.267506.jpg

And here's my 42mm Anonimo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357761542.831542.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you fixed on that particular watch? The military style is a common one and I'm sure some brand makes a 36mm one. The first thing that comes to mind is the Seiko 5 military at 37mm and I'm sure other members would have more suggestions.

Seiko-5-Military-Automatic-Watch-1.jpeg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Either way you won't make a mistake. I would take 38 mm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts