WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ISO type silicone strap that needs one more rectangular slot. Before I screw this up, as I have a few times before, what's the best method for cutting the slot? Razor blade? Drill? Hot nail?

Thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Tandy Leather Co. ....match a leather hole punch to your strap hole pattern. Line it up. Whack with the mallet on a cutting board. Voila!

But perhaps not that easy.

I bet one could even fashion said hole pattern punch tool with a little ingenuity, perhaps some tools like a Dremel, diamond bits, mild steel or brass or carbon fiber rod.

Even the right diameter brass tubing with sharpened edges would work. Massage the round to a rectangle as close as you can get to the strap hole. Practice on something else.

Good luck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tandy Leather Co. ....match a leather hole punch to your strap hole pattern. Line it up. Whack with the mallet on a cutting board. Voila!

But perhaps not that easy.

I bet one could even fashion said hole pattern punch tool with a little ingenuity, perhaps some tools like a Dremel, diamond bits, mild steel or brass or carbon fiber rod.

Even the right diameter brass tubing with sharpened edges would work. Massage the round to a rectangle as close as you can get to the strap hole. Practice on something else.

Good luck.
Thanks. Good advice. For a slot, what about two whacks with a small sharpened chisel then cut the short sides?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Now you're thinking! Remember...bevel in....towards the hole to be ...not outwards towards virgin territory away from the hole to be.

I carve in different mediums. The direction the bevel faces and cuts makes a big difference in the result.

Pic of my display case and some things I've carved.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’ve tried a regular leather strap hole punch and it worked fine, though the hole was round instead of rectangular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I’ve tried a regular leather strap hole punch and it worked fine, though the hole was round instead of rectangular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this.
make two parallel round holes with a leather belt hole puncher, then cut from one to the other with an x-acto.
this will ensure you don't have to join two cuts at the corners, which will make a vulnerable spot for ripping and will never look quite right.

remember to use a cardboard or something together with the strap that'll allow the puncher to cut all the way through,
don't use the x-acto in a saw like movement, hold it at a 20% acute angle, for example, and try for one single cut only,
again with cardboard or something underneath.

this is the best I've ever managed to come up with, but luck is still 50% of the end result, honestly. .

·
Premium Member
71,255 Posts
this.
make two parallel round holes with a leather belt hole puncher, then cut from one to the other with an x-acto.
this will ensure you don't have to join two cuts at the corners, which will make a vulnerable spot for ripping and will never look quite right.

remember to use a cardboard or something together with the strap that'll allow the puncher to cut all the way through,
don't use the x-acto in a saw like movement, hold it at a 20% acute angle, for example, and try for one single cut only,
again with cardboard or something underneath.

this is the best I've ever managed to come up with, but luck is still 50% of the end result, honestly. .
+1
Oh and measure twice before you punch. I speak as someone who only measured once when he was cutting a rubber strap and made a real dog’s dinner of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts