WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rolex 16013 from a bullion store(I'm a regular customer here and do trust the owner) around November or 2013 for $1650 with the 18k jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel. I was getting married in August of 2014 so i was a little strapped for cash when it came to servicing the watch and bringing it to Rolex to get it checked out. I did bring it to a rolex dealer and have them authenticate it for me because it had no box or papers. Now that the wedding is over I went to nyc rolex to get the watch serviced because I had the money and I noticed the watch was running fast. I found out the watch has a corroded case frame ($1650) and a corroded case back ($135). With servicing being $600 the bill with tax came out to $2596. The watch isn't worth that amount and seems foolish to pay that much to repair it. I'm going to go back to where I bought it on Tuesday when they open and talk to the guy, but I don't expect my money back since its been almost a year from purchase. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The only advice that can be offered is hindsight knowledge. The next time you buy a higher end watch, have it checked out before finalizing the sale.

You didn't overpay, in fact you got a decent deal. So you didn't get taken, if the watch was in better condition.

Keep in mind that the goal of any Rolex RSC is to return the watch to the owner in 'like new' condition and their diagnostics can sometimes be a bit harsh to the owner. If there is any doubt about restoring the watch to that level of perfection, they just refuse to do the work. If you still like the watch and want to own a Rolex is to seek out an independent watch repair person familiar with Rolex and plugged into a Rolex parts account and see what they say. If the corrosion isn't preventing proper water resistance and new gaskets will hold, and the watch repair place will sign off on the work, then try that route. You'd likely get out of the deal for closer to $500 if it can be serviced without the case/caseback replacement. Or maybe it's just the caseback that needs replacement...

Absent that, you can and obviously will approach the seller. If they value your continued business, maybe they'll just give you your money back and sell the watch to someone else.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
To add to what kawika said, it might just be that the midcase and caseback require a little laser welding. This is typically a fairly cost-effective proposition.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Did RSC give you any indication how long the corrosion had been there?

i suspect your options might be limited to pay or done pay, however there may be ways to lessen the blow depending how bad the case is. I assume it is all internal as you would have known otherwise. Perhaps there is someone else like IWW who can restore that case instead of just replacing it like RSC would want to do.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Kawika's advice is solid. Get a second opinion from a Rolex-certified independent as to how severe the corrosion actually is. Rolex has really high standards for their service work, expecting to return each watch to the owner as if it just came off the line. Which means to them ANY corrosion is too much. You may well find that you are perfectly satisfied with a lesser standard and that an independent can help you reach it.

Jeannie

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yes, you need to get it checked out. If it's not too bad (concur with Rolex's high standards...) a thicker gasket may seal up the watch pretty good. Might lose out on water resistance, so washing your hands is all it can take vice the normal swimming, showering. I'd take that as a cost effective compromise to get the watch safe to wear and running good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone I'm going back to where i bought it on friday if that doesn't turn out well then i will seek out a independent and get their opinion. I would really like to keep it. I love that watch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for curiosity i went into a grey market dealer who was willing to give me $1200 for the watch. I went back to where i bought it and the guy sent it to the watch hospital on 47th St in nyc. He said he would pay for it so i figured it was worth a shot. We did open the watch up and it really didn't look bad. Just looked like it needed to be cleaned to me, but I'm not an expert. Either way if it doesn't work out I know i could sell it for $1200 and only take a $400 loss. Thanks everyone for the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts