WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Willard, Sub, Explorer, DJ, Air-King, Seamaster, etc.
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new watch collector. Only have about 8 and the most valuable is a Tag Monaco, so I'm in the "up to $2,000" range. I want an Omega now but can't decide between the 2254.50 and a Bond. (Justification is that I want 3 nicer watches so each of my boys can have one when I croak, how's that?! Others are two Glycines, an old Heuer diver, couple of Luminoxes, and a Movado 800 my wife bought me which, I think, is unfairly maligned by the critics.)

The question is, do the higher end watch types regard the 2254.50 as a "poor man's Rolex Sub" and would the general public regard the Bond as a little silly, and which looks more stunning? Mostly concerned about the first and third issues (both brothers in law have gold and steel Subs and I live in No Man's Land for seeing any of these in person). There is also the matter of price, with the Bond being about $700 more. Finally the 2254.50 is a backorder item, although since I can get one for $1,612 new, I don't know why I'd pay $1,500 for a used one, regardless of whether it's "95%." Is a C Note that big a deal? Anyway, I would value any opinions, even of the "what the hell do you care what people think" variety? Thanks to all for reading and have a good day!

Lee

·
Registered
555 Posts
Welcome.

Any Omega diver is definitely not an "poor man's Sub", I see it more as a "smart man's alternative".

Get the one YOU like. It's a standard answer but oh so true.

Have a look at the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean as well.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
If you are getting into watch collecting, then I suggest the 2254. It is discontinued and will eventually be very difficult to find new. Other than that, they are both spectacular watches. Get the one that sings to you most and you will have made the right choice. There are some great reviews out there on the 2254 vs the Rolex Sub. Pretty suprising results unless you are familiar with Omega... then you will say "I knew that".- David

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to Omegalnad, Lee. The Rolex-Omega debate has been around for a very long time, and it always comes down to personal preference. Of course, there will be some people who will view the SMP as a poor man's Sub, from Rolex owners, to the general public who is more likely to recognize the Rolex name. But, most of us around here strongly believe that the SMP matches or exceeds the Sub in quality and style. Don't take our word for it; go visit a dealer that has both and compare them side by side.

As David mentioned, the black SMP (2254.50) has recently been discontinued. The Bond has recently been "upgraded" with a fancier dial and enhancements to the movement, which is why it's more expensive. Personally, I think the black model is more attractive and unique, and it shares design elements from the original Seamaster divers from 50 years ago.

Good luck in your decision, and let us know how it works out.

eric

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The question is, do the higher end watch types regard the 2254.50 as a "poor man's Rolex Sub" and would the general public regard the Bond as a little silly, and which looks more stunning? Mostly concerned about the first and third issues (both brothers in law have gold and steel Subs and I live in No Man's Land for seeing any of these in person). Anyway, I would value any opinions, even of the "what the hell do you care what people think" variety? Thanks to all for reading and have a good day!
Lee
Its the proverbial question here, Rolex v Omega. I have the 2254.50 and chose it over the Sub(as one of my choices). Since the Omega looks almost nothing like the Rolex Sub, I would say, its a fine time piece on its own merits, and has its roots with the Omega Divers from the 50s. Subs are way overpriced and get a lot of their rep from marketing & name branding. I can assure you, the "look at me I have a Rolex" crowd will not appreciate your watch, which may include your Brother in laws. However, anyone with an ounce of watch knowledge will appreciate it, and I can assure that you will appreciate it. Rolex and Omega are both Mid range luxury watches, not high end watches. And if you get some gab from your in laws you can promptly point out that you did some extensive research and found that the Omega is arguably equal to the Rolex in historical significance and quite frankly is a better value for the $$. Not a single Rolex has been to the moon.

Back to the selection. The 2254 is a great watch. I have one and plan to hand it down to my Son. Me personally, I don't care much for blue faced watches, so I don't get into the bond, but the new co-axial version is very tempting. If you are really looking to play in the league as your in-laws, then I would highly suggest either the Planet Ocean or the Speedy Pro. The Speedy Pro has been to the moon, and the Planet Ocean, well what can I say but it is arguably a better watch than the sub. Both of these fine watches can be had for about $2200-2300 street price, a little over your budget, but well worth the extra coin.

If you want the 2254 you need to jump on one now, as they have been discontinued by Omega, and may or not be upgraded to the co-axial version at probably $800-$1000 more. Just my observation but you will probably get more comments with the Bond watch, because of the blue dial. The 2254 is not flashy and is a great all around tool watch.

Best of luck
Mike

·
Registered
856 Posts
Don't fall prey to what the "high end watch types" consider good or bad owning a Rolex is not big deal these days of $45,000 pickup trucks both are good watches not elite watches but good watches none the less. The Omega delivers quite a bit of bang for the bucks laid out and really has nothing to duck and run about, the Rolex is a Rolex if bought right (and I stress that) you can just about wear it for nothing for a long time and still easily get your money and then some out of the watch. As Mike pointed out time is right for 2254 with the 1120 movement and the window of opportunity might be closing slightly I would wager once they are gone from AD stocks the used market price will pick up considerably. I own both brands and recently retired my 1665 Seadweller after 25 plus years of beating hell out of it, it served me well but it just got to the point of being worth too much to beat up anymore. Beware of watch snobs every brand has them and in some cases will steer you down trails you really don't want to travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts