WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lifetime collector and full on watch nerd I am finally ready to take the plunge into building a watch of my own... A Frankenwatch that is...

I've been able to figure out most of what I need to complete this project as well as relative guide to the pricing but there are a few issues for which I could definitely use the help of the Masters here. In this manner my most pressing issues are as follows...

1) is there any particular Valjoux movement that stands apart from the rest in terms of quality? I've heard that the 7750 is number one, but that was just some googling.

2) will the parts for any watch that use a given Valjoux movement be interchangeable? (Example: movement to case, movement to dial, hands, etc)

3) are there any good places to find a solid price on one of these movements aside from eBay?

4) what are some of the most prestigious pieces that I could attempt to re-create with a Valjoux movement... I've found some Breitling and Hamilton dials, but may just go for whatever vintage dial I can get in the best shape.

5) any advice in general on how to expeditiously go about this process, or even other movements that I should consider?

To inform your responses, I am hoping to build a vintage chrono from the ground up with a perfect NOS/minty dial on whichever movement I decide.

Also, please feel free to post any pictures of your watches that use a Valjoux movement, I'd love some inspiration to spur me on!

Thanks so much and apologies for any stupid questions!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Maybe try taking apart some cheap (as in $5 from the local swap meet) watches and putting them back together. If you can fix one or two of them, even better. Working with a 7750 for your first project (any kind of project) isn't a good idea. That's a $469 movement that you're talking about (I don't even own a while watch that costs that much).

http://www.ofrei.com/page240.html

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe try taking apart some cheap (as in $5 from the local swap meet) watches and putting them back together. If you can fix one or two of them, even better. Working with a 7750 for your first project (any kind of project) isn't a good idea. That's a $469 movement that you're talking about (I don't even own a while watch that costs that much).

Valjoux Watch Movements

I appreciate your candor, but that doesn't answer a single question I asked...

BUMP

·
Registered
551 Posts
OK I'll bite...

As a lifetime collector and full on watch nerd I am finally ready to take the plunge into building a watch of my own... A Frankenwatch that is...

I've been able to figure out most of what I need to complete this project as well as relative guide to the pricing but there are a few issues for which I could definitely use the help of the Masters here. In this manner my most pressing issues are as follows...

1) is there any particular Valjoux movement that stands apart from the rest in terms of quality? I've heard that the 7750 is number one, but that was just some googling.
Valjoux made many excelent movements - which is "best" is quite subjective. The 7750 is an excellent movement.

2) will the parts for any watch that use a given Valjoux movement be interchangeable? (Example: movement to case, movement to dial, hands, etc)
See the Watchmakers Library sticky thread for background reading matter that will answer these questions.

3) are there any good places to find a solid price on one of these movements aside from eBay?
Any of the many material houses that carry movement - which is "good" depends on where in the world you live. Google will help.

4) what are some of the most prestigious pieces that I could attempt to re-create with a Valjoux movement... I've found some Breitling and Hamilton dials, but may just go for whatever vintage dial I can get in the best shape.
It sounds like you are trying to create a fake - this is probably why you are not getting many helpful responses.

5) any advice in general on how to expeditiously go about this process, or even other movements that I should consider
Read much and follow the advise given here

Originally Posted by Eidian

He may not have answered a single question but he gave you the information you need rather than the information you asked for.

To inform your responses, I am hoping to build a vintage chrono from the ground up with a perfect NOS/minty dial on whichever movement I decide.
So you are planning to build a fake...

Also, please feel free to post any pictures of your watches that use a Valjoux movement, I'd love some inspiration to spur me on!

Oh, please don't apologise

·
Registered
955 Posts

yeah that is the most used one
NO

yeah but they aint cheap cousinsuk,frei,etc etc
depends on a movement and your abilities to ake it great looking Philip Patek? Vacheron Constantin? they all used valjoux sometimes in their history. modern would be breitling omega etc, but i hope you understand that it will still be a fake one
5) any advice in general on how to expeditiously go about this process, or even other movements that I should consider?
buy 2-3 movements as i see by your exerience you will ruin the first two movements soyou dont want to loose time to repair the movement you damage.you will just exchange them. i would suggest also 2 cases 3-4 dials and 5 set of hands besides of the tools

good luck with that

i dont have one too expensive for me

thank you also for making my day.

i sincerely hope i answered your questions

br
emso

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Hi Jebus1205,

no suprise for me, why it lasted so long until the first serious replies came, and both, Tanguero and emso deserve the forum gold medal for patience and political correctness.

If I read your question right, they summarize to one question: How do I do what Rolex does, but without knowledge, skills, effort, money, and equipment?

Can you imagine now, why people either didn't respond or dropped their jokes?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Jebus1205,

no suprise for me, why it lasted so long until the first serious replies came, and both, Tanguero and emso deserve the forum gold medal for patience and political correctness.

If I read your question right, they summarize to one question: How do I do what Rolex does, but without knowledge, skills, effort, money, and equipment?

Can you imagine now, why people either didn't respond or dropped their jokes?

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Political correctness?? Moi?? Oh dear - my standards have slipped!!! I do apologise, I promise won't let it happen again ;-)

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL! I think that both emso and Tanguero didn't want to incur the wrath of the OP the way that I did. It sucks being told to "stuff your face" when your original intention was to save someone some frustration.

I get it though, I know my place; I only have a dozen-or-so successful rebuilds under my belt with as many failures. That CANNOT compare against the impeccable credentials of "lifetime collector".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts