WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm in the UK, new to this forum, and don't yet have a smart watch - though I have lots of conventional ones! The advice I am asking for is about which smart watch I could choose. My essential problem is that I have an iPhone 5S which I'm very happy with, and I don't want to go back to Android, really. When I've looked on Amazon etc. I have seen huge numbers of watches that are supposed to be compatible with iPhones, (though clearly the features aren't all available except with Android) - so it's hard to get a real idea of which are really compatible. I don't need many features anyway, but here are my basic requirements.

1. I DON'T want an Apple watch - I don't like the appearance - or the price.
2. I don't particularly want to spend £300+, though this isn't necessarily a deal-breaker if I found exactly what I want.
3. I don't need all the fitness features, so a watch that's especially geared to activity would be unsuitable.
4. I'd really like a watch with variable face styles - not a purely analogue face.
5. As far as connectivity with the iPhone is concerned, I'd be happy if the watch just beeped/vibrated when I have an incoming call or text - I don't need to be able to answer the call or see the text on the watch - I can just take my phone out of my pocket for that. It would also be great if the watch updated its timekeeping from the phone so that it's always correct.

Other features like GPS and so on would be a bonus but not necessarily important. I don't have a big issue about battery life - it can go on charge every night.

Is there anything out there that definitely fits all my requirements? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Nothing really matches all those requirements.

Google WearOS is supposed to be compatible with iOS, but my experience with it on an Android phone has been hit & miss. WearOS overall is not an OS that I openly recommend without some reservations. I have managed to keep it working on my Fossil gen4 explorist, but again its not ideal. I find the reliability is completely dependent on OS updates from Google... which have been hit & miss for me.

Just like you all I really need is a basic bluetooth wrist buzz notifier for calls / text, and some nice watch dials to swap. WearOS works for these things... as long as the updates do not interfere.

What I can't stand about WearOS is the STUPID cloud icon they force-display ontop of the watch face. HATE this!!! nails on chalkboard annoying having a really nice watch face with a stupid cloud icon that I can not turn off.

[/url]

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
OP, what have you looked at so far? Once you whittle down the options to large and more reputable manufacturers, you end up with just a handful of choices.

If you don’t want an Apple Watch, and wearOS makes you hesitate, I’d say to look at Fitbit/Garmin/Suunto instead. My only non-Apple personal experience is my wife and her Fitbit ChargeHR, which can notify her of texts and calls.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
There is Samsung, Asus, Fossil, whoever else, various Xiaomy and infinite number of fitness bands often as low as 100$ getting notifications and vibrating
Choices really are unlimited nowadays.
Even Citizen/Casio BT enabled watches beep or vibrate but they are expensive.
There is 300$ G-Shock with solar and BT also capable of notifications.
Depending on where you want to go you can have charging/no charging/ 200m WR options
My suggestion is to visit local big box electronic retailer get hands on on what is available.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You could purchase a Samsung smart watch.
This is probably the best option for the OPs preferences in the first half of 2019. I have read a couple iPhone users saying their Samsung watches receive notifications from imessage. Which seems strange to me, I always thought iOS was a sealed bank vault in terms of what they allow into the ecosystem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had an apple watch as first smartwatch and it was great, however after a couple of months i was over the whole smart watch thing and wanted to go back to analog.

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
This is probably the best option for the OPs preferences in the first half of 2019. I have read a couple iPhone users saying their Samsung watches receive notifications from imessage. Which seems strange to me, I always thought iOS was a sealed bank vault in terms of what they allow into the ecosystem.
This is correct.
You can receive iOS notifications, you just won't be able to respond to them.

The Samsung range use their own proprietary OS, called Tizen, and have their own marketplace for apps and watch faces.

Not as extensive as Apple or Google of course, but most app requirements can be catered for.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Best bet is still an Apple Watch - a used or refurbed Series 3 or 4 would be perfect and looks as good as any really, other than the TAG connected, if they still make it. Of course the TAG is $$$

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Why even consider a smart watch?

You might be happier with a pair of Bluetooth Earbuds with voice assistance and notifications etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
Best bet is still an Apple Watch - a used or refurbed Series 3 or 4 would be perfect and looks as good as any really, other than the TAG connected, if they still make it. Of course the TAG is $$$
Because :

"1. I DON'T want an Apple watch - I don't like the appearance - or the price."

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I would say Polar or Garmin are great iWatch alternatives. Polar is European too, so it abides by GDPR worldwide if you care about how your data is processed.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Does that Matrix have any of the features requested by the original poster?

Thanks,
rationaltime
According to Amazon:
All Matrix smart watches feature our patented thermoelectric technology to keep your watch charged using the heat your body naturally produces
Easy-to-use fitness tracking smart watch records metrics such as calories, steps, and sleep with highly accurate senors
Not only water resistant, the Matrix smart watch offers the ability to dive to a depth of 50M (164 ft). With the reinforced bezel, there's nowhere you can't go with this watch
Sync your Matrix smart watch with other smart devices seemlessly, compatible with iPhone/Samsung/Galaxy/iPad/Tablets

·
Registered
750 Posts
Garmin is having a sale right now in the instinct. $199 US. Not sure if that applies across the pond, but well worth the look for that price

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts