WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Seeking your advice and recommendations for a new dress watch purchase. $2500 bugdet, but no need to use the whole budget of course.

I'm looking for a dress watch that is rectangular or square. Mechanical. Must be fairly thin so that it fits under a dress shirt cuff (I wear a suit all day every day). I prefer simple dials so no complications at all except perhaps a date display. A major concern is the size of the watch. Smaller is definitely better as my left wrist is only 6". Shattered that wrist when I was young and it never fully recovered. :) Most of the rectangular watches I have come across have a long lug to lug measurement and just look silly on me.

So far, I like the looks of the Nomos Tetra and JLC Reverso Classique (although it is bit big and probably too tall). What else is out there?

Thank you for your assistance.

-David

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Reverso Classic (classique--whatever) is not a big watch. Have you tried it in person? I have 6.5 inch wrists and thought it was a bit small and preferred the grande taille size. That said, the JLC is going to be over your budget unless you go with the quartz version. I think they still make one. You could also look at a Cartier Tank Solo, bit I think this is quartz, too.. Hmm, let me think...regtangular dress watch, mechanical, $2500 budget...Baume et Mercier. If the Hampton series is too long for you, they make a more square version that might work for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Reverso Classic (classique--whatever) is not a big watch. Have you tried it in person? I have 6.5 inch wrists and thought it was a bit small and preferred the grande taille size. That said, the JLC is going to be over your budget unless you go with the quartz version. I think they still make one. You could also look at a Cartier Tank Solo, bit I think this is quartz, too.. Hmm, let me think...regtangular dress watch, mechanical, $2500 budget...Baume et Mercier. If the Hampton series is too long for you, they make a more square version that might work for you.
Havent had a chance to try it in person yet. Hoping to make it up to New York in a couple weeks to try on a bunch of watches. :)

Going to check out the hampton series now. Thank you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
None come to mind in your price range unless you consider a gently used one. Check out Tissot. They have a variety of square and rectangular across all their lines and IMO their better watches stack up quite well in build quality, fit, finish, and ergonomics against anything comparable by anyone else.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
my thoughts exactly; they are very easy on the eyes.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
I don't think a new Monaco can be had for under $2500. If you want to save and get a similar style, look at the Hamilton Jazzmaster Square.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Christopher Ward Henley - Lots of fans of CW on this forum, and the owners seem pretty involved with the customers. They only sell online, though they have a pretty cool 60 day return policy.

Tissot T-Trend Quadrato - A little sportier, but it is only 37mm wide.

Both have Swiss movements in them, and are well below the $1K range. I own a different Tissot and am very happy with the quality for the price. I have read similar things about CW. If you looked for a used B&M Hampton, it would be possible to get all 3 for less than 2K. But I would always suggest trying it on first. Me, I have about 6.5 wrists and don't really care for the way a rectangular shape sits.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts