WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was directed to this area from the main forum by a very helpful post, so I've posted my thread below.

I've been looking around the forum and I thought I'd post asking for some advice. I'm looking for a watch for under £200 (around $300). If anyone could give any tips and advice it would be very much appreciated - it's essentially for "business" wear, I'd like something with a metal strap, not too much on the face (preferably no extra sub-dials etc.), and just generally nice looking with decent time-keeping!

I really like the look of the Omega Seamaster Ocean-Planet - but way out of budget! Is there something similar looking for a far reduced price?! -

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Planet Ocean - Steel on steel - 232.30.42.21.01.001

If anyone can think of something they could recommend I would very much appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Have you looked at Orient Mako? Or some other Orient models? Also there are many Seiko and Citizen models in your price range. Do you prefer mechanical or a quartz watch?

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
If timekeeping is a priority you're best off going for a quartz watch. Citizen are probably your best bet in that price bracket.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Maybe try the Orient Mako XL, or a Wenger Batallion III. Both have a Planet Ocean essence to them.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery (pic google'd)
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap This Wenger also comes with a black bezel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you looked at Orient Mako? Or some other Orient models? Also there are many Seiko and Citizen models in your price range. Do you prefer mechanical or a quartz watch?
Thanks for getting back to me - to be completely honest, I think I would prefer quartz, but I'm happy to take advice? This is my first real watch purchase so I'm grateful to those with superior knowledge!

I've had a look at the Mako, which looks good. The black face background is very nice Another person recommended the Seiko 007, which looks similar and very good too. I guess it comes down to personal taste and style.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me - to be completely honest, I think I would prefer quartz, but I'm happy to take advice? This is my first real watch purchase so I'm grateful to those with superior knowledge!

I've had a look at the Mako, which looks good. The black face background is very nice Another person recommended the Seiko 007, which looks similar and very good too. I guess it comes down to personal taste and style.
Yeah at the end of day you should buy what you like. Also take a look at Tissot and Victorinox watches. IMHO great bang for buck brands and swiss made if that sort of thing is important to you. You could also look at daily WRUW threads to see if you find something you like.
Best of luck in your search and post some shots of your new watch when you get it! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is just a long long shot, but I saw a mod of skx007 here on the seiko section. The original hands were replace with the Planet Ocean hands and the bezel also was replace with a similar looking design. It was really nice.

But I will agree with the post above, Orient Mako is as close as you can get imo. Also check out the Orient Ray.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you prefer quartz, perhaps take a look at Citizen Eco-Drive divers like the ones below. The good thing about them is they are charged by light so you don't have to replace the battery. These 2 models can be found for under $300.

BN0100-51E & BN0030-71E

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is just a long long shot, but I saw a mod of skx007 here on the seiko section. The original hands were replace with the Planet Ocean hands and the bezel also was replace with a similar looking design. It was really nice.
I'd like to see that - don't suppose you have the thread name or anything else?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Take a look at the Bernhardt Sea Shark and Binnacle Anchor. Fred Amos makes a very well put-together watch for the price. Just search around the web a little for reviews, opinions, and pics - their own website does not do their watches any justice at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts