WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !

dont know about seiko but I would like one !
A diver, but with a Japanese day wheel (original, no mod) and vintage.
After some homework (and help) it looks that the only three divers with a kanji day wheel (original) are the 7548, 7C43 quartz and 6306 automatic.

Do you have some advices before I make a mistake (or not !)
Thanks !

Registered
That's pretty much it for vintage kanji divers. If you want to be GUARANTEED it was made in japan, go for a 1980 or older.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright guys, thanks. What are the price right now ? around 300$ ?
Any website to check the serial number ?

All the kanji day wheel are both english and japanese ? (like that >)

Thanks !

Registered
Not to knock an entire country but just heads up when it comes to watches coming from the Phillipines, there are a lot questionable watches up for sale. Read this to start (it will help and give you and idea of what to look for) HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6309 DIVER - A Collector's... No records of serial numbers but be advised the first two digits represent (respectively) the year and then the month; so a watch with a serial number beginning with 73 would be 1977, month of March (O,N,D are Oct, Nov & Dec).

There are a lot of frankenseikos out there, some made to resemble untouched vintage watches (original dial and hands but both from separate watches and put on a different movement (all 6309 movements will work in a 6309 dive watch and it's not really a big deal). There are a number of things to consider; dial, hands, caseback, movement to decide (or prove) a watch is authentic. Read up as much as you can.

You might have the best luck buying from a WUS member but regardless, ask a lot of questions, ask for more, or better pictures and basically pick their brain. If they're selling an honest piece they should be willing to answer your questions/requests but if so, serviced or not an authentic 6303/9 etc will command a higher price, maybe $400 or so (or more). maybe double that if it's been serviced (ask by whom, receipt from watchmaker etc, if ad says Master Watchmaker might be best to leave that one alone)

Registered
Alright guys, thanks. What are the price right now ? around 300$ ?
Any website to check the serial number ?

All the kanji day wheel are both english and japanese ? (like that >)

Thanks !
I have no Seikos with kanji wheels, ty for the pic, arabic, spanish and roman yes. Now I know from your pic that most sellers photograph the watch set to Thursday, until now i did not know what day it was only that it was the most frequent day in kanji to see. The idea of buying from a WUS or other horological forum member in good standing is a safe bet, "buy the seller" is a useful axiom. Good luck.

Registered
Lots of frankenwatches with vintage Seikos. YouTuber and Seikoholic Spencer Klein usually has some for sale (not sure how vintage the ones currently posted for sale are). Prices at his site are on the upper side, but he usually services them and you can be sure everything will be legit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello guys ! Thanks for your replies and advices.
I went for one on ebay, 7548 7000 from 81 (for what the caseback says (first battery change on 1983 and hopefully it is the original one... :whistle:) But looks good, seller says it is unpolished and all original. I will post some pic when I receive it !

Registered
The bit of advice I have for anyone wanting a Japanese Kanji day wheel is to learn the difference between the Chinese Hanzi day wheel and the Japanese Kanji day wheel. I love the idea of a Japanese Kanji day wheel on a Japanese watch but I also like a Chinese day wheel on an Asia exclusive like on the white dial, red bezel Citizen Fugu.

Registered
The bit of advice I have for anyone wanting a Japanese Kanji day wheel is to learn the difference between the Chinese Hanzi day wheel and the Japanese Kanji day wheel. I love the idea of a Japanese Kanji day wheel on a Japanese watch but I also like a Chinese day wheel on an Asia exclusive like on the white dial, red bezel Citizen Fugu.
Can you post pics please?

Registered
Can you post pics please?
kanjihanzidaywheel.jpeg

Just due photo credit to:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, just received my 7548, very happy ! Size is ok, put a black nato on it, will take a beige one I think, Got it for 325.
Here are some pics !

And with the family ! (some are missing)

Thanks for the help !

Registered
It's not hard to swap out a modern diver with a Kanji day wheel, date wheels, on the other hand, can be kind of tricky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts