WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
thank you for looking at my post. For many years, I had a watch that produced by a company that I worked for and now that watch is faulty and thus I innocently started looking for a new watch. Thus I came across this forum. I ended up purchasing a Citizen eco-drive with a perpetual calendar. I am very happy with it but then I came across this concept of 'beater'... it very much intrigued me. Thus I purchased a Seiko Titanium quartz specifically for that purpose. After browsing this site however, I realised that most people deal with automatic mechanical watches... and find myself very much intrigued once more. This issue is however, that there are so many watch manufacturers and models. The slope is slippery and rather than get loads of watches, I would rather have a small awesome set that I can wear regularly, as I feel if continue as I am, I will need to see a specialized therapist and a bank manager . I am not really deserving of an Omega or such level of watch manufacturers until I am considerably older but am interested in something like an SKX007 or something in similar price range. I want to get the best for my money but I also want one that is reliable and not so common. I humbly ask for your expert advise... pictures of watches would be great.
Thank you for your time
alphaCentauri

·
Registered
800 Posts
I take it that you are looking for an uncommon, entry level, automatic watch that won't break the bank. Try Orient. They have there own forum here - there are a ton of owners and the brand in very highly regarded and reasonably priced. The Mako is a very popular model.

Blue Mako

Orange Mako

Semi Skeleton

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike,
thank you for the link. I do love the watch, its just that I see it so often and would like something more unique. Will get one at some point thou. Thanks

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Mike,
thank you for the link. I do love the watch, its just that I see it so often and would like something more unique. Will get one at some point thou. Thanks
Welcome to the forum! Just remember that what is common here will likely never be spotted "in the wild". If you like the 007 then get one. I have yet to see someone else wearing one here.

·
Traser, Aquadive, & Dive Watch Forum Moderator
6,353 Posts
Skx007

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thank you, it looks amazing. Is there a preferred site on the net that people here shop at?
Are you asking for a site for watches in general, because there are many, or for Orient watches in particular??

I know Orients are sold on Amazon, but many prefer to but through Orient directly. I dont have any Orients myself - you would be better off asking the guys in the Orient forum about the best way to go about buying these watches. They will hook you up with the correct site. I think Orient may also use some type of coupon offer to save you money on a purchase, but I'm not sure.

The model with the orange bezel is the Planet Orient.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
If you're in the US, you can frequently get the best price on the Orient USA website thanks to a 50% off coupon code (watchuseek50).

It appears that you're looking for a diver. Depending on your budget, it's worth taking a look at Orient's M-Force Diver, though I'd say you need at least 7" wrists to pull off the size. Also, you may wish to post on the diver watch forum. They'll have a TON of recommendations for any price range.

That said, I would not limit yourself to looking at just divers. It's pretty easy to find a watch with a screw down crown and rated to 100M in almost any catagory, which should be suitable for swimming if not diving

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Another good site for Orient is justcalculators.com
cottontop

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
It is my opinion as a Japanese watch collector that Orient makes the best entry level movements as compared to Seiko and Citizen/Miyota. I pick Citizen and Seiko when I want to spend more money, but on the low end, it has been my experience personally and reading others that the Orient movements are both more reliable and accurate, and they have a lot more non-diver variety on the low end also.

Nothing wrong with the Seiko 5 and its 7S progeny of course, but having had both, I feel like the Orient was a better deal all around.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
It is my opinion as a Japanese watch collector that Orient makes the best entry level movements as compared to Seiko and Citizen/Miyota. I pick Citizen and Seiko when I want to spend more money, but on the low end, it has been my experience personally and reading others that the Orient movements are both more reliable and accurate, and they have a lot more non-diver variety on the low end also.

Nothing wrong with the Seiko 5 and its 7S progeny of course, but having had both, I feel like the Orient was a better deal all around.
Yup. Awesome watches and movements, with most of the lower priced ones having mediocre bracelets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts