WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I noticed the watch was feeling strange.
I went to the watchmaker for a check up.
The watchmaker told me that the rotor is broken.
He advised me to replace the rotor with a standard one without Tudor name engraved.
Or the second option is to replace the whole movement with another same Original one.

Considering just replace the rotor would costs me 250 euro approx. and replacing the movement will be approx 700 euro.
Is the watch worth the replacement?
Or should I just replace the rotor and wear it...:think:

Thank you.

The watch is a Tudor Prince Oysterdate Jumbo ref. 90800.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The rotor is like a flywheel and is attached to the movement self winding mechanism with a single screw. So, just replacing the rotor, if nothing else is in need of attention is a very simple job for a watch repair person. Because the movement is one that has parts availability, if you want to just have the rotor replaced on a generic basis, there's no harm, but 250 Euro is a lot to ask for that kind of swap, unless there is more involved with the movement.

I would recommend a second opinion from a different watch repair person.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the advise.

I am going to retrieve the watch tomorrow without any repair / service.

I think it was okay to have to rotor replaced, but with a non Tudor one doesn't seem to feel right to me even it is hidden behind a caseback.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had a sticky rotor on one of my tudors and was advised the bearings had gone and needed replacing.
this no doubt would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole rotor.you might struggle anyway to get an original replacement and personally i would not want to put an un engraved one in its place.
try another repairer as to replace the bearings would not be that expensive but i would get it done as part of a service.also on an older watch always try to steer clear from any replacement parts such as hands,dials etc as original is always more desireable.
Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts