WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to be very honest, i really need advise on my first "nice" watch. after deliberating long and hard i've decided to go with Omega. now the tough part is selecting the model, which is inevitably driven by my budget. my choices are: Speedy Pro Moonwatch (5oth anniversary), Speedy Pro Day & Date, Seamaster Aqua Terra (for the co-axial movement) and lastly the Seamaster Planet Ocean (not the chrono. too expensive already).

i guess the main aspect i'm looking for is durability (meaning does not require frequent servicing) and practicality (as much as i like the Moonwatch, the fact that it's manually wound might get to be a hassle). i left aesthetics out because they're all gorgeous timepieces :-!

help!!! :-s

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
The AT and the Moonwatch are two of my favourite watches. They are both magnificent. However, as pretty well everyone on the forum will agree, the Moonwatch is the hands down obvious choice.

Why?

Oh go on then.

1) the design is over fifty years old and it's been in constant production all that time. I'd call that a sign that they got something right.

2) it's been to the moon.

3) It is capable of equal accuracy to the AT. I have both, I can't adjust the AT, I'd break it. Any fool with the right tools can get a healthy Speedy onto +/- naff all.

4) It is robust (read up about how hard Nasa tried to break it) and very very long lived. Search the bay, there are pree moon versions everywhere.

5) After a month of ownership it's more like a pet than a watch. It has that much character.

6) I know people who regret buying pretty well any watch. I know of no one who regrets buying a Speedmaster Pro.

7) Everyone worries about winding the pro - until they buy one. You spend a fortune on a watch you want the pleasure of interaction. Believe me, it is a pleasure to wind and the interaction is a lovely little ritual. If you want effort free then an AT quartz is a fine fine watch - and half the price.

8) they are easy to repair, spares are plentiful and watchmakers like working on them.

9) You really can wear them in any situation and they fit in.

10) Like many great tools they are easy to pick up but take a bit of skill and practice to use properly. Once you can glance at a speedy and get all the information it has to offer in one swoop it is a very rewarding feeling and bloody useful in more 'interesting' situations. As for the Tachymeter...

That enough?

*Edit* Everything Andres says is correct as well. (apart from the PO bit No one really wants to be a Planet Ocean Owner when you can be a Speedmaster Professional Initiate For Fifty Years.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Welcome G!

The best advice you´ll ever get is to try them on at an AD. You´ll know what to buy when you see them on your wrist.

You should give us a little more information about yourself, likes, dislikes, etc. For example I´m very fond of the way the day date looks but find the case too small for my liking. On the other hand I can´t wear a 45mm PO. So out of your list and since you´re looking for an automatic, my choices would be an AT or a PO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The AT and the Moonwatch are two of my favourite watches. They are both magnificent. However, as pretty well everyone on the forum will agree, the Moonwatch is the hands down obvious choice.

Why?

Oh go on then.

1) the design is over fifty years old and it's been in constant production all that time. I'd call that a sign that they got something right.

3) It is capable of equal accuracy to the AT. I have both, I can't adjust the AT, I'd break it. Any fool with the right tools can get a healthy Speedy onto +/- naff all.

4) It is robust (read up about how hard Nasa tried to break it) and very very long lived. Search the bay, there are pree moon versions everywhere.

5) After a month of ownership it's more like a pet than a watch. It has that much character.

6) I know people who regret buying pretty well any watch. I know of no one who regrets buying a Speedmaster Pro.

7) Everyone worries about winding the pro - until they buy one. You spend a fortune on a watch you want the pleasure of interaction. Believe me, it is a pleasure to wind and the interaction is a lovely little ritual. If you want effort free then an AT quartz is a fine fine watch - and half the price.

8) they are easy to repair, spares are plentiful and watchmakers like working on them.

10) Like many great tools they are easy to pick up but take a bit of skill and practice to use properly. Once you can glance at a speedy and get all the information it has to offer in one swoop it is a very rewarding feeling and bloody useful in more 'interesting' situations. As for the Tachymeter...

That enough?
+1 :-!, just in addition I touched the Speedmaster first, bought the PO, then a week later, I had remorse and bought the basic Speedmaster
ref 35705000 and believe me I enjoy windind it.

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
welcome G!

The Best Advice You´ll Ever Get Is To Try Them On At An Ad. You´ll Know What To Buy When You See Them On Your Wrist.

You Should Give Us A Little More Information About Yourself, Likes, Dislikes, Etc.
+1 |>

~jb

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If the Speedy Pro is on your list, it will scream the loudest at you until you acquire it. Trust us.

You mentioned the 50th Anniversary version, though. That particular limited edition (with the seahorse at the top of the dial) is quite a bit more expensive than the standard version.

As far as practicality, if you wear an automatic watch, you still need to keep it wound. In addition to keeping your arm in motion throughout the day, sometimes you need to wind it manually. That requires unscrewing the scrown in most cases. I would argue it's more convenient and practical to be able to manually wind a watch without unscrewing the crown and without making sure to keep it moving all day long as with automatics.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
As far as practicality, if you wear an automatic watch, you still need to keep it wound. In addition to keeping your arm in motion throughout the day, sometimes you need to wind it manually. That requires unscrewing the scrown in most cases. I would argue it's more convenient and practical to be able to manually wind a watch without unscrewing the crown and without making sure to keep it moving all day long as with automatics.
Same here. When I wear automatic watches, I always end up with winding manually since I'm not sure my wrist movement is good enough to get the rotor going.

Speedy, PO and AT are all fine watches. You cannot go wrong with them. It's all up to your taste. Just try them on your local AD and see how you feel about them.

- Hiro

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Why?

Oh go on then.

That enough?

*Edit* Everything Andres says is correct as well. (apart from the PO bit No one really wants to be a Planet Ocean Owner when you can be a Speedmaster Professional Initiate For Fifty Years.
Well said Matt.
The Speedmaster Professional is a great choice for your first "nice" watch, and is the perfect foundation for any future collection.

- Jake

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I never wind an auto. They don't require much movement to keep going.
Everybody loves their Speedy Pro. I don't mind winding it( but don't wear it all that much). Can't see getting the 50th Anniversary model for daily wear myself. The New AT is gorgeous. Really. PO is a thick sucker, see if you like that first, doesn't live well under a cuff in my opinion. Day/date? As appealing as they sound, you may run the risk of feeling like you bought a compromise(kinda busy for my taste).

Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dear all,

thanks for the great advise. Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch it is then. it's actually my girlfriend's choice for me too :)

what do you guys think though - the standard Moonwatch or the 50th Anniversary edition? i know the latter is more expensive but i figure i might as well get a limited edition for a first watch.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Planet Ocean....

It's a rugged watch. It doesn't sound like you need a chrono or a GMT function, why not simplify? Get a dive watch. A PO would be nice or a Bond Seamaster. Either would serve you well.

Frank

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
dear all,

thanks for the great advise. Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch it is then. it's actually my girlfriend's choice for me too :)

what do you guys think though - the standard Moonwatch or the 50th Anniversary edition? i know the latter is more expensive but i figure i might as well get a limited edition for a first watch.
I would go with the standard Moonwatch. It has the Lemania based 1873 movement.

- Jake

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
dear all,

I would go with the standard Moonwatch without a doubt. It´s a classic that will never go out of style.
Omega releases one limited edition Speedmaster every year so they are not really that special or limited.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

- Jake
The 50th anniversary "Patch" Speedy houses the same movement as the standard Moonwatch- Omega caliber 1861-.
Only the more limited editions (the one with the tool box and the gold ones) have Piguet based movements.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The 50th anniversary "Patch" Speedy houses the same movement as the standard Moonwatch- Omega caliber 1861-.
Only the more limited editions (the one with the tool box and the gold ones) have Piguet based movements.
I did not know that. :think: I'm not really attracted to the looks of the "Patch" version, so I didn't pay attention to the details. I mistakenly assumed all the 50th models had the Piguet based movement.
I learn new stuff on this forum everyday!

- Jake

·
Registered
9,532 Posts

- Jake
Just to quickly clarify a couple of things, here. Jake, I think you were more correct that you think. The Omega c.186x used in the Pro and the Hippo 50th is based on the Lemania 1873. Andres, you're correct that the other 50th models are powered by Piguet-based movements (Omega c.3201).

To the OP: Speedy is a great choice. Personally, I'd go for the standard Pro. I prefer the hesalite crystal over the 50th's sapphire, and the simpler, classic look of the plain ol' Pro. It's a fair amount less expensive, too.

eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
which one is better - the stainless steel case back or the transparent case back? the latter has the sapphire crystal not the hesalite.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree..
I tossed up going for the Speedy for my first Swiss watch purchase, but then I laid eyes on the Seamaster and I was hooked...

Each to their own, but youll only know for certain when you put it on your wrist!
GOOD LUCK!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts