WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So i got that vintage Longines Conquest (looks like Conquest to me but maybe not) and i am wondering what is the best option to clean up the dial and replace/refinish the hands and hour markers to gold. I dont really have much experience with the vintage watches and would really appreciate some advice and suggestion.

I know i can probabaly sent it over to Longines but i am trying to avoid the $$$$$ cost and 6 month wait.

Thank you very much in advance.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
From my personnel experience with watch re-dial. DON'T DO IT, unless the dial is completely trashed. Yours looks in good shape. They rarely come out looking like the original.

If you do want to re-do the dial. I suggest you find a dial house in Europe, you will pay more but it's worth it. Great Britain has an excellent one.

I got a Fortis done in the US and the place was terrible. The work, their customer service, everything about it was a disaster. I had to threaten to sue them just to get my own dial back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It actually not that bad with the exeption of hands being dirty. I do like the look of the gold on vintage watches....i guess just my taste lol the bling

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It actually not that bad with the exeption of hands being dirty. I do like the look of the gold on vintage watches....i guess just my taste lol the bling
Sell it and get one in gold. :)

PC025299.jpg
Here is one I got that has passed the threshold and is in need of a redail and new hands.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most any watchmaker can change out the hands and markers. That's not a real big deal if it's your preference as long as you keep the original stuff so it can be switched back later. A good watchmaker could lightly clean the rest which would make it look better but if you completely refinish it, you would be doing so because that's what you like and plan on keeping it as it would diminish the value.

The watch looks great as is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts