WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently Aquired an Aegis Weather Watch and was trying to find more information about it,I have done some research but this quote is the only thing I found

In the early 90s a company called Damark sold items through a catalog. They sold several watches under the Aegis brand. These Aegis watches were actually Casio watches with slight exterior changes to make them Aegis specific.

This quote and a few pictures of a box and manual from one of their watches. I was wondering if anybody knew any more on the backstory of this collaboration, or any numbers on how many were produced? I find this all very interesting, seems strange to go through all the trouble of removing the branding from the bezel insert, watchband buckle and exterior modifications for no special reason.

Here is the Casio BM-500W Weather Station

Here is the Aegis Weather Watch

It's all Casio Inside

They even removed Casio stamping from the buckle

Japan ink stamp on band

Picture of box and manual from another Aegis watch that shows some of the other Casio models that were rebranded

After some serious problems with getting the watch to awaken I got it all sorted out and running. I actually prefer the Aegis style over the Casio one, the chromed bezel looks much nicer to me, this one is definitely a keeper

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
It would be pretty easy to make a rebadged Casio like that. It's not so much a case of removing all the Casio branding from the watch, more a case of just licensing the design from Casio, then using the existing basic components (such as the module which is the most important part here) and then just producing your own branded case and buckle for casing it up. This kind of rebadging happens all the time. Look at how many Debaufre, Steinhart and Revue Thommen models were pretty much made from the same Grovana template and then just finished off with their respective branded dials, crowns, rotor decorations etc.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think Aegis produces anything watch related, except maybe the design. I wasn't able to find any info on them at all, it seems that the whole watch would have been produced entirely in house by Casio which I think is a bit strange

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I don't think Aegis produces anything watch related, except maybe the design. I wasn't able to find any info on them at all, it seems that the whole watch would have been produced entirely in house by Casio which I think is a bit strange
Not so strange... look at the Fossil Group. They produce multiple identical watches under multiple different brands. The only differences are finishes and branding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts