WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm hoping someone could guide me to the right watch based on the following criteria.

Most important:
- $300 approx
- 36mm or smaller
- 100m or greater WR
- quartz (with EOL indicator) or mechanical
- good lume
- relatively thin ( let's say under 14mm)
- Field Watch-esque (solid bezel, 3 hand with or without date)

Less Important:
- no 24hr scale on dial, don't care about Arabics vs indices
- comes on either a NATO or equivalent strap
- 3:00 crown
- don't care one bit about brand, can be anything from an AliExpress special to a Hamilton

Honestly, what I'm looking for is pretty much a modern take on the Rolex Explorer. Small, durable, and simple. However I don't need the 3-6-9 dial or Mercedes hands, they just seem to come with the territory.

My ideal pick would be the Smith's Everest in 36mm but that's slightly out of my price range, and I'm really not a fan of metal bracelets here in sunny Florida. They usually require re-sizing every time you go from indoors to outdoors and back again, and get hot and sweaty very quick.

My runner up is the Tiger Concept 1016p, which looks pretty much perfect besides the suspect water resist. As mentioned above, I live in Florida so I would need this piece to be able to handle trips to the beach and pool with some regularity.

Third choice is the Timefactors Precista PRS-10. Love everything about this one other than the lug shape. It's a bit truncated (I know its historically accurate, I just like the mix of utility and elegance in the Explorer case shape)

As mentioned above, my search has turned up some good results, but I know the experts here on the forum will be able to point out a multitude of options I haven't even heard of! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
PS. Timefactors should be coming out with an updated Everest (36mm) later this year. Different bracelet, minutely different hand lengths and a no-Date 9039 movement rather than the current 9015. My point is that you might expect some first round buyers to flip those ones and buy the new one... so you might get a good deal that brings it into range for you. Plus putting the watch on a different strap is trivial... it’s not stuck on the bracelet, so you can go rubber, NATO, whatever. Cheers

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
You could go for the Tiger and have a watchmaker verify the water resistance. Also, you can ask around in the Tiger thread to see if people there have taken the watch in the water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this might be close...

Three colour options

https://www.filson.com/accessories/watches.html

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I love the crown on this one with that copper color. WR and price are also on point. They don't say what kind of quartz movement is inside. I'd imagine that means it's some kind of miyota.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
They don't say what kind of quartz movement is inside. I'd imagine that means it's some kind of miyota.
Earlier Filson Mackinaw models were made by Shinola and were using “Argonite-715 Swiss quartz movement”... with EOL technology.

It was mentioned on Caliber Corner that ... “Argonite is what Shinola calls the Ronda movements they use. Ronda actually owns part of Shinola.”

I am not an expert on either brand or if the Filson watch manufacturing is still being done by Shinola... but Wikipedia says of Filson... “as of 2012 the brand is owned by Bedrock Manufacturing founder Tom Kartsotis, who also owns Shinola Detroit.”

Given all the above I’d lean more towards a Swiss Ronda quartz movement?

Ps. Under the Care for your watch section of those 36mm models it links to a PDF that references Shinola ( and EOL )...

I emailed them... will let you know what they say

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd suggest looking into vintage pieces, like a Hamilton or Benrus. There are some really interesting pieces out there for well within your price range. From the sound of it you're basically looking for a smaller version of the Hamilton Field Mechanical, one of my favorite watches, that clocks in at 38mm. The vintage ones are between 29mm and 36mm IIRC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Earlier Filson Mackinaw models were made by Shinola and were using “Argonite-715 Swiss quartz movement”... with EOL technology.

It was mentioned on Caliber Corner that ... “Argonite is what Shinola calls the Ronda movements they use. Ronda actually owns part of Shinola.”

I am not an expert on either brand or if the Filson watch manufacturing is still being done by Shinola... but Wikipedia says of Filson... “as of 2012 the brand is owned by Bedrock Manufacturing founder Tom Kartsotis, who also owns Shinola Detroit.”

Given all the above I’d lean more towards a Swiss Ronda quartz movement?

Ps. Under the Care for your watch section of those 36mm models it links to a PDF that references Shinola ( and EOL )...

I emailed them... will let you know what they say
Wow, that's some impressive sleuthing! I had made my earlier assumption based on the notion that they'd be flaunting a "Swiss Movement" if they were using a Rhonda. However in light of the connections you indicated, I would be very surprised if they weren't using a similar movement to some of the earlier Filson field watches.

All things considered, I think this watch is my #1 pick for a GADA piece. Nice compact size, 100m water resist that I can trust, quartz so it's grab and go and more resistant to shock/magnets.

I do love the Everest, and I'll be waiting for the updated version later this year. The white dial variant looks very nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd suggest looking into vintage pieces, like a Hamilton or Benrus. There are some really interesting pieces out there for well within your price range. From the sound of it you're basically looking for a smaller version of the Hamilton Field Mechanical, one of my favorite watches, that clocks in at 38mm. The vintage ones are between 29mm and 36mm IIRC.
Wow, checking out the 'bay I see a lot of Benrus and Hamilton's that look pretty awesome. I've been "gifted" with a very vintage-sized 6" wrist, hence why I'm seeking out a 36mm watch. I've found that even 40mm sport watches look a little bigger than I'd like.

However, do you think I could trust the water resistance numbers of these vintage pieces? I've got a great local watchmaker who could probably replace some of the gaskets if they're available. Also I'd imagine the lume has long since given up the proverbial ghost.

·
Registered
654 Posts
However, do you think I could trust the water resistance numbers of these vintage pieces? I've got a great local watchmaker who could probably replace some of the gaskets if they're available. Also I'd imagine the lume has long since given up the proverbial ghost.

I wouldn't trust the WR of vintage watches even if you replace the gaskets. I'll recommend you get a modern watch if it's that important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gotta agree with ArtKing here. Even if your repairman replaces the stem and rear seals, WR is vulnerable via the crystal.

That said, depending on your profession and daily habits, you might never run into trouble. Do you jump in pools often? If not, and the opportunity presents itself, I recommend handing your watch off to the prettiest girl in your general vicinity and going about your business.

If you're like me and think about what's on your wrist more than once per day, just be a little more careful with it. These things were built to go through some s***, and though their capabilities are clearly compromised by age, rainfall and handwashing shouldn't affect them.

Side note: consider yourself blessed by your 'vintage' wrist size. Vintage watches are an absolute joy to collect and wear! Imagine if you had bulbous mongoloid wrists and DIDN'T have a size limit...you could spend your entire life looking for the 'perfect' watch :)

Enjoy the hunt! I've personally been into my vintage Omegas lately. All under 37mm in diameter, lovely, unique (never seen another dude wearing one), and many beautiful examples can be had for under $500.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OR you could just pick up one of these. I bought mine secondhand for $195 on this wonderful forum. 100m WR, handwound, drilled lugs, sapphire crystal, perfect for what it is. Try one on before you say it's too big!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Honestly, I do consider myself lucky to have svelte wrists, current watch trends nonwithstanding.
Actually all my watch purchasing habits up until now have been on the larger size because I'm a fan of rugged, utilitarian tool watches. Consequently I've owned a mix of divers and G-Shocks. However after really evaluating my style, I feel they look a bit overbearing on my 5'11" 145 lb frame.

As for my requirement of water resistance, many of my weekend activities are outdoors and involve the beach or hiking. Also, I'm the proud parent of a 10 month old son, so unexpected contact with water or other less pleasant liquids is a daily occurrence.

Essentially, I'm looking for the mythical "Go anywhere do anything" watch.
Obviously that involves accepting some compromises but I thought that the original explorer 1016 or a field watch kind of encapsuled the spirit of what I'm looking for.

I think the Explorer 1 specifically is a truly unique specimen in that it looks equally at home in the office as it does in the great outdoors.

So far it looks like my picks are:

1) Filson 36mm Field
+ a little more rugged than classy, but the fit and finish does look impecable
+ screw down crown and 100m WR
+ unique, not a homage to anything specific
- a bit expensive for a simple quartz and no grey market availability so it's full MSRP only

2) Smith's Everest
+ a bit of a stretch for my budget if buying new, but it does get the closest to what I'm looking for
+ Sapphire crystal and hi beat movement
- comes with an admittedly quality bracelet that I would probably not be using ( a bit of a waste tbh)

3) Hamilton Khaki
+ Lots of heritage and history
+ Swiss made
- significantly more military-inspired for obvious reasons
- not a fan of 24hr scale or date but not deal breaker
- no 36mm option

4) Tiger concept 1016p
+ cheap as heck and you can buy just the watch head
+ So close to 1016 explorer it's almost a knockoff
- Plexi crystal is cool, but it does mean I'd have to keep a tube of polywatch handy.
- water resist is only rated at 50m and even that is not guaranteed

The Glycene Combat and the various vintage options are indeed awesome, but not quite rugged enough for a true outdoors watch.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! For reference here's a pic of a sub homage and a Seiko solar tuna on my wrist. I know, I look like I'm part lycanthrope, but that's just part of being Italian!

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Momentum Flatline Micro. 100WR, screw down crown. Optional sapphire crystal; available cheaper on straps, bracelet at a premium. Two dial styles, black with lume numbers and red highlights, or lume dial, black numbers, blue highlights.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts