WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I have had a growing interest for watches during the winter and are looking into buying my first automatic, believe Seiko would be a good choice. Guess most people at this forum would agree on that.
The watch I’m looking for is a casual/sporty type, diver or chronograph, prefer black, and they will probably end up on a Nato or rubber band. If chronograph I prefer a not so “busy" dial. Plan to use it for outdoor activities during weekends/vacation.
Budget is up to usd 200,-. Wrist size is close to 7 inches, off course want it to be comfortable to wear so not to big. The “heaviest” watch I have had is my Omega Aqua Terra, which I wear for work.
On the internet I have been looking at SKX007, thinking it might be slightly big.
I know it is a open question, but appreciate suggestions, im sure there are models that I have not been looking at. Open for other makes also
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards

·
Registered
3,757 Posts

·
2,104 Posts
Well you cant go wrong with either a Monster or an SKX007. As far as size goes the SKX will probably wear a little larger but I would definetly not consider it a huge watch. Even less so since you intend to wear it on rubber or nylon. I say go for the SKX007 as it has a more traditional look. Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

Ren

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi !

I have had a growing interest for watches during the winter and are looking into buying my first automatic, believe Seiko would be a good choice. Guess most people at this forum would agree on that.
The watch I’m looking for is a casual/sporty type, diver or chronograph, prefer black, and they will probably end up on a Nato or rubber band. If chronograph I prefer a not so “busy" dial. Plan to use it for outdoor activities during weekends/vacation.
Budget is up to usd 200,-. Wrist size is close to 7 inches, off course want it to be comfortable to wear so not to big. The “heaviest” watch I have had is my Omega Aqua Terra, which I wear for work.
On the internet I have been looking at SKX007, thinking it might be slightly big.
I know it is a open question, but appreciate suggestions, im sure there are models that I have not been looking at. Open for other makes also
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards
SKX007 is the go. I've never personally like the aesthetics of the Monsters, but each to his own.

Don't worry about the 007 being too big on your wrist. I have a 6.5 wrist, and my 009 looks great on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love my Orange Monster, and it's not too big on even my just under 6" wrists. It's a nice modern take on the diver, and Seiko hit a home run with it. The orange compliment my blue dress shirts perfectly.

SKX007/009 are also good choices. I hope to have all three one day :)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
As far as size goes the SKX will probably wear a little larger but I would definetly not consider it a huge watch. Even less so since you intend to wear it on rubber or nylon.
When you mention the SKX, are you referring to the Monster or the SKX007 (both have the SKX prefix)?

I gotta say, the Monster wears a good bit larger then the 007, which is in large part due to it's styling.

I think either choice would be a good one for the OP. It basically just boils down to aesthetics, which is really quite subjective.

For what it's worth my vote goes to the Monster based on lume, the incredible bracelet (even if the OP doesn't intend to use it right away), and of course it's distinct styling. It's all Seiko, all the way.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
The skx007 is not big by today's diver standards at all. If anything I think it's small. It does wear kind of tall though...imo it wore taller than my monster. They both will wear much taller than your AT.

I think any of the SKX's would be a wise economical choice. Have at look at chronograph.com and do some comparison shopping to see which one you like best. Otherwise I go with the monster as well if you want to cut to the chase :)

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
The OP indicated he would entertain other brands - having just purchased by first Orient, I would suggest the Mako. It's classy for a diver and VERY hard to beat for the price (they are available at 50% off for those in the US).

My preference is for Orange - but these are available in many colours.

I love my Monster as well - it's my go to watch on the weekends. But the Mako is in the weekly rotation with much more expensive/dressier watches.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Monster...black,orange either way its a no brainer.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here's another thought. What size Aqua Terra do you wear? If you wear the smaller one (36mm, I think) you might like the smaller (40mm) Seiko SKX031. It has the same 7S26 movement but is a bit smaller and thinner than the SKX007 and the crown is also at 3 instead of at 4. It's also rated for 100 meters instead of 200 but is a great choice if you prefer a smaller/lighter watch.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi !

Thanks people. Many good suggestions, not sure it got any easiere :)

My first thoughts was the SKX007, like the looks of it. Kind of "clean", that said i also like the Seiko5 Militray, even it is a different style. I also have to investigate the SKX031. My Aqua Terra is 38/39 mm.

The Orient was also a good suggestion, not sure if it is official sold in Norway anymore. Seen it for sale at some local internet shops. It is always fun to have something different

Guess we all se where this is heading....Me ending up buying more than one watch

One thing a notice, all watches have both day & date, are there any with just date ?

Thanks again for suggestions. I have to find my way out to a dealer and try some on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like the SKX 03X types for office wear because they wear a bit smaller - a bit harder to accidentally clunk on the office furniture, they fit under a cuff well too. One of my favorite all round watches. It wears a lot like a Mako. Mako is a great watch too. And accurate to boot.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally I came across a SKX031 on a watch forum here in Norway, picked it up today, and wearing it while I write. Think it is a good size for me, feels good on the wrist. As other people has posted, bracelet is not up to the rest of the watch. I will probably “upgrade” to a different bracelet at a later stage. Now I will enjoy my new (for me) watch, and my vacation which start tomorrow.
Thanks for suggestions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts