WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Given criticism of these types of posts, I’m going to be straight up where I’m coming from. I caught the Speedy bug, but I’m not buying a Speedy anytime soon. Then I came across the Sinn 356, which is definitely in the realm of possibility if a pre-owned version comes up for sale at the right price.

Is there something similar in this style that can readily be had for under $1000? (Obviously quartz is fine)

And by style:
- all black dial, including black subdials. (No pandas)
- toolish - brushing on the case and no polished applied indices (rules out a lot of Citizen)
- has a bracelet
- has a high contrast, legible black and white dial (the less additional color the better)
- under 42mm (so ruling out the Bulova moonwatch)

Not necessarily looking for a clear speedy homage (I don’t care at all if it has a tachymeter)

This is really to help me hopefully not spend more than I have to. If I don’t love the options here, then I’ll likely commit to trap the Sinn whenever the opportunity presents itself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check out the Seiko SSB031. It’s certainly not a Speedy homage but seems to be a popular affordable alternative. It’s got a lot of the same sporty elements with all black dial, 3-6-9 layout, tachymeter, sporty hands with plenty of lume, and 100M WR. It’s a mecha quartz, 40MM, and also well under budget at less than $150.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Seiko is nice, but I don’t like the color on the bezel.

The Dan Henry is the best thing I’ve seen in this price range. It checks all my boxes, but doesn’t do it for me as much.

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
By all black, do you mean case and bracelet as well? Or just black dial?

Not quite clear based on the wording, esp since the Dan Henry 1972 and Bulova Moonwatch both come in all black versions.

Gavox Squadron? Example below is all black but they have silver as well. More like the Sinn 103 than the 356.

https://www.gavox.com/product/gavox-squadron-black-pvd/

Their photo:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Citizen CA0620 might be at the upper end of your size limit at 42mm, but looks similar to the Sinn, and is just $115 at Joma.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Here to bore you to tears are a selection of mine, that may or may not strike a chord with you. ;-)

The Pulsar Watches are a Cheap as Chips, all of mine I got Second-Hand, requiring various levels of cleaning, refurbishment, new straps, batteries and the like, but all very very cheap.

Then there is the Bulova, which has the same movement as the Lunar Pilot in a slightly smaller Diver Style case, I got it from the US and think it may be out of production now, but you can find them on the Fleabay and the like.

The Seiko is another out of production one, but is part of the SSB series with the Mecha-Quartz movement, that one of the Pulsars has too, but the Pulsar S/H cost me nothing in comparison to the Seiko, if you get my drift, but then the Seiko is a higher standard watch, for what my opinion is worth. (Clue, my opinion is normally not worth writing home about :-s)

Now the Rotary, which IMHO is one of the better Speedy Clones, with a ETA movement. You can get a Black Dial version, but you will have to shop around a bit, but you can get it for under £100 no problemo, if you look hard enough, and long enough.

Finally, please excuse me but I have to say this, but have you tried a Lunar Pilot on? Of the bunch, I give that one the "Mutts Nuts" Award! |>

If I had to or could only keep One, that would be it! Personally, sad person that I am, I would keep that rather than a Speedy!

Watch Product Watch accessory Analog watch Silver

This is my reason why!

Like I said, I probably need help. Yes it is a Big Watch, but it has a presence! |>

Best regards,
Jim
Stay Safe; Stay Well :-!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Flightmaster? (Seiko SNA411)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I second the Dan Henry suggestion. Also look at Dryden. They have an all-black chrono, but not on a bracelet. I have this Raymond Weil that meets meets most of the OP's criteria, except it has gold rings around a couple subdials. The quality, including the bracelet and clasp are very nice for about half the price of the Sinn.

Watch Watch accessory Metal Iron Silver

·
Registered
916 Posts
Something a little different but should be in spec. Will be hard to find, I have the white dial and love it. SAGJ001

I know you said doesn't have to be too much of a Speedy, but this Citizen AN0880-57E is a looker IMO. One currently up for grabs on Yahoo Japan auctions.

Or if it's new watches only, a CA7040-85E.

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Photograph

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hamilton H32586181, but would be ~10% over your budget at ~$1100.
Lot of other subdial variations in the Jazzmaster line for around the same price point.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was expecting to not like Citizens, but the Citizens here are the best options (the Citizen speedy is tempting...and the CA7040 is a beauty).

Lots of other interesting options, but most have too much color on the dial. One of the things I really like about both the SMP and the Sinn is that they're *really* sparing on color. Basically just black and white. The blue hand on the DH 1972 bugs me, and so does the bronzed indices on the Helgray. If that Helgray was just in B&W, I'd buy it right now. I think it hits a lot of the design elements I'm looking for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts