WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning a couple of Orient Star watches that came with lovely, sturdy, bridle leather straps, with that mesmerizingly pleasant smell that put me into a frenzy similar to what my cats experience when they sniff on catnip - I wish to know if there are any makers out there making these straps at an affordable price. By affordable I'm thinking ~50$ or so, give/take a bit.

There's a huge market for straps nowadays, and you can actually find pretty good quality genuine alligator straps for example from Vietnam or other Asian countries, at prices that are a mere fraction of what it costs elsewhere, but I have not seen not even 1 genuine (thick) bridle leather strap under 100$ Is it that expensive to make or this type of leather so hard to manufacture, or why has it not become more mainstream with strap makers? :think:

If you want to see what the Somes leather straps that my Orients came with look like, check here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Som...UICygC&biw=1280&bih=894#imgrc=TsRQ75r28m53sM:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Have you check out amazon?

Men's 22mm Regular Tan Matte Bridle Leather Watch Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQIAMO6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_VH6MzbSJAC455

Best regards,

After owning a couple of Orient Star watches that came with lovely, sturdy, bridle leather straps, with that mesmerizingly pleasant smell that put me into a frenzy similar to what my cats experience when they sniff on catnip - I wish to know if there are any makers out there making these straps at an affordable price. By affordable I'm thinking ~50$ or so, give/take a bit.

There's a huge market for straps nowadays, and you can actually find pretty good quality genuine alligator straps for example from Vietnam or other Asian countries, at prices that are a mere fraction of what it costs elsewhere, but I have not seen not even 1 genuine (thick) bridle leather strap under 100$ Is it that expensive to make or this type of leather so hard to manufacture, or why has it not become more mainstream with strap makers?

If you want to see what the Somes leather straps that my Orients came with look like, check here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Som...UICygC&biw=1280&bih=894#imgrc=TsRQ75r28m53sM:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Take a look at the Hirsch liberty. It's a single thick ply of leather. The smell of the leather reminds me of a bridal leather.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you check out amazon?

Men's 22mm Regular Tan Matte Bridle Leather Watch Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQIAMO6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_VH6MzbSJAC455

Best regards,
Thanks for replying but that definitely does not look like proper thick bridle leather. Also, I didn't specify, but I am looking rather for an un-stitched piece of leather.

Take a look at the Hirsch liberty. It's a single thick ply of leather. The smell of the leather reminds me of a bridal leather.
Hirsch Liberty are fine straps indeed, but its stitched. I definitely want something unstitched. And also, if you look carefully, the Hirsch Liberty (I had/have a few) it NOT 1 single ply, its a piece sanwiched onto itself, so 2-ply. Guess if they didn't stitch it, it would fall apart sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, just curious, what thickness do you looking?

cheers,

a leather strap maker from GMT +7
Hi Raditya

Well, the strap which I intend to replace is about 4mm thick, so not too thick, 4-5mm range.

The Somes straps I gave as example above are quite a bit thicker, I don't have one now on hand to check but probably more for sure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
IIRC steveostraps did have bridle leather available (made to measure and around the $50 plus buckle & shipping from the UK).

Might be worth having a look at the website and/or dropping him an email saying with what you're after - he has made various custom straps for me and has been very helpful

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Raditya

Well, the strap which I intend to replace is about 4mm thick, so not too thick, 4-5mm range.

The Somes straps I gave as example above are quite a bit thicker, I don't have one now on hand to check but probably more for sure.
i'm quite interested,

so, are you looking for single cut, thick bridle leather?

cheers,

a leather strap maker from GMT +7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts