WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I really like the look of the Corum Bubble watch, specifically the skeleton version:
DSCN1079.jpg
I've been trying to find an affordable homage, or at least a similar looking watch (I really like the domed crystal) for a while now.
The only luck I have had is on these forums I found a thread about a Tao International Bubble watch:
323825d1285121945-quest-best-mechanical-watch-under-$100-whats-your-vote-tao_bubble-04.jpg
I can't seem to find one anywhere, I'm guessing it was only made in 2009.
I may even like the look of the homage better than the original!

Does anyone know of any alternatives with a similar style or where I can find the Tao Bubble?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
40,370 Posts
Never seen either of those before. Really interesting style, but I doubt there are many watches with a similar style.
Your best bet is probably to keep an eye out on ebay, and maybe post a WTB in the sales forum. You never know if someone might have one laying around that they wouldn't mind selling to you. Got to be worth a shot!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Akribos AK445BK has a similar style. Sorry for no pics, but I'm at work & for some weird reason the firewall allows me to visit WUS, but I can't save/post pictures from the interwebz. You can find it on Google image serach, though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a pretty cool looking watch, and I hadn't seen it before.
The hands are similar, but what I'm looking for more is the unique "bubble" crystal over a skeleton movement.
Thanks though, and nice watch!

My Akribos AK445BK has a similar style. Sorry for no pics, but I'm at work & for some weird reason the firewall allows me to visit WUS, but I can't save/post pictures from the interwebz. You can find it on Google image serach, though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I texted myself a picture of the Akribos so you can see the extent to which the crystal is domed. Where there's a will there's a way. :)
akribos bubble.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, okay, that's pretty cool.
I'll have to price around on that.
Not quite like the others, but a nice dome.
The only pictures I could find online were face on, and it looked like a flat crystal.

Thanks for the info!

I texted myself a picture of the Akribos so you can see the extent to which the crystal is domed. Where there's a will there's a way. :)
View attachment 1088324

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you are only interested in the bubble crystal there's a dive watch brand in the dive forum that's is making a rolex homage, although Halrbeg is not quite affordable around 1k

And bronze too

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
The TAO looks nice. I have no clue what movement is used in it.

Stuhrling Original also produces watches branded as Akribos and probably a few others.
Stuhrling has produced numerous homages of the Corum Bubble .

Invicta also released their Diver Lupah which is basically a homage of the Corum Bubble but not quite as exacting. Same style but different variations. I dont know if Invicta ever has released a skeleton automatic version of their lupah diver.

Here are a few pics....

This is the first series that Stuhrling released as homage to the Corum Bubble Anniversary model skeleton. They have released quite a few variations on this model. These were released in late 2005 if i remember correctly.

Stuhrling has always produced nice case and dial work but has experienced some problems with the autom movements in the past. The Lexus in particular was not a winner for them initially.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I always liked the Corum Bubble Skeleton as well. I have never seen that Tao International homage before. I rather like it (except for the part where it says 'Tao International' on it). Is the crystal just as domed on the Tao as on the Corum?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far as I can tell, it's a pretty exacting homage.
It has the deeply domed crystal like the Corum.

I'm very picky about numerals on watches...
I don't like them generally, and it they are there I want them all to be there in the same size.
I'll have to poke around Akribos/Stuhrling to see if I find anything.

I always liked the Corum Bubble Skeleton as well. I have never seen that Tao International homage before. I rather like it (except for the part where it says 'Tao International' on it). Is the crystal just as domed on the Tao as on the Corum?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have the tao version. The dome on the crystal is huge. It uses the big plate Chinese standard skeleton movement with a magic lever auto winding system. The watch is still available on tao's web site search uswatchshop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you link me where to buy?
I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

I have the tao version. The dome on the crystal is huge. It uses the big plate Chinese standard skeleton movement with a magic lever auto winding system. The watch is still available on tao's web site search uswatchshop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts