WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Lately, I've been searching for a dive-watch under or around $150, absolute max 200$.

What I'm looking for is a serious water resistance watch that I can take swimming and fooling around at the beach, whenever necessary. I wouldn\t want to service it for like 5-10 years, if possible.
Good lume would be a plus as well. Not too bulky, not too small. 38-42 mm would probably work fine. I'd prefer an automatic, but the EcoDiver from Citizen seems to be a bargain, because you don't have to service it for years to come.
Screwdown crown is a must. I don't care about the strap, I'll replace it eitherway.

So far I've been looking at Orient Ray II Model NO. FAA02007B9 (black version with a ...... strap, but it's fine because it lowers the cost).

If you'd have $150, what 200m water resistant watch would you choose?

Any input is welcome!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Coming a bit left field for an alternative you could go for one of these:
Casio Men's Watch, Stainless Steel, Black Dial, MTD-1053D-1AV

s-l1600.jpg

You should get one for around $50 and I say this because the number of time people lose watches on beaches and water.
I lost a watch off a boat once so these days I go for the cheapest so I can easily replace it if the worst happens!

Regards
Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Jim!

I've been looking around at this one for quite a while, but I can't get myself to like it at all.

As for losing it, I've never lost valuables, I somehow tend to be very careful with watches, but I totally understand where you come from with that suggestion.

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Lots of these in diving shops, they're sturdy and affordable (check the Hodinkee article about one they found working at the bottom of the sea):

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Orient Ray, Orient Mako, or Seiko SKX. Make your choice based on the watch that looks best to you.

Personally I prefer the SKX on a Jubilee bracelet.

I own all three and if I had to keep only one, it would be the SKX, but I like all three.

The SKX has the best lume, followed by the Ray, and the Mako has the weakest of the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, Jim!

I've been looking around at this one for quite a while, but I can't get myself to like it at all.

As for losing it, I've never lost valuables, I somehow tend to be very careful with watches, but I totally understand where you come from with that suggestion.

Regards,
Alex
*if* you go that route, go with the Casio MDV106-1A. Similar price, but it's a legit dive watch with screw-down crown and 200m WR. It's a little larger but with short lug-to-lug it isn't huge. Lume isn't great but a lot of watches are worse.

I think the Mako/Ray suggestions are solid, although I'd spring for the bracelet version and buy a replacement strap later as budget permits. The included strap is probably going to be replaced anyway-- it's nothing to write home about. Lume is good on those. The bezel could be better for a diving watch, but if you're buying it for the water resistance then it's probably OK.

I wouldn't count out Seiko, but the 007 is pushing your budget. The Sea Urchin won't have a screw-down crown, but otherwise would work. Most of the other divers in budget will also lack a screw-down crown.

Citizen is worthy of consideration, but same issue with the strap. The ND Limits chart is kind of superfluous for everyday wear.

If you go with a Russian watch with a Vostok movement, keep in mind they don't have a quick-set date. You might opt for a no-date version. I think they're a little quirky for daily wear and I never have 100% absolute trust in mine-- getting the Auto started from a full wind down is very tricky but it runs OK once fully wound. The lume on the classic Amphibias suuuuuuuuucks.

Deep Blue might skew a little large, but they always have a 40% off coupon bringing their stuff in budget.

For the Aqualung, those watches are just a Chinese OEM re-branded. They're solid-- honestly they truly are-- but you can find the same thing from multiple brands. Tauchmeister is one. Deep blue has used them in the past, and Divex is another. That's not even a comprehensive list.

One of those brands also appears to be Phoibos, which is new but getting a good reputation. Rather than pointing to that specific model, they have an even cheaper model that's very feature rich for the price if you're willing to live with quartz:

https://www.amazon.com/Phoibos-PX002B-Watch-Swiss-Quartz/dp/B01N6KIO7Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

And with a left field suggestion, if you get lucky at a local TJMaxx, you might find a Victorinox INOX (diver model or non, they're both tough enough for the job and then some.)

·
Premium Member
14,577 Posts
Casio MDV-106---under $50 always Stateside. Sometimes as low as $35

Citizen BN-0150 or 0151--- Usually around $140. Amazon had the black dial version a while back for $109.

Phoibos PX002 quartz--- $120 can be bought from them directly or from Amazon. Phoibos has Amazon drop ships for Phoibos Stateside.

All good choices. The Citizen has very good lume. The others, not so much.

I own all three.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My search, on the same budget as you, landed me on the Orient Ray II/Mako II.

I had a hard time deciding between which style and which color.

In the end, the black Mako II won. Now that I have the black diver role filled, I'm in the market for a blue and will be considering the Ray II or one of the Citizen offerings.

Here's a few different looks:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been lurking around to get the Casio Marlin, but I realized I can get an automatic if I push my budget a little. I really hope this will be one of my last watches, mainly because I don't do any modding and I like my budget to be kept in the family/house projects area.

The SKX is not so appealing to me because it looks too utilitarian and I'm always wearing a shirt and shoes, 1 day per week I put on one of my ties and rock a suit. I do have an Orient Bambino which is wonderful for a stylish outfit, but I want something to dive with during the summer. When I'm headed on a vacation, I regularly just stop the car and go for a bath in a random river (Bambino would totally suck at this).

Furthermore, I appreciate all of your responses and the effort put into this.

For now, I'll steer away from Casio Duro and Vostoks. Vostoks are not very appealing just because of that lack of quick-set for the date and the quirkiness as many have suggested already.

Deep Blue seems to have really unique models, but are those as reliable as Orient's line? Will they stand the test of time?
As for the Invicta, I've bought the 9094OB and it was 5 minutes off every day, so I returned it (quite difficult process, so I'll avoid Invicta in the future).

Seems like the final battle for me would be between Orient Ray II and that damned Citizen Eco Drive BN-0151 (not having to worry about the battery at all seems very appealing to me).

·
Registered
753 Posts
That citizen is a good choice. Had it for a year but never truly bonded with it for some reason. Gifted it to my coworker and he wears it every day and is his only "expensive" watch. Crystal still looks great even though it's not sapphire and neither of us have a desk job

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,577 Posts
I've been lurking around to get the Casio Marlin, but I realized I can get an automatic if I push my budget a little. I really hope this will be one of my last watches, mainly because I don't do any modding and I like my budget to be kept in the family/house projects area.

The SKX is not so appealing to me because it looks too utilitarian and I'm always wearing a shirt and shoes, 1 day per week I put on one of my ties and rock a suit. I do have an Orient Bambino which is wonderful for a stylish outfit, but I want something to dive with during the summer. When I'm headed on a vacation, I regularly just stop the car and go for a bath in a random river (Bambino would totally suck at this).

Furthermore, I appreciate all of your responses and the effort put into this.

For now, I'll steer away from Casio Duro and Vostoks. Vostoks are not very appealing just because of that lack of quick-set for the date and the quirkiness as many have suggested already.

Deep Blue seems to have really unique models, but are those as reliable as Orient's line? Will they stand the test of time?
As for the Invicta, I've bought the 9094OB and it was 5 minutes off every day, so I returned it (quite difficult process, so I'll avoid Invicta in the future).

Seems like the final battle for me would be between Orient Ray II and that damned Citizen Eco Drive BN-0151 (not having to worry about the battery at all seems very appealing to me).
I had a black dialed Orient Ray II and sold it off. The crown is too small to manipulate easily. I like the Citizen over the Orient in terms of looks and the fact that it's solar and should go for decades (yes, decades) before needing to be opened. Besides, if you don't really feel like messing with a watch then quartz is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I think I've read the whole thread. It looks like you're not inclined to the SKX. But that's the way I went. I've learned that I'm a tool watch guy, and the 007 is unapologetically a Seiko dive watch. (I think the same can be said about the Citizen) Mine looks good, and different, on rubber (but not the Seiko rubber. Yuck.) , Zulu (all different colors) or an aftermarket oyster bracelet. I'm aware that the Seiko doesn't hack or handwind, but don't care. If I know I'm going to get it wet, the Seiko just feels completely trustworthy.

I just have never felt the same way about the Orients. maybe they're a little dressier than I like, maybe they are a little too derivative. I don't know, but they have never done it for me. That said, every Orient watch I've seen looks great in the metal and doesn't disappoint.

I've thought about trading my 007 for a new Turtle, but haven't made the effort. Not sure if there's a reason to.

From a looks standpoint, I think the Sea Urchin is great looking. But I don't own one.

A quick Google search found an Ebay vendor selling SKX007K's for $108, with free shipping. If that's for real, I'd jump on it.

edit: realized that I could post a picture!
007_orange.jpg
007_bb1.jpg
007_bb2.jpg

BTW, the last two shots were taken 24 hours apart, in the same birdbath.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts