WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard submariner is really famous and there are lots of homage/or copycat models and
somehow my search history went from diver watch > submariner > homage watches and came across these two models;

Squale 1545 Ferrovia Steinhart Ocean39 GMT

However, I am a watch newbie and never heard of these brands/models before and want to hear about your thoughts on these
and I understand alot of people hate about copycat watches and I try to find ones that don't look exactly the same (even if they look super similar sorry)
Or if you have any other recommendation, I'm open to anything

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I own a Steinhart since december 2020, I'm impressed with the quality of the finish and the build quality as a whole. Both Squale and Steinhart have been around for a while and use easy to Service ETA/Sellita movements, so there are also no concerns when the time comes for maintenance on these.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
what do you want, OP? Do you want a watch that looks like that? Then yeah, go for it, Steinhart and Squale are good brands. I think Squale is a bit more premium of the two, usually being a bit more expensive and most of their newer watches being more original. But Steinhart offers insane value for money

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve had the Steinhart since 2019 and find the quality to be great. I put it on a gray/blue Nato to change it up a bit over the bracelet. The accuracy is excellent for a $700 watch, running about a minute fast per week.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I've owned several Squale and Steinhart watches and they are excellent timepieces, very good value, solid build and performance. I've since sold them and now really all I wear are Seiko and nearly all divers. So...Seiko, Seiko 5, and Prospex are well worth a look. Although you won't find Rolex homages, you will find brilliant, significant designs from decades past that are executed and updated so as to look absolutely fresh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you want, OP? Do you want a watch that looks like that? Then yeah, go for it, Steinhart and Squale are good brands. I think Squale is a bit more premium of the two, usually being a bit more expensive and most of their newer watches being more original. But Steinhart offers insane value for money
Sorry forgot to mention, Yes I wanted to gather opinions on these models and if I have to choose between these two, what would be the better pick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or just other diver watches in general. I've been eyeing on many watches now and Glycine Combat sub looks really nice as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You should also take into consideration your wrist size and the dimensions of the watch, more importantly lug to lug distance. I don't think you want to get a watch with lugs that overhang your wrist.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Both are solid brands, so go with the one that makes your heart flutter.

I have a Steinhart and love it.

Squale was my second choice for that purchase and I know I would have been happy with it; I just could not do the Squale fish logo.

Reactions: dknever

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is an Oris Divers 65 for sale on the forum right now for $1,000 -- it's a great watch you might consider.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I like the Steinhart . I like the watch more, and I like the brand more due to a much larger and much more diverse collection. Steinhart also has a good looking branded movement that can be seen through its display, engraved caseback.

Its prettty clear why Squale doesn't show the generic, "your brand here" caseback of the 1545 on their website. To me, this caseback tells me all want to know about this watch.

Steinhart by a mile.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the Steinhart . I like the watch more, and I like the brand more due to a much larger and much more diverse collection. Steinhart also has a good looking branded movement that can be seen through its display, engraved caseback.

View attachment 15813469

Its prettty clear why Squale doesn't show the generic, "your brand here" caseback of the 1545 on their website. To me, this caseback tells me all want to know about this watch.

View attachment 15813464
Steinhart by a mile.
I guess I'm not following your logic here...you don't like squale because they don't have a see through case back? You do realize the submariner...a $10k and up watch, in which these watches are based on, has the most plain case back in the history of the universe... right?

My biggest gripe with squale is a) they skimp out on parts of their watches to save money and b) their 1545 model has squale on the dial...2x. Like...why????

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I guess I'm not following your logic here...you don't like squale because they don't have a see through case back? You do realize the submariner...a $10k and up watch, in which these watches are based on, has the most plain case back in the history of the universe... right?

My biggest gripe with squale is a) they skimp out on parts of their watches to save money and b) their 1545 model has squale on the dial...2x. Like...why????
No. Its not because the Squale has a solid caseback, it's that its what I perceive as an inexpensive, skimpy caseback with generic laser etched text around its perimeter.

I think the Steinharts caseback is more precision with more specific and more model specific information. I also like that its engraved. I do think its a plus that it shows off the quality and detail of the movement that's inside the watch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Heard submariner is really famous and there are lots of homage/or copycat models and
somehow my search history went from diver watch > submariner > homage watches and came across these two models;
View attachment 15813092 View attachment 15813093
Squale 1545 Ferrovia Steinhart Ocean39 GMT

However, I am a watch newbie and never heard of these brands/models before and want to hear about your thoughts on these
and I understand alot of people hate about copycat watches and I try to find ones that don't look exactly the same (even if they look super similar sorry)
Or if you have any other recommendation, I'm open to anything

Thanks in advance

OP, take it from the guys on this board with decades into this addiction (sickness), we've all been there at some point in the beginning. You love the look of the Rolex Sub but laugh out loud at the prospect of paying $10k for a watch. And so you chase it with a substitute. If you're like me, back when I was a broke 23yo school teacher and more interested in blowing my meager paycheck trying to pick up girls, you start out cheaper with a budget of a few hundred. Get a blatant Sub knockoff from Orient, or Epos, or some other random affordable brand. Sooner or later that budget doubles and you end up where you are now, drooling over blatant Sub knock-offs like the Steinhart. And I'll admit, on paper and for the dollar, Squale and in particular the Ocean One (and especially that gorgeous Batman GMT version) are phenomenal values. Ceramic bezel, ETA, decent (but not "good") bracelet. You shell out the $600, or $700 or even $800 and you're absolutely thrilled.

But I can promise you one thing: it won't last. Buying a Sub knock-off to scratch that Sub itch will never actually scratch that itch. Sooner or later, that temporary fix will end up in the drawer collecting dust, along with the next three or four "homage" watches you picked up along the way, and in the end you'll have spent three or four grand on no-name watches that aren't worth 20% of what you paid and you're still lusting after the next purchase a little higher on the status totem pole.

Do yourself a favor: If you want a Sub, save for a Sub. Because if you stay in this long enough, and start spending enough money, you will arrive at the point where you'll be embarrassed to wear a blatant Sub knock-off and all those you purchased previously will end up sold, traded, given away or forgotten somewhere. If you've got a decent budget, somewhere in the $1000 territory, put it to good use and get a reputable brand diver that ISN'T a blatant knock-off and you'll still be proud to own five years from now. The obvious choice to me is the Oris Aquis, which can be had in the $1500 range GM and is an absolutely phenomenal watch that will NEVER go out of style, NEVER be looked down upon by a single WIS and will serve you well for the rest of your life. The other very safe route is to go with a good Seiko diver, in particular something JDM like the Prospex line, and going that route you can get a VERY respectable and quality diver well under $1000.

In the end, nobody is ever truly proud of owning a knock-off. It's a quick fix for young guys on a budget or folks who don't know much about watches and don't plan to learn more in the future. Invest in something you'll still be rocking ten years from now. Trust me, it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts