WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I owned and sold a Steinhart GMT, and still own a Squale.
I would be inclined to suggest Squale, I feel it is more iconic. However since you want to spend that kind of cash, a Seiko SPB149 or similar could be a better choice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is an Oris Divers 65 for sale on the forum right now for $1,000 -- it's a great watch you might consider.
I reckon you should rush to buy this Oris or get a HydroConquest as @K. Bosch suggested. Either watch would be considerably higher quality than a Squale/Steinhart.

Much as I enjoy my Steinhart, it’s not in the same league as Oris or Longines. And Oris, in particular, has exceptional build quality.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had the Steinhart Ocean 500 Titanium GMT to satisfy the "Batman" itch. The watch itself was great; frighteningly accurate, well-built and light. I got over the color scheme, though, and I see it as a bit dated even now, and sold it soon after I bought it. Steinhart has a number of Sub homages that are very nice. I never owned a Squale. My diver is the Mido Ocean Star GMT, which has blue accents but does not venture into homage territory. A bit over $1000, but you can probably find them for less.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OP, take it from the guys on this board with decades into this addiction (sickness), we've all been there at some point in the beginning. You love the look of the Rolex Sub but laugh out loud at the prospect of paying $10k for a watch. And so you chase it with a substitute. If you're like me, back when I was a broke 23yo school teacher and more interested in blowing my meager paycheck trying to pick up girls, you start out cheaper with a budget of a few hundred. Get a blatant Sub knockoff from Orient, or Epos, or some other random affordable brand. Sooner or later that budget doubles and you end up where you are now, drooling over blatant Sub knock-offs like the Steinhart. And I'll admit, on paper and for the dollar, Squale and in particular the Ocean One (and especially that gorgeous Batman GMT version) are phenomenal values. Ceramic bezel, ETA, decent (but not "good") bracelet. You shell out the $600, or $700 or even $800 and you're absolutely thrilled.

But I can promise you one thing: it won't last. Buying a Sub knock-off to scratch that Sub itch will never actually scratch that itch. Sooner or later, that temporary fix will end up in the drawer collecting dust, along with the next three or four "homage" watches you picked up along the way, and in the end you'll have spent three or four grand on no-name watches that aren't worth 20% of what you paid and you're still lusting after the next purchase a little higher on the status totem pole.

Do yourself a favor: If you want a Sub, save for a Sub. Because if you stay in this long enough, and start spending enough money, you will arrive at the point where you'll be embarrassed to wear a blatant Sub knock-off and all those you purchased previously will end up sold, traded, given away or forgotten somewhere. If you've got a decent budget, somewhere in the $1000 territory, put it to good use and get a reputable brand diver that ISN'T a blatant knock-off and you'll still be proud to own five years from now. The obvious choice to me is the Oris Aquis, which can be had in the $1500 range GM and is an absolutely phenomenal watch that will NEVER go out of style, NEVER be looked down upon by a single WIS and will serve you well for the rest of your life. The other very safe route is to go with a good Seiko diver, in particular something JDM like the Prospex line, and going that route you can get a VERY respectable and quality diver well under $1000.

In the end, nobody is ever truly proud of owning a knock-off. It's a quick fix for young guys on a budget or folks who don't know much about watches and don't plan to learn more in the future. Invest in something you'll still be rocking ten years from now. Trust me, it's worth it.
Perfection!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sub-$1000 opens up a lot of options in the mid-level micro-brand world - Halios, Baltic, and Lorier to name a few.
Raven, Helson, Mk II and many others also. All good. Second the recommendation on the Seiko Prospex line and their other divers as well as Orient.

·
Registered
659 Posts
OP, take it from the guys on this board with decades into this addiction (sickness), we've all been there at some point in the beginning. You love the look of the Rolex Sub but laugh out loud at the prospect of paying $10k for a watch. And so you chase it with a substitute. If you're like me, back when I was a broke 23yo school teacher and more interested in blowing my meager paycheck trying to pick up girls, you start out cheaper with a budget of a few hundred. Get a blatant Sub knockoff from Orient, or Epos, or some other random affordable brand. Sooner or later that budget doubles and you end up where you are now, drooling over blatant Sub knock-offs like the Steinhart. And I'll admit, on paper and for the dollar, Squale and in particular the Ocean One (and especially that gorgeous Batman GMT version) are phenomenal values. Ceramic bezel, ETA, decent (but not "good") bracelet. You shell out the $600, or $700 or even $800 and you're absolutely thrilled.

But I can promise you one thing: it won't last. Buying a Sub knock-off to scratch that Sub itch will never actually scratch that itch. Sooner or later, that temporary fix will end up in the drawer collecting dust, along with the next three or four "homage" watches you picked up along the way, and in the end you'll have spent three or four grand on no-name watches that aren't worth 20% of what you paid and you're still lusting after the next purchase a little higher on the status totem pole.

Do yourself a favor: If you want a Sub, save for a Sub. Because if you stay in this long enough, and start spending enough money, you will arrive at the point where you'll be embarrassed to wear a blatant Sub knock-off and all those you purchased previously will end up sold, traded, given away or forgotten somewhere. If you've got a decent budget, somewhere in the $1000 territory, put it to good use and get a reputable brand diver that ISN'T a blatant knock-off and you'll still be proud to own five years from now. The obvious choice to me is the Oris Aquis, which can be had in the $1500 range GM and is an absolutely phenomenal watch that will NEVER go out of style, NEVER be looked down upon by a single WIS and will serve you well for the rest of your life. The other very safe route is to go with a good Seiko diver, in particular something JDM like the Prospex line, and going that route you can get a VERY respectable and quality diver well under $1000.

In the end, nobody is ever truly proud of owning a knock-off. It's a quick fix for young guys on a budget or folks who don't know much about watches and don't plan to learn more in the future. Invest in something you'll still be rocking ten years from now. Trust me, it's worth it.
While I generally agree with this sentiment regarding homages (been there myself and eventually gave up on the idea of owning a sub alltogether) but the OP, while searching for homages, happened across two of the original designs from these companies-both of which, homages aside, offer well-made, value oriented Swiss watches. Both of these would be good choices for a "starter watch". I've owned both brands, the squale 1545 wears better due to downward sloped lugs. The case finishing on the Squale was sharper, but steinhart feels more solid. If I were shopping Squale again, I'd be shopping the 30 Atmos range, since that's their historical original design from before they got into the homage game. Something to consider with these brands, is that the money they make from homages keeps them afloat so that they can offer their more interesting designs.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Steinhart makes the type of watch that made Rolex popular originally. They are very well made, practical, robust, nicely proportioned and reasonably priced for the quality they offer. And thank god, they are not a copy of the modern Submariner. Here's why:

The first picture shows a Rolex commissioned for the military in the 1970s. It has a case with slim lugs, crown guards added for a practical reason and a dial with great legibility. The modern Sub on the other hand has much fatter lugs, hideously wide, polished crown guards and indices that just look too large compared to the small mercedes hands. In my opinion it's just butt ugly.

Luckily, Steinhart never copied the case shape Rolex introduced about a decade ago. So, if you want a watch that echos both the general design and the practical spirit in which the Sub was once created, buy a Steinhart. Rolex doesn't make those watches any more. They make financial assets to invest in.

Personally, I'd go with the Ocean Titanium 500 without GMT function, but that's just a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
69,696 Posts
I own both Steinharts and Squales & if I was to choose I think I’d go for the Squale. If you come down on the Steinhart side of the fence I’m sure you will be equally happy though as IMO there’s not a lot between the two brands.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have had one steinhart (OVM 42mm) and it was amazing. I have had three squale a pepsi gmt that I sold, a matte blue 1521 and that ferrovia that you picked both of which I still have.
The Squale are very nice and keep fantastic time. I got the 1521 for the color and its their original case design. I got the ferrovia because it has those lovley sub dimensions but is also original as its a reissue of a watch they made years ago. So I dont feel like I am wearing a knock off but it is still super comfortable and versatile.

pick what you like and enjoy! Both are fine watches.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Raven, Helson, Mk II and many others also. All good. Second the recommendation on the Seiko Prospex line and their other divers as well as Orient.
Really can't go wrong with Orient. They have some amazing divers at very affordable prices.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Food for thought OP:

Squale has real dive history going back to 1948. They made the cases for the major brands’ dive watches in the 1950s and 1960s.

OTOH Steinhart is an homage company that started in 2001.

PS: You can get a non-homage “real diver” Squale, new from AD, for well under $1000.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
No personal experience with Squale but never heard bad about them. I did have the non GMT version of the Steinhart you posted. It was the larger size too. I was very happy with the build and accuracy was amazing. Smooth winding and light due to the titanium. I don't think you could go wrong with either. As others have mentioned, consider Oris too. The two watches I had from there were definite quality. Neither one was the Aquis but that's on my radar.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I’ll suggest an alternative option. An original design from a Swiss brand with heritage and of equal or better quality.

Certina DS Action Diver

I wear this watch every other day. Great watch. It’s a shade larger than a Steinhart Ocean 1 but wears about the same; I think the Squale feels smaller on the wrist. If I were serious about the Ocean 1, I would look at the titanium version - a slightly more original/interesting look in my opinion. (I would want to know if Steinhart uses grade 5 titanium or a hardening treatment - grade 2 titanium can get some marks on it without some sort of surface treatment).

by the way, there are a variety of views about whether wearing a watch that kind of looks like a Rolex is some sort of compromise or not. Some people will never rest until they're wearing a Rolex. Others couldn't care less. Either of the watches you are looking at will look good and keep time very well for a very long time with normal service, just like a Rolex or some other more expensive brand. If you want a Rolex watch some day, great, go for it. Don't get seduced into thinking that other watches are unacceptable, low quality, copycats, whatever. You would be very happy with the quality of either of these.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seiko (new or preowned) and preowned Oris over Squale and Steinhart all day, every day!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts