WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello WUS community.

I am looking to see if y'all can provide me with some ideas. I've been stalking this website for a little while now.

I am looking for a new watch, to be worn most often with my dress clothes, such as a suit.

• Needs to have a black face/dial.
  • Around or (even better) under $300. (maybe there's a little bit of wiggle room, we'll see)
  • At least 40mm case size
  • Don't really want another Seiko.

Also if you give me a suggestion, could you please give me an example of a place it is sold!

PS: As far as the design, besides wanting a black face/dial, I'm pretty open to ideas. I was thinking maybe of something minimalist, maybe that would be dressier, but again, I don't have my heart set on anything.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You didn't specify quartz v. mechanical, but I have a tendency to assume mechanical and so...

The best value for your money that I can think of would be a used Tissot Visodate - I have seen them go for $350. This would require some diligence on the sales forums, but they do come up. And I like the black one better than the silver/white one.

If you are looking for immediate gratification (i.e. to purchase new, right now), how about an Orient Bambino? Nice vintage feel at the modern size, affordable at MSRP $260 (plus discount codes!), and an "in-house" movement. Reviewed here: Review: Orient Bambino ER24004B | watch reviews on worn&wound

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't specify quartz v. mechanical, but I have a tendency to assume mechanical and so...

The best value for your money that I can think of would be a used Tissot Visodate - I have seen them go for $350. This would require some diligence on the sales forums, but they do come up. And I like the black one better than the silver/white one.

If you are looking for immediate gratification (i.e. to purchase new, right now), how about an Orient Bambino? Nice vintage feel at the modern size, affordable at MSRP $260 (plus discount codes!), and an "in-house" movement. Reviewed here: Review: Orient Bambino ER24004B | watch reviews on worn&wound
Actually in my browsing this site, I've seen the Visodate many times, and always liked it but it was just always right outside what I felt comfortable paying at the moment.

This Orient Bambino just jumped to the top of my list! Under $200 with the discount code listed at your review.

·
Registered
Rolex GMT Master II, Omega Speedmast 9300, Tag Heuer Link Chrono, Shinola Bronze Monster
169 Posts
For a good general purpose watch that goes with pretty much everything I have a Hamilton Khaki Quartz all stainless. Very nice watch that works with a suit, jeans, khakis or anything. Hamilton Watch · Quartz

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello WUS community.

I am looking to see if y'all can provide me with some ideas. I've been stalking this website for a little while now.

I am looking for a new watch, to be worn most often with my dress clothes, such as a suit.

• Needs to have a black face/dial.
  • Around or (even better) under $300. (maybe there's a little bit of wiggle room, we'll see)
  • At least 40mm case size
  • Don't really want another Seiko.

Also if you give me a suggestion, could you please give me an example of a place it is sold!

PS: As far as the design, besides wanting a black face/dial, I'm pretty open to ideas. I was thinking maybe of something minimalist, maybe that would be dressier, but again, I don't have my heart set on anything.
What you want is a Movado Museum. You can get it at Amazon, Ashford, Jomashop, and Timepiece.com. I have one and I love it.

You could get a... Seiko! Similar style, but for 150 bucks (much less than 300, 400, or 500):

·
Registered
81 Posts
How about the Orient Symphony:

ser27006b_1.jpg

It is quite similar to the Bambino, but doesn't have the vintage look of the domed crystal.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Seagull and Orient offer great choices as mechanical watches. Since you are looking at a black dial, I'd start with Orient (most of Seagull have white/silver dials)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts