WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader first time poster. About to buy my first dress watch that's more than 400EUR but have a limited budget and can't spend more than 600. Have narrowed it down to a Steinhart roman numeral marine automatic: MARINE CHRONOMETER 44, Roman.. - Marine Watch - Steinhart Watches however I have just noticed that the case has a height of more than 14mm and I think 44mm will also be too big for my 6.75 inch wrist.

As I will be wearing a fitted business shirt each day with the watch I am fearful that the height will clash with my cuffs but I really love the look of the watch and the price! Just wondering if anyone can suggest a similar looking and similar quality German watch for the same price range? Looking at the cheapest stowa marine available but may be a bit out of reach price wise and is only a couple of mm lower in height as well. Interested in any alternatives you may have? I think about a 40mm case is optimum.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Archimede: Their Deckwatch is closest in design to the Steinhart, but at a more manageable 42mm / 10.5mm case.

Stowa Marine Automatic: Doesn't have the fancy arabic numerals, but nails the 40mm size

xhdzhzn.jpg

Personally I'd get the Stowa - it's lean enough to pull dress duty, but still good with casual wear. Either that or go above budget for a Stowa Marine Original (which does come in Roman numerals/small seconds). Their build quality is insanely good for the price-point and well worth the extra funds imo.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The Steinhart Marine is lovely. Unless you are set on getting a German marine watch. Hamilton has the Khaki Marine Pioneer can be found for your budget, though it does not have roman numerals
Hamilton-Khaki-Navy-Pioneer-01.jpg Hamilton-Khaki-Navy-Pioneer-02.jpg

Gerlach also has one made with Seagull movement.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Another vote for the Archimede Deck Watch. Their in-house 3-part case is really nice, and stock photos don't do it justice.

Yes, the Stowa Marine Original is a bit nicer (not the case, but the dial detail), but it doesn't meet your price point.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is smaller Steinhart also.
Ok it's Arabic not Roman numbers and 38mm not 40, but nice looking, only not so sure about this blue thingy on crown...
Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 21.29.56.png

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Aristo 4H69 Classic Style Swiss ETA 2824-2 Automatic Dress Watch

Aristo 4H69 Classic Style Swiss ETA 2824-2 Automatic Dress Watch.jpg

Borrowed pic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When it comes to German costumes lederhosen is best form men. Formerly, lederhosen were worn for hard physical work; they were more durable than a fabric garment and easier to clean.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Mate, don't get a Steinhart, too derivative. Get a Junghans, beautiful German minimalist designs in dress watches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts