WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

[I'm new to WUS, so forgive me if I've posted this question in the wrong forum...]

Anyway, I'm looking to purchase an affordable (<$600) mechanical watch.

Based on personal preference, I've narrowed the field down to the Seiko SARB035 and the Tissot Visodate

Here are the reviews on WUS:

Tissot Visodate: https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/tissot-visodate-1957-heritage-collection-automatic-review-459020.html
Seiko SARB035: https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-spirit-sarb035-new-arrival-pictures-285906.html

Aesthetically, I love them both. I don't have a preference for either brand. Price-wise, they're very close.

So, I'd like to know more about the movement.

I've read that the Tissot uses an ETA 2836-2. I don't know about the Seiko.

Can anyone provide their thoughts on which is "better?" (Higher quality? More reliable/accurate, etc?)

Also - since I'd be buying the Seiko from Japan (sight unseen) - can anyone share their thoughts on whether either watch has a higher build quality?

Many thanks in advance for your advice and insight!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Personally, I'd have preferred it if the Visodate was about 2mm smaller (especially given the ETA2836 movement size), the day/date position just looks a bit "off" to me. I'd choose the SARB035 every day of the week and the weekends!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
v76 - Many thanks for your reply! I too wish the Visodate were just a little smaller. Is that the main reason you prefer the Seiko, or are there other reasons as well?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
It's mainly the size, I do like the Visodate design. It's pretty much a dead-heat when it comes to the movement - the ETA2824-2 versus Seiko's cal. 6R20, both are reliable, accurate and sturdy movements.

I think Seiko has done a great job with the design of the SARB035.

v76 - Many thanks for your reply! I too wish the Visodate were just a little smaller. Is that the main reason you prefer the Seiko, or are there other reasons as well?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The 6r15 movement in the SARB is great. I have the same in my Sumo and it runs consistently +2 per day and is two years old. I also have a Visodate that I really enjoy as well. The biggest difference for me is the beats per second. You get 8 per second on the Tissot and 6 on the SARB so the sweeping second hand is a bit smoother on the Tissot. Thats the biggest mechanical difference worth noting probably. You can't go wrong with either though so choose the one that really fits your style. Both are beauties.

Reactions: stuehler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
v76 - I'm looking at the http://www.seiyajapan.com site (where I'd probably buy the Seiko from), and it lists the movement as a "6R15". Is that the same as the "6R20", or has Seiko changed the movement, or is Seiya's info wrong/out of date?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
978 Posts
v76 - I'm looking at the http://www.seiyajapan.com site (where I'd probably buy the Seiko from), and it lists the movement as a "6R15". Is that the same as the "6R20", or has Seiko changed the movement, or is Seiya's info wrong/out of date?

Thanks again!
The 6R20 and the 6R15 are both part of the 6R caliber. The SARB035 has the 6R15. The 6R calibers are a step up from the 7S calibers found in Seiko 5s. They add hacking, hand-winding, a longer power reserve, and are likely better regulated. As Boone mentioned, the most noticeable difference between the ETA and the 6R is that the 6R beats a little slower so the second hand doesn't move as smoothly. The date also changes a little slower on the 6R.

The 6R has some advantages to the ETA, however. It has a slightly longer power reserve (38hr versus 50hrs, I believe). It's also better finished than the ETA/Selitta in my Oris Classic. On my Oris, the movement essentially unfinished with the exception of the rotor. The 6R15 has polished edges on the bridges and hairline shading on the main surfaces. The rotor has Geneve striping and is partially skeletonized. Overall, the 6R is better looking. Finally, the 6R is entirely in house, which may or may not give you a warm feeling inside.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
My bad, it should have been a cal. 6R15, not a cal. 6R20 as typed earlier.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The 6R15 is a 23 jewel selfwind/automatic movement with seconds hack and is handwindable. It beats at 21,600bph (or 3Hz).

The ETA2824-2 is a 25 jewel selfwind/automatic movement with seconds hack and is handwindable too. It beats at 28,800bph (or 4Hz).

As mentioned by others, the seconds hand motion will appear smoother in an ETA2824-2 powered movement because of the higher beat rate. Anecdotally, I would say however that the 6R15 is just as accurate as the ETA2824-2, and there's very little to choose between them in that regard. Since the 6R movements have a similar construction to the 7S series of movements, they should be just as rugged/indestructible. The "magic lever" winding system also carries on from the 7S and is a very efficient/effective system to convert wrist motion to power stored in the mainspring of the movement (as good as IWC's Pellaton, by most accounts).

And since the Seiko 6R15 is a fine inhouse movement, I like that aspect as well (it could be argued that the ETA is inhouse for Tissot ;-)).

Reactions: stuehler and reef58

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good taste on both. I am in the Seiko camp personally but dont think you can go wrong with either. Between these 2 I would put less weight on the name and guts but which speaks to you more. That first Tissot with the sub dial for second hand is slick.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Bronte does bring up a great point. The power reserve on the 6r15 movement is phenomenal. I have been able to get 52 to 54 hours so it is very efficient. I've noticed with my Tissot that it can stop after about 30 hours. That's not really an issue though, your wrist movement may be different from mine which could charge it up more. Neither has ever stopped on me once on the wrist.

Another thing is that the 6r15 is designed to go longer without servicing. ETA movements suggest a service every 3 to 5 years. You can go longer with the 6r movements. Some people never service the lower grade 7s movements from Seiko and never have any issues.

Plenty of pros and cons on both, but again you should be very pleased with either.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have two SARBs, 017 and 065, and two Hamilton's - which I've read are on par with Tissot - and I'd say they are very equal with regard to appearance and quality.

I've never noticed the difference in secondhand sweep with any of my automatics. But now I'll be looking for it. ;-)

I say get the one you like the most and don't worry about the rest. If you go with the Seiko, you can save 14 bucks at Chino. I used them for my last SARB and shipping was really fast!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am going to have to say the Tissot. I far prefer the case design on the Tissot. The lug "merge" on the SARB make a b-line to the crown. It is almost as if the lugs wrap around the main case. I prefer how the lugs on the Tissot come into the case rather than appearing to wrap around. I think the movements are a toss-up, even if there is superior movement finishing on the 6R. Check that, I'd prefer the smooth sweep hand. Either case, good watches...but the Tissot has my vote.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Both of them are fine watches indeed. You will get more recognition from the Tissot compared to the SARB. We know this Seiko is much better than the 5, but to the un-initiated, it can be mistaken for a cheap Seiko 5 that can be had for 50 bucks. The Tissot is going to have brand recognition, the swiss moniker for watever its worth and a solid movement. In the end though, it comes down to personal preference on which looks better to you on your wrist. You cant really go wrong with either, I was just presenting yet another criteria which may be worth considering

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,057 Posts
Expect that either movement will be accurate and reliable for a long time if maintained properly. The only advantage of the Seiko movement is a longer power reserve of close to 50 hours compared to about 40 hours for the ETA. Although the number of hours for the Seiko is decidedly bigger whether that addded reserve really useful depends on how you wear your watches.

Of the two my choice would be the Seiko. But go with what your heart says you like.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I think with these two, the deciding factor will be which one you like the look of more.

After a while, the accuracy of the movement becomes less important and the provenance of the movement becomes less important and even the brand becomes less important. What remains is whether or not you like how it looks because if you don't, even if everything else is 100% top notch, something will always be wrong every time you look at it.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You will get more recognition from the Tissot compared to the SARB...
True, but I don't think most regular (i.e normal :-d) people are going to notice your watch at all let alone care if it's Swiss. On the other hand if you meet a WIS in the wild, they'll know it's not a 5 and be impressed that you did your homework and had the more unique, less readily available mid-range Seiko domestic imported to you.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
The 6R20 and the 6R15 are both part of the 6R caliber. The SARB035 has the 6R15. The 6R calibers are a step up from the 7S calibers found in Seiko 5s. They add hacking, hand-winding, a longer power reserve, and are likely better regulated. As Boone mentioned, the most noticeable difference between the ETA and the 6R is that the 6R beats a little slower so the second hand doesn't move as smoothly. The date also changes a little slower on the 6R.

The 6R has some advantages to the ETA, however. It has a slightly longer power reserve (38hr versus 50hrs, I believe). It's also better finished than the ETA/Selitta in my Oris Classic. On my Oris, the movement essentially unfinished with the exception of the rotor. The 6R15 has polished edges on the bridges and hairline shading on the main surfaces. The rotor has Geneve striping and is partially skeletonized. Overall, the 6R is better looking. Finally, the 6R is entirely in house, which may or may not give you a warm feeling inside.
I mean, they say it's 50 hours, but in my experience, it's more like three weeks. My god, it just runs forever. The beat rate is annoying though.

That said, I want a SARB071. And I'd go SARB in this case as well.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Having the SARB, I have to recommend it highly. Very high quality.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts