WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After nearly a year from the original thought of there being a f71 Limited Edition watch, it has finally started landing at locations around the States and soon around the World.

I want to publicly thank Ernie for our wonderful corner of his forum. I want to thank Fred for stepping up willingly and doing a masterful job. I'd like to thank my fellow committee members for their support and hard work. I think we all wanted to pull out our hair at one point or another but now that we're 'done' it was well worth it. That said, I won't be on any future watch committees. Not because it was a pain but because I now own a business that I need to be focused on. And finally, thank you to the WUS members that made the whole thing possible by buying in to the project.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves for the most part but I will offer a couple comments. I really miss having a good macro lens and a dSLR too. :(
1. The dial color is actually a lot more difficult to capture than I expected. The color varies a lot under different light sources. (Sun, incandescent, fluorescent etc). I took my photos in a lightbox with the auto white balance calibrated.
2. The movement feels really solid. I also didn't know that it would hack and hand-wind, I didn't think the 8215 did that?
3. The crown screws down better than any other watch I own. It's SOLID.
4. The sunburst dial is very subtle and works really well in the overall design of the dial. I absolutely LOVE the rings.
5. As you'll see in the photos, the f71 combo looks real nice together.

IMG_1570 by theague, on Flickr

IMG_1576 by theague, on Flickr

IMG_1577 by
theague, on Flickr

IMG_1574 by theague, on Flickr

IMG_1571 by theague, on Flickr

IMG_1573 by theague, on Flickr

IMG_1578 by theague, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Love it! Can't wait to get mine. Ands I want to echo all your thanks. It was a great journey.

Sent while distracted.

·
Registered
446 Posts
2. The movement feels really solid. I also didn't know that it would hack and hand-wind, I didn't think the 8215 did that?

Is it possible the movement is actually a Seiko NH35A? Seems the 3215 is rapidly being replaced by that Seiko movement. Could easily explain the hacking and hand wind feature. Just wondering...

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Is it possible the movement is actually a Seiko NH35A? Seems the 3215 is rapidly being replaced by that Seiko movement. Could easily explain the hacking and hand wind feature. Just wondering...
As far as I know, the specs called for the Miyota 8215 so unless Fred tells us differently my assumption is that is what's in there.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,247 Posts
These came out looking great, I am very impressed!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So wait, it hacks too? I knew about the hand-winding, but I was also under the impression that it didn't hack. Awesome bonus.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If its a Miyota 8215 it doesn't hack, but it does hand wind.

·
Vendor
28,417 Posts
I very much doubt Fred would have switched the movement, whether he told us or not (he didn't).

I suspect Kody's mistaken, or that he may have done a "poor man's hack" - adjusting the time backwards will sometimes retard the seconds hand's movement, but not actually stop it. If you're good you can synchronize the time on a non-hacking watch this way.

As far as I know, the 8215 does hand-wind, but does NOT hack.

EDIT/PS - Great shots, Kody.

I won't be on another project committee either, but in my case it is because it was a major pain in the tuckus (and I've got a business to run).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I very much doubt Fred would have switched the movement, whether he told us or not (he didn't).

I suspect Kody's mistaken, or that he may have done a "poor man's hack" - adjusting the time backwards will sometimes retard the seconds hand's movement, but not actually stop it. If you're good you can synchronize the time on a non-hacking watch this way.

As far as I know, the 8215 does hand-wind, but does NOT hack.

EDIT/PS - Great shots, Kody.

I won't be on another project committee either, but in my case it is because it was a major pain in the tuckus (and I've got a business to run).
Could being under-wound cause it to hack? Because it was definitely hacking when I was first messing with it. I just tried it again and of course it's not hacking now lol I pulled it off my wrist and I was all set to take video of it. It wont even do the "poor man's hack" either.

Go figure.

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of the BA, except this one has a more sane approach to end links not being fused into the case ^^. This one, I think, is gonna look really good in outdoorsy sunlight.

·
Vendor
28,417 Posts
Could being under-wound cause it to hack? Because it was definitely hacking when I was first messing with it. I just tried it again and of course it's not hacking now lol I pulled it off my wrist and I was all set to take video of it. It wont even do the "poor man's hack" either.

Go figure.
Being wound down would cause it to hack (i.e. stop), but being under-wound? I dunno.

There's also the Miyota 8215 "seconds hand stutter" - perhaps a combination of poor man's hack and stutter created the illusion that yours was hacking.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Congrats bro and thanks to all on the committee for all the hard work. Still waiting for mine hopefully it arrives today. I spent countless moments on voting and adding my opinion to the making of the watch and I'm happy it looks awesome in pics , nice to see a unique looking watch come out so well

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Go figure.
There is only one real way to settle this... OPEN IT UP!! :D

Reactions: thekody

·
Vendor
28,417 Posts
#200 in da hizzle!!!

·
Vendor
28,417 Posts
In case anyone's looking for one...

I'm not even taking the cellophane off this one. Not because cellophane has become my nemesis, but in the interim between starting this project a year ago and getting it today my collection has exploded.

I'll be putting it up on F29 as BNIB shortly.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Whoa! Looks very blue compared to mock ups :think: What about the brightness of lume please?

Congrats on your new arrival, and to others getting these in. Exciting!

I'm expecting one myself. ;-) If it's too blue, and/or lume is standard Bernhardt, then I may have to leave the cellophane on too :-d

RD

·
Vendor
28,417 Posts
Whoa! Looks very blue compared to mock ups :think: What about the brightness of lume please?

Congrats on your new arrival, and to others getting these in. Exciting!

I'm expecting one myself. ;-) If it's too blue, and/or lume is standard Bernhardt, then I may have to leave the cellophane on too :-d

RD
There are a few lume shots posted in the "Narwhal Strikes Back" thread in the project sub-forum. Judging by those, the lume looks good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts