WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm new and have no clue about watches.
I am interested in a Skeleton watch with a leather band. Preferably silver with a brown band. I am looking to spend around $100-$150.
Brands and specific watches much appreciated.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Invicta, Stuhrling Original, and even Akribos do skeletons. When they're on clearance, you could get a pretty decent price~Cheers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you go on Amazon, they have a bunch of cheaper skeleton watches. I know this one doesn't match your color preferences, but it was the first example I could find. :)

Amazon.com: Bulova Men's 98A112 Automatic Mechanical Black Pearl Dial Strap Watch: All American Watches: Watches

They also have a watch guide on there which can answer a lot of your questions. Movements have a lot to do with how the watch is powered. An automatic watch will generally be powered by your wrist movements. A quartz watch can be solar powered or battery operated. There are many other differences, but that is one of the key points I keep in mind when buying a watch. An automatic will need to be worn often to keep it charged or you would need some type of watch winder.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Also, I have been reading about movement on the forums. What exactly do the each movements mean and is one better than the other?
There are a alot more watch brands than there are makers of the actual mechanical "guts" of watches. In your budget, you are going to run into Miyota (Citizen), Orient, Seagull, and some other Chinese movements. The Japanese movements are generally considered to be very good. Less bells and whistles than the Swiss, but just as accurate and reliable (or more so).

There are some very good Seagull movements, but they seem to sell cheaper ones to other watch makers (who sell watches with the same movements for much less than Seagull). The Chinese Mechanical forum here is a good place to learn and ask about the quality of different watches and movements.

Here are some of the Chinese watches/makers with better reputations for quality:

Minorva:

Seagull:

Parnis (open heart only):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts