WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an affordable watch that went to space, not a re-issue or replica.

I liked the idea of Russian Strella or Sturmanskie but they are almost all replicas/Franken.

I appreciate your help.

I have based my research on this article and used the search tool WUS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I forgot to mention I was looking for something mechanical.

Honestly I would love a Speedy, cant really afford one at the moment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would rather not keep it "end of story" and see if anyone has any other example of a affordable mechanical watch that went to space.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Accutron. Probably 99% of all watches that went to space are Accutrons. Almost all watches in space right now are Accutrons.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could consider a Vostok Amphibia

As you can see here the early ones were worn by some cosmonauts

These early ones had 'swing lugs' and can still be picked up for sensible money

The modern 420SE ones available from Merimon are pretty similar

And some come with a commemorative Gagarin case back

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Accutron. Probably 99% of all watches that went to space are Accutrons. Almost all watches in space right now are Accutrons.
I know we always discuss this when it comes up, but I'll quibble and say that the Accutron timers (not watches) used in space have been surpassed by quartz technology. Back in the 60's and early 70's, though, Accutron technology was used in many space applications. Their wristwatches, not so much.

I'll second the suggestion of the Seiko 6139-6002 "Pogue" chronograph. The first automatic chronograph in space, and arguably the first automatic chronograph on the market. You can get these all day for well under $500 (actually closer to $200-$300) and at 40mm they wear like a modern watch.

You can read more about the Pogue chronograph here.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Reactions: jdcovington1122

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Any idea where I could get a Poljot Strela with the same movement as the one taken to space? the 3017 if I recall.

EDIT: Checked the bay... Not cheap.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Personally I'd save for a 3107 Strela but other options.

Bulova Astronaut.

Ruhla Quartz 32768. First German watch in space. https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/ruhl...artz-watch-ever-made-eastern-bloc-888105.html

One is a tuning fork IIRC. The other is a quartz. But both are very interesting.

The previously mentioned Vostok Amphibian Type 350 case is also a good choice. I would say you are looking at around $150-$200 for a type 350 case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It´s a crying shame they don´t do ads like this anymore.

I know we always discuss this when it comes up, but I'll quibble and say that the Accutron timers (not watches) used in space have been surpassed by quartz technology. Back in the 60's and early 70's, though, Accutron technology was used in many space applications. Their wristwatches, not so much.

I'll second the suggestion of the Seiko 6139-6002 "Pogue" chronograph. The first automatic chronograph in space, and arguably the first automatic chronograph on the market. You can get these all day for well under $500 (actually closer to $200-$300) and at 40mm they wear like a modern watch.

You can read more about the Pogue chronograph here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about the excellent Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium, excellent and durable watch with good movement - just put on a dark brown alligator strap and its a worker alright.
Also, Tudor Black Bay (Red) with Tan Leather Strap looks fantastic, but you may save significantly with the Hamilton,
it also carries a better image for folks who do not know a lot of other brands like Eterna and Sinn.

Khaki Titanium about 1,000.00 USD max (There's an Online Review on YOuTube by ablogtowatch - check it out)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap

Tudor BlackBay (Red) with Leather

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Black

I am also in a similar dilemma having the Tag Heure Link Chronograph Duo Tone and the Rolex DateJust II (Anthracite) 40mm :
The Tag is too heave for daily use and commands too much attention,the Rolex ;
you know the story - fit for kings - others might be too intimidated.

So i am in the midst of choosing the Longines Conquest Heritage (Off-White/Cream Dial 40mm) or a
Raymond Weil Maestro Milos Limited Edition (39mm).

Let us know what you decide!

Cheers
Benzg.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
How about the excellent Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium, excellent and durable watch with good movement - just put on a dark brown alligator strap and its a worker alright.
Also, Tudor Black Bay (Red) with Tan Leather Strap looks fantastic, but you may save significantly with the Hamilton,
it also carries a better image for folks who do not know a lot of other brands like Eterna and Sinn.

Khaki Titanium about 1,000.00 USD max (There's an Online Review on YOuTube by ablogtowatch - check it out)

View attachment 2589530

Tudor BlackBay (Red) with Leather

View attachment 2589538

I am also in a similar dilemma having the Tag Heure Link Chronograph Duo Tone and the Rolex DateJust II (Anthracite) 40mm :
The Tag is too heave for daily use and commands too much attention,the Rolex ;
you know the story - fit for kings - others might be too intimidated.

So i am in the midst of choosing the Longines Conquest Heritage (Off-White/Cream Dial 40mm) or a
Raymond Weil Maestro Milos Limited Edition (39mm).

Let us know what you decide!

Cheers
Benzg.
Not sure if I'm missing something here but when did those watches go in to space?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts