WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an affordable (less than $500) mechanical dress watch.

Specs I am looking for:

- 30 mm to 38 mm (could push to 40 mm, but the smaller the better; my preferred watch size is 33 mm)
- no larger than 10 mm (prefer smaller than 8.5 mm)
- thin bezel
- dauphine hands (like Grand Seiko), but no lume
- no date (that one's important)
- line indices preferred (but Roman numerals ok; no arabic)

I realize that this may be a tough order to fill, but I thought I'd put it out there to get some ideas. I already have some quartz watches that meet these criteria, but I wouldn't mind having a mechanical. I also have the HMT Sona (shown below), which meets these criteria, but I'm looking for some new ideas.

This Seiko (SRP701) automatic would be great, except that it is way too thick for me (can't fit under shirt cuffs), and has a date:

front-2.jpg

HMT Sona (hands are kinda dauphine, but not as nice as Seiko):

qan5BCZ.jpg

Another watch that I like is this Grand Seiko Anniversary, but it is far too expensive for me (I found this picture on this forum; sorry for not remembering where I found it, so as to give credit):

6077365718_7baacc0bf6.jpg

I love this one, too, but it's too expensive, as well.

Thin-Watches---Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Ultra-Thin-41_1.jpg

This is a quartz watch, but I do like the minimal dial and the hands:

Top-seller-2015-ultra-thin-watches-for-men-Sinobi-Men-s-Watch-Analog-JAPAN-Movement-Quartz.jpg

Lastly, here are some of my wrist shots -- a 33 mm watch and a 35 mm watch:

w3.jpeg
w1.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
You have quite a few requirements, yet show watches that are well beyond the budget. If you have some patience, discipline and a little luck you may find the Longines Conquest Heritage without date complication. The size is 35mm with a thickness of 10mm and the no-date version was limited to 60-pieces each in gold and platinum as well as 600-pieces in stainless steel. I own one of the stainless steel pieces and it is a superb watch. You would have to expect to pay $1k or thereabouts for it, but it is a screaming steal at that price level. Below is a Hodinkee link-

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/hands-on-with-longines-conquest-heritage

Here are some images of my watch-

7815532_orig.jpg

7922370_orig.jpg

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The above Longines 1954-2014 Reissue is long sold-out so your only option is to buy second hand, and I have a feeling that most owners won't be parting with them any time too soon. Go for a vintage Longines manual wind with a Calibre 30L or 280. They will have about the best thickness to price ratio you can find anywhere.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Junghans Max Bill? A little over your budget, but maybe can be had for $750.
max-bill-automatic-traits-4.jpg

Reactions: ev13wt

·
Registered
898 Posts
The above Longines 1954-2014 Reissue is long sold-out so your only option is to buy second hand, and I have a feeling that most owners won't be parting with them any time too soon. Go for a vintage Longines manual wind with a Calibre 30L or 280. They will have about the best thickness to price ratio you can find anywhere.
Most definitely it is long (two years) sold out. That is why I wrote that it would take some patience, discipline and a little luck to find one. I purchased mine used and essentially mint from the for sale listings on this site last summer.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Hmmm, the budget is a killer. Your ideal watch is obviously a Royal Orient WE0031EG, coming in a 10mm thick (a few mms of that will be the box sapphire crystal), 35mm wide, display caseback, manual winding with +50hrs PR, decent accuracy spec and a 925 silver case.

WE0031EG?Royal Orient?????????????

we0031eg-2.jpg

A bit pricey at 160,000 Yens though. If you're comfortable buying used, great deals can be had on Yahoo Japan as Royal Orients don't hold their value very well, or even better value can be had for one of the "Royal Orient Star" precursors to the current model, as they've been making essentially the same watch for decades now.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yes. My main complaint is that most vintage watches are too small, but if you actually prefer 34-35mm then they're pretty much all that size.

Longines vintages watches in that size come up on eBay all day long, as do other brands that were big in the 1960s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts