WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been wanting to get a vintage inspired dive watch. I like the BB58 and the Oris Divers 65 but I can’t justify spending that much on dive/weekend warrior watch.

I have found that microbrands a lot of the time have this vintage look as well, but are fraction of the price.

One thing for me is I want to keep it on the smaller size. Under 40mm if possible. Lug2lug of <48mm and preferably a 20mm bracelet.

I want to stay below the $1000, and some of the brands I’ve come across are Lorier, Baltic, Traska and Yema to name a few.
I have $500 right now from selling another watch, but I have wiggle room.

I really like the Lorier Neptune. Good price but I’m scared it might be too thick.
(Photo attached)

The Baltic Aquascape is nice (top end of budget) but I’m not 100% sold on the beads of rice bracket. (Photo attached)

Yema is a near brand, but on their affordable size is the Superman II (tip end of budget) but, it has gigantic markers. (Photo attached). The Heritage Superman is awesome an looking watch
but it is pushing the Oris grey market price range.

Traska freediver looks good on paper for specks, but it doesn’t have the vintage vibe I’m looking for. (Photo attached)

If you have any input of other brands or have any experience with the watches I have mentioned so far it would be greatly appreciated.

I am not 100% or even 50% set on a microbrand watch, it is just that they seems that they offer a lot of bang for buck.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I own the Traska and it's okay. Not bad, but not great. The crown action is the major negative on mine, the first crown position versus where the threading starts is too close together. But it's something I can live with on a watch I seldom wear.

The Baltic is by far my favourite on your list. It's been on my "Buy one when you spot a deal" list for a while, unfortunately, so far I haven't spotted a deal. The proportions are spot on to my eye, and the finish looks great in photos.

As a curve ball, have you seen the new Invicta vintage diver? I think it ticks most of your boxes as a small fraction of the price.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a Nodus Retrospect and am really happy with it, vintage inspired and meets your size requirements 40 dia, 48 lug to lug and 20 bracelet. Around $450 new I think on the bracelet. On the pricier side for an NH35 but supposedly regulated to +/- 10s and movement feels smoother than other NH35s I have had.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It appears you don't fancy the YEMA Navygraf model; I suggest you also investigate the Le Jour brand:
Le Jour watches started it’s humble beginning in the 1960’s, Well known by watch aficionados and collectors worldwide for manufacturing Swiss made mechanical watches.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your comments so far.

Something about NTH just doesn't do it for me. To chunky looking I think.

Thanks for the couple other brands to take a look at... Nodus and Newmark.

cheifenergy: I like Le Jour GMT watches as they are on a bracelet, but they are at the very top end of my price range.

My top picks I still think are still the Lorier and Baltic.... Lorier $399, Baltic ~$725. Need to see if the Balitc is justifiable for almost twice the price of the Lorier. Nodus is nice, but I want to see what colors they will bring our for their next release of Retrospect II.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If you can get a Newmark 71 I think you will be very happy. Love mine.

The Yema Navigraf also looks to be a nice watch. Though I think the style is probably a love it or hate it thing. Count me in the "love" column.

Reactions: Efrive1

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Chris Ward C65 gets very close to the Oris Divers 65 aesthetic for less than half the price, though will be on the higher end of your budget.

I'd also look at:

Meraud Bonaire
Helson HammerHead 40 (Longines Skindiver homage)
Helson HammerHead 42 (Longines Legend diver homage)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, I've got the Invicta incoming. But, if you're still not on board with Invicta I really like the looks of the Yema collection. Not the one you posted, but those Navygraphs and Heritage models are really nice.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I own a couple Squales and they are awesome and will tick you boxes. I really like my 1521 in matte black; my most comfortable watch of the herd. I also have a 1545 Maxi; I get more compliments on this watch then all of them.

Reactions: E8ArmyDiver
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.