WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some modern designs watch for under 350 dollars. It is a surprise gift for a great friend of mine for his birthday. This will be the first watch that he's ever own. Please give me some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hi John, welcome to WUS! I think it will be helpful if you can provide some more detail on what it is you are looking for

How old is your friend? What does he do for a living?

Do you have a preference towards a quartz or mechanical watch?

New or used?

By modern design, are you looking for a "designer watch" like Fossil, Kenneth Kole, Armani, DKNY, etc? Or are you looking for a watch from a manufacturer with some history with a high quality movement?

That would be a good starting point, and from there I'm sure we can dig a bit deeper

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Portauto

My friend is 22 years old. He is currently a student but will graduate next year as a mechanical engineer. He is a sporty and outdoor person. The watch for him can be quartz or mechanical watch. I prefer to get a new watch for him and any brands would be fine.

Thanks for the HELP

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Thanks Portauto

My friend is 22 years old. He is currently a student but will graduate next year as a mechanical engineer. He is a sporty and outdoor person. The watch for him can be quartz or mechanical watch. I prefer to get a new watch for him and any brands would be fine.
Definitely mechanical would be the way to go for him.. check through the Affordables Forum to see what catches your eye, maybe something like the Seiko SKX007 automatic diver, this would be a great start

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have to toss a recommendation for an Orient model. Very nice quality and a great price for a Auto watch. I have the World Timer and love it.

Here is a pic of mine.

IMG_0333.JPG

Reactions: drmosh

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
An automatic dive watch would suit him well. I'm also a mechanical engineer and love playing sports. After going through many styles of watches, I've found that dive watches are my favorite. I would consider the Ollech & Wajs M4 Diver at $390 from gnomon watches for something a little different. There's always the Seiko skx007, Stargate, and Samurai. The Orient Mako, Mako XL, M-Force, and Orient Star WZ0371FD are also good options. 50% off coupon code watchuseek50 or youtube50 puts those in or very close to your price range. His wrist size is important also. Most of the watches I mentioned will work with any wrist size, but the Mako XL, M-Force, and Orient Star are bigger watches that might not work well with a smaller wrist size like mine of 6.25".

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I am going to recommend the watch I always like to recommend. A Hamilton Khaki Automatic. They can be found in that price range if you look around. I have a Khaki Officer and I love it! Mine has a see through caseback. Being able to see the movement might be something that might interest your friend.
Hammy.jpg hammy1.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hamilton is a very good choice and have a pretty good variety of styles and both quartz or automatic. Victorinox is another good option. I recently purchased this Hamilton for under $400 and its an auto with up to date styling.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I am going to recommend the watch I always like to recommend. A Hamilton Khaki Automatic. They can be found in that price range if you look around. I have a Khaki Officer and I love it! Mine has a see through caseback. Being able to see the movement might be something that might interest your friend.
View attachment 451214 View attachment 451219

really dig that khaki officer of yours. do they still make those?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts