WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a couple of watches for my brothers who are my best men in my wedding. Looking to spend about $350 or less. I'm really open to styles / brands, and am finding as I research I really have a lot to learn about watches. I was originally thinking Bulova, Citizen or Seiko, but found there is a lot of passion for Hamilton on these forums and I do like the looks of Hamilton.

I'm hoping to get them something nice, that will last, and they'll really like. I'm leaning toward classic / dress with leather band - I've seen some classic I like, and some chronos that I like and think achieve what I was originally thinking. I'm open though - just want to find a couple of good gifts. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I dunno about current exchange rates where you are but I just checked and this clocked in at around $364 AD plus postage and handling on top. But it is a damn good buy and Christopher Ward have excellent customer service, with a 5 year warranty and 60 day money back guarantee! Plus for a personal touch you can get them engraved at added cost of course. Like I said a bit on the pricier side but definitely well worth it. Swiss movement (if that means anything to you), sapphire crystal, deployant, exhibition caseback... They also have a quartz option that looks similar if your not into mechanical. Do some research and find out if you prefer quartz of mechanical but the this is the gist:

Mechanicals are less accurate, less robust and require relatively expensive servicing every 5 or so years but people prefer them for the art, engineering, history, charm etc etc they represent. Quartz are far more accurate, reliable and will only cost you a new battery change every so many years but not nearly as charming...

c1.jpg

Reactions: Will3020

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Orient Symphony

Orient Golden Eye

Rodina Automatic

·
Registered
601 Posts
Naf is right. You can't go wrong with the cw for the price!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'd say mechanical, more specifically automatic. Your brothers most likely won't wear them that often, so a mechanical watch just needs a wind and set. 20 years from now, it will still only need a wind and set. My best man admitted that he has only worn his Movado twice since I gave it to him five years ago now. Told me it's too special to risk messing it up wearing it all the time. Maybe your best men will be more likely to wear theirs, hopefully so! But I bet the next time he goes to wear it the battery will be dead. And he won't like having to spend the $30 dollars or whatever they charge for changing it at the mall.
Mechanicals are timeless, as much as your vows should be. Cheesy by true! Good luck mate, and congratulations!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
CW, Orient, Citizen, Seiko and Hamilton are all excellent choices that they should appreciate. The CW "Naf" is displaying is stunning and that my friend would be the perfect wedding gift watch, well at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I dunno about current exchange rates where you are but I just checked and this clocked in at around $364 AD plus postage and handling on top. But it is a damn good buy and Christopher Ward have excellent customer service, with a 5 year warranty and 60 day money back guarantee! Plus for a personal touch you can get them engraved at added cost of course. Like I said a bit on the pricier side but definitely well worth it. Swiss movement (if that means anything to you), sapphire crystal, deployant, exhibition caseback... They also have a quartz option that looks similar if your not into mechanical. Do some research and find out if you prefer quartz of mechanical but the this is the gist:

Mechanicals are less accurate, less robust and require relatively expensive servicing every 5 or so years but people prefer them for the art, engineering, history, charm etc etc they represent. Quartz are far more accurate, reliable and will only cost you a new battery change every so many years but not nearly as charming...

View attachment 1031765

Hey Naf, wow that CW is beautiful. Is that a quartz or automatic ? hmmm don't believe I've seen that one. model number ? thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's the c5 malvern and it has an automatic sallita movement. I've been scoping it out! The size is 39mm which is a better size for a dress watch than the Harrison c9.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Also check out the tissot automatic III. You can find them on amazon for $368! Great price with an automatic swiss movement!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm looking for a couple of watches for my brothers who are my best men in my wedding. Looking to spend about $350 or less. I'm really open to styles / brands, and am finding as I research I really have a lot to learn about watches. I was originally thinking Bulova, Citizen or Seiko, but found there is a lot of passion for Hamilton on these forums and I do like the looks of Hamilton.

I'm hoping to get them something nice, that will last, and they'll really like. I'm leaning toward classic / dress with leather band - I've seen some classic I like, and some chronos that I like and think achieve what I was originally thinking. I'm open though - just want to find a couple of good gifts. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Just checking, but was that $350 each or $350 total? Lots of great recommendations here. For the price, you can get them some nice Orient dress autos. If they are not watch guys, I would spend less than $150 each as they probably will wear them once a year as britewhite shared.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hey Naf, wow that CW is beautiful. Is that a quartz or automatic ? hmmm don't believe I've seen that one. model number ? thanks.
Hey sorry couldn't reply earlier. Yea as Williamtv pointed out it is an automatic with Sellita movement. Excellent quality! Very happy with it. Model no. is C5SSK-MK2. It comes with white and charcoal (sunburst) dial options as well. Unfortunately the pictures on the website don't do this watch justice. The Mrs took some excellent photos of it on my wrist which I've been meaning to post sometime but unfortunately haven't gotten around to it. Its a lovely dress watch. 39mm which is a good size for a modern dress watch...any smaller and you'd have to be very confident (hehe) and any larger and I'm afraid it mightn't look so great a few years down the track when average sized watches come back into fashion :p I believe the styling strikes a perfect balance between modern classy and traditional elegant. Not overly clean and minimalist (like those german bauhaus styles) yet not overly exuberant like say a Tissot Le Locle...feel free to pm me if you have any questions ;-)

Reactions: Will3020

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Have to ask...are they even "watch guys?" Seems that nowadays most people rely on their cell phones or tablet for the time. Which seems like a throw-back to WWI, seeing how that's when men (women had wristwatches prior to that, and the concept was deemed to be too "feminine" for guys) started strapping their pocket watches to their wrists...so they didn't have to dig it out of their pocket. De-evolution. :roll: But that's a different topic.

Anyway, my point being, will they wear it and appreciate it? :think:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts