WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha ha, those are cool :) Reminds me of seeing a bumper sticker on a Ford Pinto "My other car's a Porche"
(not that the Apple watch is a Pinto mind you) ;-)

·
Registered
My Timex Snoopy
392 Posts
I've played with it a few times and I think it has great potential...but the hardware is what it is. Every year or two there will be a new one that may be substantially better and the older ones will be incredibly slower just like the older phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mlevit13

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've seen some other AW owners post their doubts, whether here or on other forums. They say, "I don't use it very much," and ask if anyone else feels the same way.

The answers always talk about at least four or five common functions, with some owners stacking even more uses specific to their needs.

If you turned the question around, asking, "What do you use your [traditional watch] for?" … well, the discussion would be a lot shorter, wouldn't it?
I used traditional watches because I didn’t like using pocket watches—even after I upgraded from dumbphones to smartphones. :-!

(Actually, pulling out a smartphone was more cumbersome, especially in a sketchy neighborhood—’cause you gotta look around you, and then pull out your phone, just to tell the time.)

For what I used a watch for, all I need is a $20 digital Casio. But why not buy watches I want? That I found watches that fit my aesthetics were mere bonus points, but wow were they compelling bonus points.

I feel it needs to be watches I own.
Cool!

Are these Live Photos? (even if Live Photos might be a battery waster.)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sure it has negatives, but with the AW, you truly only need one watch. It's arguably the most useful watch ever made, next to the equivalent android watch.

I can use it with a suit, casual, to work out, with anything. It's very easy to clean and swap out straps. Texting, glancing at emails, workout tracking, finding your iPhone with a ping, apple pay, weather, sunrise/sunset times, and using it as a watch are what I use it for the most. I have both the leather loop and rubber strap. The rubber strap is the most comfortable rubber I've ever worn. Consequently, I use the rubber most of the time, the leather loop when I want it to look a bit better.

I recommend the steel/rubber combination for all day use.
I agree 100%, I own several watches and the day I got this guy my rotation completely was off, I wear my AW about 90% of the time and use my other maybe 2-3 times per month. Even small things like checking the weather quickly on my watch before heading out to work is a big convenience, but the big thing is the features like getting a text during a meeting. I have the standard 42mm sport on rubber, weighs next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Returned mine.....I found myself still pulling out my phone for most things....as a traveler I hated trying to bring another charger with me. The straps are awesome....lack of GPS made it useless for use on my runs, hiking...as would not need my phone for those things. Here is hoping for a better AW 2.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hope the AW 2 will extend battery life to at least 2 days and not be tethered to the phone...it may make me reconsider relying on it more than the current revision...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I read an interesting article about the 3-second rule and smartwatches at Verge - it changed the way I think about smartwatches. In short, it shouldn't take more then 3 seconds to perform a function, launch an app or tell the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
3 seconds to check the time is a bit too long for me ;). In the case of a traditional watch it takes less than a second. But in general I agree, most functions should take no longer than 3s to launch.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,604 Posts
An idea which hadn't occurred to me until I read about it on another forum --

The AW can be set to either show the current clock face or the last used app when you raise your wrist, right? Remember, too, that it will always show the time in the upper right corner (with a couple exceptions, like the camera viewfinder app).

Set the watch to show the last app and keep it that way for a week or more as an experiment. See if it makes it easier, or faster, to access whatever app you've been using.

I do it only occasionally, mainly when we go for groceries and I want to see my list in the Clear app. Double-clicking the crown brings up the last-used app, too (and switches to the clock face while using an app), but it's nicer to have the list available at first glance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The time isn’t shown in Photos, Camera viewfinder, and Glances. But—

From within Glances, you just tap the window and then you’ll get into the app which will show the time.

From within Photos or Camera viewfinder, just press the crown once to get to the wall of apps and the clock icon for the watch app will be displaying the time, complete with sweeping second hand.

Voilà, the time in 3 seconds or less.

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
for people who find the AW useful. what do you do with it? i mean beyond clock funtions
- Wakes me up in the morning via taps on my wrist
- Lets me check the weather forecast from anywhere in the house (like when I'm standing in my closet, wondering what to wear for the day)
- Secretly gives me the game score while we're visiting Grandma
- Makes sure I don't miss a text or call when I'm walking to & from work
- Sends me @mention messages from Slack
- Lets me send, and reply to, messages from my wife while leaving my phone in my pocket or backpack
- Gives me an animated radar image of precipitation via RadarScope
- Reminds me to take a break once in a while with Stand reminders (more beneficial than I thought they'd be)
- Helps me screen calls and messages so I don't feel compelled to scramble for my phone for every little noise it makes
- Logs my workouts
- Shows me my grocery list (I use the Clear app for now)
- Pays for groceries via Apple Pay
- Alerts me about upcoming meetings
- Gives me driving directions (when all I need to know is the next turn, it feels a lot safer to see it on the watch versus fumbling for my phone)
- Gives me snippets of news via News360
- etc

I could do more, but these are the things I do regularly.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well, of course I use it as a watch. The time will be on display 99% of the time. And I love complications—battery level, day/date, sunrise/sunset, moon phase, time zones. It even tells me the weather.

What I use it for:

✔︎ Checking my checking account balance. My bank has a watch app does just this one thing, but it’s 99% of the banking I do on my cell phone.

✔︎ Apple Pay to pay for things.

✔︎ Apple Wallet to scan my rewards cards.

✔︎ Checking my shopping list.

✔︎ Checking what song Pandora is playing.

✔︎ Using my watch as the camera’s viewfinder. A godsend if you use tripods or selfie sticks.

✔︎ Stand notifications. I use these to break for water, nibbles of food, eye drops, stretching out, and restroom breaks.

✔︎ Sleep tracking. Apparently, the data is more accurate when you use your watch instead of your phone (on top of the bed).

✔︎ Breathalyzer. I bought the model I did because it has an AW app. But you know, when you’re buzzed at a bar, it’s more convenient to raise your wrist than take out your phone.

✔︎ Alarm clock. As a light sleeper, a tap on my wrist is much gentler than a noise from my phone.

✔︎ Checking Maps to get the distance before my next turn/exit. I don’t have to pull my phone out of my pocket or the car’s glovebox where the iPhone connection is.

✔︎ Receiving text messages and sending and quick canned responses. Siri is horrible with names; but when you don’t have to deal with names, it’s very convenient.

✔︎ Phone calls. I actually use this more often than I thought I would. I just press a button and I’ve answered a phone call—something I can’t do when my phone is in the glovebox.

What I don’t use the watch for is DirectTV and VLC. Using your watch to control the TV sounds practical . . . until you have to deal with the horrible interface of DirecTV or the buggy-ness of VLC. Though prolly your experience will be better if you have an AppleTV.

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
Oh yeah, AppleTV - the AW remote app swipes more nicely than the iPhone's remote app, and it's as good as the remote control itself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Indeed, I've had the Apple Watch for a few weeks now, and my only complaint is that it sometimes makes me feel that my Mechanical Watch Collection is kinda pointless.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts