WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,474 Posts
I am thinking about one. How useful is it , not connected to an IPhone?
You need an iPhone (iPhone 5 or newer) to configure it. Once set up, it's marginally useful. It can still do quite a few things by connecting to a known wifi network (one to which you've connected your phone, as the phone copies network details to the watch).

But, the data depository, so to speak, is the phone. All the AW apps are connected to iPhone apps, even the apps which natively reside on the watch. All the Health data gets collected onto the phone, too.

The AW was made from the start as an iPhone accessory, not a replacement. Some people want it to do everything, and others realize it'd be silly to expect a tiny screen to do the same things a smartphone is good for. If you're comfortable with this, and you wouldn't mind not having your phone attached to your body all day long, give the AW a shot.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Indeed, I've had the Apple Watch for a few weeks now, and my only complaint is that it sometimes makes me feel that my Mechanical Watch Collection is kinda pointless.
This one. 🏽

Because it's soooo useful, it's a monkey wrench for my rotation. Now, I only wear my mechanicals during weekends. It's AW all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those who use the AW as a morning alarm that 'taps' your wrist, when do you charge it--as it's worn while you sleep?

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,474 Posts
For those who use the AW as a morning alarm that 'taps' your wrist, when do you charge it--as it's worn while you sleep?

I charge mine in the evening, after showering, while my wife and I sit down for dessert and TV. Others have said they charge it for a bit while they get ready for bed and then again in the morning.

Roughly, its battery gains about 1-2% per minute on the charger (by my guess), so when we're talking about an hour or more of charging time, plus the watch rarely dropping under 30%, it ends up with the watch always having a pretty good charge.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It needs only three hours to go from 0% to 100%. And depending on the day, I’m usually between 20% to 60% at the end of the day. I charge it when washing the dishes or when showering.

·
Registered
733 Posts
As for charging, I also want to add that when the next AW comes out, I will buy one. Of course yes, I’ll want all the new features, but instead of selling the old one, I’ll keep the old one. This way, I’ll then have two watches—one for the day, and one for sleep tracking/exercise.

I don’t know how many watches I’ll want—what my max limit will be—but I know I want at least two.

·
Registered
122 Posts
After reading and demoing the watch at the store, I actually like it. Planning on one once my Galaxy contract ends this year. How are you all liking it? Do you recommend the larger screen for daily use?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ordered my 42mm on stainless the day it was released and have found it almost indispensable, I try wearing my other watches, they look better but they just don't perform.
There is one thing that I find a tad annoying and you would think that in the year 2016 with the technological advancements that we have, someone would have though how to make the day/date visible when the minute or hour hand is near the 3.00 mark. skeletal hands?, auto shift the day date, cut out the hands around the day/date, something, anything, oh I know, you can always use 'time travel'.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,846 Posts
Ordered my 42mm on stainless the day it was released and have found it almost indispensable, I try wearing my other watches, they look better but they just don't perform.
There is one thing that I find a tad annoying and you would think that in the year 2016 with the technological advancements that we have, someone would have though how to make the day/date visible when the minute or hour hand is near the 3.00 mark. skeletal hands?, auto shift the day date, cut out the hands around the day/date, something, anything, oh I know, you can always use 'time travel'.
Many suggestions to get the 42mm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes. I do not recommend the 38mm unless your fingers are ultra dainty slim.
Thanks. My finger tips are somewhat large. I went again to play around with the 38 and I kept pressing the wrong app on the main screen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I first got my 42mm space grey I really loved it. Unfortunately my work, (12 hour days in a clean room suit working on tools), was not conducive to wearing it as often as I would have liked. I did still put it on, on the weekends but ended up turning off the activity tracker and otherwise not using (or forgetting about) as many functions as I would have liked. My conclusion became that the AW is not really a great "part timer".
However, now that I've more or less been forced into voluntary early retirement :) I'm once again loving it! At least for me, the more I wear it, the more things I find use for as it melds into my daily routine. The activity tracker is back on and I've finally started playing around with the different watch faces, (don't know why I was stuck on modular for so long). I even went out and got a black nylon woven band for it, which I also really like. I was hoping the new band would be a bit larger than the standard sport strap, and it is, but not by much. I was wearing the sport band on the 2nd to last hole, the woven band on the 3rd from last (but there's not much left to tuck into the keeper). So, if you're large wristed your probably better off with a 3rd party or the XL sport band, (wish they made those in different colors!).
Anyhow, just wanted to post about my re-found excitement about the AW. If anyone is on the fence about it, I will say I have absolutely no regrets about buying it.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts