WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,604 Posts
Can you tell me the drawbacks of the aluminium version by chance?
Once the anodized finish is scratched, it's pretty much scratched for good and can't be buffed out (not important if you're accustomed to watches being worn). The Ion-X glass is basically modern iPhone glass, so it's a little more impact-resistant but not as scratch-resistant as sapphire. It has a plastic (aka "composite") back, which eventually shows wear marks from the charging puck. The gray and rose gold colors have a higher nickel content, so if you've got skin with metal allergies, you might see some irritation (this goes for the versions of the sport straps with gray and rose gold pins, too).

Most of the differences, then, are cosmetic. If you're the kind of watch owner who doesn't mind a few dings, you'll be okay with the aluminum model. It's very light, too, which is cool if you like lightweight watches; some AW buyers haven't worn watches in years (at my guess from an informal poll at another site, probably a third of them) and are taken aback by the weight of the steel AW. But, the steel model will look better for longer, probably good enough for a battery change every two or three years (yet to be tested by the public) and 7-10 years of software support (my personal bet).

Other than those things, it's the same watch. Apple didn't make any system features exclusive to any particular model.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The main reason I chose the aluminium was price. I have the space grey and so far it's holding up really well. This surprises me a bit as I constantly accidentally bang it on door jams and such walking around. Honestly I can't really see any wear on it yet, and I've even dropped it a time or two on a hardwood floor. As mentioned above, it's functionally identical to the SS.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the sport version too and it is the watch I wear most of the time because of its usefulness for me. I still love all my other watches but I have come to depend on the Apple Watch lately.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm not convinced. It's not dressy enough to be a proper dress watch, and not rugged enough to be a proper sports watch. It's also not serviceable really, given Apple's forced replacement policy (high repair costs that border the MSRP).

I'd say it's a great addition, and would have a place in a collection depending on your day to day tech needs, but to say it replaces other watches outright doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,604 Posts
I'm not convinced. It's not dressy enough to be a proper dress watch, and not rugged enough to be a proper sports watch. It's also not serviceable really, given Apple's forced replacement policy (high repair costs that border the MSRP).

I'd say it's a great addition, and would have a place in a collection depending on your day to day tech needs, but to say it replaces other watches outright doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
I'll repost what I added in another recent thread. I also linked back to my thread from December where I compared my AW to all my other watches, which range from a solar-atomic G-Shock to a 34mm vintage Omega auto, after four months of owning the AW:

I laid out many of my thoughts here back in December:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f586/comparing-my-aw-rest-my-collection-pic-heavy-2699457.html

I've only continued using my AW almost every day since then, too.

I'll also restate what I said near the bottom of the opening post in that thread:
Bonus points for the AW:
- Gives me the weather when I’m standing in the closet at 6 AM deciding what to wear;
- Gives me snippets of news while I’m “meditating” in the bathroom (ahem);
- Gives me texts and notifies me of emails from family and my work email account;
- Reminds me to keep moving during the day (and ruthlessly displays how little I move on off days);
- Works as a remote for my AppleTV (and works very well, too);
- Wakes me up with some silent taps on my wrist;
- Lets me receive, read, and quick-reply to messages without distracting my work colleagues during lunch;
- Secretly shows me the hockey score while my wife and I hang out with Grandma;
- Taps and dings when I need to get our laundry from the communal laundry room;
- Lets me tick items off the grocery list without lifting my hand from the cart;
- Lets me control my iPhone’s music;
- Taps my wrist to tell me when to turn left or right;
- Lets me put my phone in my wife’s purse so I can give her all my attention while we’re out.

I cannot overstate how big of a deal that last point was for me. It’s taken me years to realize how easy it is to progress from merely checking the time on the phone to getting lost in Flipboard or playing through levels of Candy Crush. I have to carry my phone to stay connected to my job, but I don’t have to also keep using it to distract myself from the people in the room with me. With the Watch, I can remain accessible without becoming distant.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Well, I am saving up for an MDV-106 and a pair of G-Shocks to use as sport watches.

As for a dress watch, maybe trends will change. I went to a funeral last year and felt completely in place with my all-black AW matching my all-black outfit. I also went to a wedding earlier this year and many of the teens and young adults were wearing their AWs. I wouldn’t wear an AW Sport to a wedding like they did, but I’d wear an AW Hermès.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I lose my phone too much for the watch to work for me. I hate getting calls anyway, so it works out ok.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll repost what I added in another recent thread. I also linked back to my thread from December where I compared my AW to all my other watches, which range from a solar

Aside from the extensive list on this thread, for people who travel worldwide a lot, it's a great watch to have as it automatically adjusts time to match the time of wherever you may be.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

I've used it daily since I wrote my review. It's held up as well as any g-shock I've owned. I've worn it casually, formal, to work, to weddings, to interviews it works with everything. Granted a classic three hander looks better with a suit, but I haven't even purchased another watch since I got this one.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts