1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
your strap bag gets pretty full.

I was looking for a metal band for my 'Fieldmaster Chrono,'
and lo and behold, I had one in my bag.

It's brand new and even in brushed finish like the watch.

I have no idea when I got it or what it came on, but it fit
perfectly.

Nothing like finding one in your own backyard.

:mad:)

Kurt

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,344 Posts
Looks like it is in fine shape too!

·
Premium Member
73,611 Posts
Nice find Kurt. Unfortunately I know just what I've got so there is no chance of me dropping on a "freebie" like that.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Good find. I have a chest of discarded straps, bracelets, Nato's that have accumulated too. What's sad is some of these straps/bracelets are almost the same price as an 007.

·
Registered
852 Posts
40 years. Wow. That statement is impressive all by itself. I know you have a huge collection based on some of your posts that I have seen--it would be interesting to hear about how you got started, and how your interests have changed and grown over the years. Well, at least I'd be interested.

Reactions: Condor97

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I started with a $9.99 Timex bought from the window of Peoples Drug Store while on vacation with my parents in Atlantic City in 1960. I turned in soda bottles from a construction site near home to raise the $10.00 to buy the watch.

From there it just continued. In college (Iowa) I bought a gold Bulova Wrist alarm from a Jewelry Store in Carroll Iowa. When my parents found out how much I spent for it they made me take it back. I earned the money by carrying sides of beef from the factory into refrigerated containers at the Iowa Beef Packers plant near school. They were open 24 hours a day and encouraged students to work. You could show up virtually anytime and work for as long as you wanted.

While lifeguarding along the Jersey Shore I bought a Croton Chronograph from EJ Korvettes. I actually opened my first credit card at EJK to buy the watch, it was $65.00 if memory serves.

When I got married I bought a Rolex GMT Master in gold and stainless. It was $999.00 at Bailey Banks and Biddle and my wife almost divorced :)@) me over the amount. Five years later I traded up to a solid gold model. I wore that for 15 years before buying an AP Huitieme Chronograph in 18kt and the swiss march was on.

Since then I've been lucky enough to own most of the watches I lusted after. Ten years ago I had an Epiphany of sorts. I had a Lange Doublesplit, Patek 5970, and my AP locked away in a safe because all I wanted to wear were my Seiko's and Citizens.

I can't explain it, but I feel the same way about the motorcycles I love to ride. I have two Japanese touring bikes that I keep in Idaho Falls. Both are 20 years old and both have over 100k miles on them (1992 Yamaha Venture Royale & 1996 Honda Goldwing Interstate). Neither has ever had any major work done to it other than routine oil changes, tires, etc. Neither has ever left me stranded in all of the touring that I've done between Alaska and Mexico. My touring buddies unfortunately can't say the same thing. Many times I've had a Ducati, BMW or Harley riding companion on the back seat of my bike as we look for the nearest dealer to find parts and/or service.

The watches have been just as bulletproof.

Lately, what interests me in NEW TECHNOLOGY. I still have a pretty active interest in Vintage Watches but an even stronger passion for what's on the horizon.

Life (to me) is about breaking through the glass ceiling and heading toward new vistas. That's why I tour, and in a similar vein, that's why I am fascinated by all aspects of time.

Thanks for checking in and Happy New Year!

Kurt

·
Registered
14,923 Posts
LOL! Nice.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That's a great story, Kurt. Thanks so much for sharing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts